Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Aversions

Does anyone not like specific foods because of past V* experiences? Like I cannot stand tomato soup or sloppy joes. I also cannot eat at any resturants where I know people have contracted food poisoning in the past. Are any of you other emets this way?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

hey there,
    i think practically everyone here has these food hang ups for obvoius reasons.

however, i really dont wanna put mine here coz i have in the past and coz ive read these posts in the past and lets just say its a bad influence! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

i guess i just dont think its all that healthy or constructive to list foods that are linked with past v* encounters (no offence to u though guineaash - or is it really Ashley..?! - please dont hate me now for being honest... [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img] )

ems
    xx

ps - wats a sloppy joe....i guess we dont have them in the UK!

I guess I am the same way! I will NOT eat at restaurants that I have heard had food poisoning episodes. EEEEK!!! I also won't eat certain foods that I have v'd. You will never again hear of me eating stove top stuffing again!

I will never set foot in a restaurant that is privately owned, or in a small town. Makes you wonder how their health regulations are. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] Charlotte

lol i think i have the best food aversian. I will NOT eat walkers beef and onion crisps because thats what i ate last time i V*, dont worry the crisps didnt make me ill, i had a bug but ever since i wont touch them. for some unknown reason i also threw away the clothes i was wearing! im wierd

I dont like eating a privately owned restaurants either except for a few i have been going to for years so know they are ok. I normally go to a restaurant thats in the whitbread group so for example, pizzahut, TGI Fridays, Beefeater, Brewsters etc because i work at pizza hut now and have worked at thier other restaurants before and i know how high the company hygene standard is.

just the sight of bake beans makes me feel sick, no particular reason, just think they are gross lol.

other than that i will eat anything, indian food, chinese food etc as long as im sure it is cooked right

holly18.. the clothing thing you mentioned is actually interesting to me. I had this one blue shirt that the first time I wore it, one of my best friends v*ed (I was with her.. still haunts me, it sucks). Then, I wore the shirt like 6 months later (it had been washed, and i'm pretty sure she didn't have a bug) and I got sick! I thought that was really weird, so I shoved the shirt to the back of my closet and forgot about it. A year later.. I was trying to convince myself that the shirt wasn't a "bad luck" charm and I was convinced I should wear it. I set it out with a pair of jeans the night before and woke up the next morning to find out my sister had v*ed during the night. It was too weird, and by that point I was almost scared of this shirt, so I threw it away. I don't know.. but I think 3 instances are too many! I didn't want to chance anything else!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

oh, and ebj.. I was just curious to see if anyone else didn't eat certain foods because of emet. I didn't mean to offend anyone [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img].

oh i know u didnt babe! its just sometimes i feel that some people might just read things and then think - 'oh - s/he has a point abt XYZ - i better not eat that then!' - but maybe im wrong hehe!

Holly - thanks for the input on the hygiene standards! i love pizza hut and TGIs!

ems xx

lol im sick of pizza! i even had to work last night serving stupid pizza. lol We were hoping the manager would dish out this wine we have in the store that we cant sell anymore (seeing as we stayed late on news years eve to get everythintg done) but no what do we get, pizza!

I can't take large pills anymore cuz I was taking this antibiotic that was making me so sick and now the memory of the pills is too much. And theres certain foods that I can't stomach anymore. A certain kind of juice box { Five Alive Passionate Peach } that I absolutely refuse to ingest since thats what I drank when I was sick. Xmas dinner had me paranoid cuz my dad likes it rare and I was terrified that it wasn't cooked properly. He just doesn't get my fear. But I don't care, I went and microwaved the roast beef [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

take care, RaVeN

Hmmm, where does the list begin......hot dogs, shrimp, corn......I can pretty much come up with a reason why I should stay away from just about every food except crackers, bread and diet coke!

I say NO to sour cream and onion chips-horrible vomiting when I was 13 I think. Will not eat any seafood. I will not eat left overs or anything close to or over the expiration date.

curly fries. or fries with seasoning on them, gummy candy, fish, chicken, bacon, pancakes, sausages, bbq chips, coffee, lots and lots more,

but i also have this thing that i get scared to mix different types of food together in one sitting, like if i have a steak and potatoe dinner, i wouldnt eat ice cream after, things of that nature

i also cannot stand banana, just the smell of bananas makes me feel so sick. I have never eaten one in my life so there is no emet related reason to this, i just think they are gross.

My family all eat liver quite alot, i think this is disgusting too even though i have never eaten it. I cant even be in the house while its being cooked because of the smell. My reasoning behind this is that the one of the functions of the liver is to remove toxins from the body, why would somebody want to eat that? lol

Also wont eat kidneys (my family have steak and kidney pie alot) for the same reason as above.

I haven't eaten any meat in nearly a month because I get scared of what's in it. I don't eat as many eggs as I used to either. I used to love fast food, such as Wendy's, but I don't eat that anymore. I also read on a board about food poisoning not that long ago where a lot of people said they got sick from Subway so I don't like that place. Oh, yeah, and Taco Bell....NO WAY!

The last time I v'ed (20 years ago), it was yogurt, and I haven't eaten it since!! I also avoid seafood, especially since I live in Kansas City (completely landlocked). And onions, every time I have one in my mouth I onvoluntarily gag. Other than that. I eat just about everything!!

hey! yeh i can relate to this one.. i hae a list as long as my arm of foods i avoid
    some of which include; chocolate, baked beans, pizza, pasta sauces, garlic, sausage, tomato sauce, curry, prawn crackers, cottage pie, gravy, onions, some cheese, toast, sticky sweets, fish, burgers, relish, mayo..blahh! see what i mean?!

I had a subway salad a few months ago and I got diareah from it, I also heard of someone getting food poisoning there too.

I really think its the way the food is handled. No offense because I know there are a lot of responsible teenagers on this site~ but alot of fastfood restaurants have teenagers working there and some just dont care. They dont properly wash hands, or dont at all, or they arent properly educated on cross contamination. This also happened to me at Dennys with a salad, again diareah. I am very picky where I eat.

yes i know what you mean. ond of my old teachers got food poisoning when she was in hospital and all she ate was salad, the person who prepared it must have not washed thier hands. Cross contamination can happen so easily and make what we think to be safe foods very dangerous. im only 18 and work at a restaurant, and was even a cook at another restaurant when i was sixteen , but i am so paranoid about food hygene, i always cared about the food i was preparing. Also i am a perfectionist in pretty much everything i do so that had something todo with it. i think that restaurants, especially those that employ a large number of young people, need to be more carefull when recruiting and offer better traning. I have worked at places where the hygeine training was terrible

**cough** macdonalds**cough**

i think strict penalties should be put in place for food handlers who do not comply to hygeine standards.

Bleh!!! I will not eat ever at Mcdonalds after seeing SuperSize Me. Did anyone see this movie? Just goes to show you what can happen after years of being a vegetarian and then eating crap for a month. I would not recomend seeing it. Not emet friendly. Not many movies are emet friendly these days.

i wanted to go see that at the cinema when it came out. i have an unlimited cinema card so really wanted to go seing as i wouldnt have to pay for it, but as you said, i was worried it wouldnt be emet freindly. i might rent it out and get my boyfreind to watch it first so that he can warn me to look away before any V*scenes. didnt the bloke in the movie go into liver failure or something very serious?

Im not sure, didnt get to watch the whole thing, didnt even want to after the non- emet friendly scene.

I Can't eat chili! I had a bad experience with it as a child...and I can't eat eggs. Their smell is nauseating.

I can't eat ice cream of any kind anymore.

There are a tons of foods I won't eat, the foods I will eat is a much shorter list.

Yes. I think that most of us here do the same. I also think that some non-emets tend to do the same too!

Here is a small list of foods I will not eat, either because I have gotten sick after eating them, or I am just afraid of eating them:
    1. <LI>Food from Burger King (I got sick the day after eating it, but I do not think that was what caused it, but I am still avoiding it)</LI>
      <LI>Swedish Meatballs (This is the thing I think really made me sick, not the Burger King)</LI>
      <LI>Any seafood (except Van De Kamps fish sticks, which are probably not actually considered seafood. I also will eat fried fish, like cod and stuff)</LI>
      <LI>I do not eat at restaurants that look old or run-down. I somehow get bad vibes from them, even though their food might be good and fine.</LI>
      <LI>I do not eat oranges. Probably just because I do not care for them that much, but I think I might have gotten sick after eating one. But I like orange juice.</LI>

So, there are probably more that I cannot think of right now.

Lizzy

I will never eat pork chops again! Or anything fried that smells
    like them. I also won't eat Wheat Chex, because I had a bad
    experience with them also. I can't chew those big colored
    gumballs. We got a gumball machine for Christmas one year, and my
    brother sister and I chewed every piece of gum in the whole
    container. The next day we all got a bug. I could smell the
    gum!!! Yuck!!!

No chili. Used to love the stuff... but... then bad emet experience. Not due to the chili itself, but still.

If I'm going to touch chicken, pork, red meat, turkey, fish, etc., I
    have to be absolutely convinced that it hasn't been contaminated and
    that it's been cooked past its proper temperature, just to be
    safe. And if it's lunch meat, it has to be absolutely fresh -
    more than a day old, and I won't touch it. For these reasons, I
    don't touch any meat whatsoever, or any meat-containing dishes, in the
    cafeteria here on campus. I work there and I know what goes on
    behind the scenes, so to speak.

No eating at restaurants where I know someone else has gotten sick from
    the food. And no eating at privately-owned restaurants or
    small-town restaurants... like someone else said, who knows what their
    hygiene practices are! I'm also incredibly wary of Mexican
    places... seems most of them are a little more seedy than I'm
    comfortable with.

No tuna. My best friend had a horrible case of food poisoning
    from tuna last year, and it traumatized me. He was incredibly ill
    all day and ended up in the ER with dehydration. I won't go near
    anything tuna now.

I won't eat anything that's near its expiration date. Especially milk, yogurt, and meat.

And I was surprised to read that I'm not the only one who does this...
    I ban clothing that I was wearing when I was sick. Like a T-shirt
    I used to love... happened to be wearing it that day along with my
    favorite scrub pants... and I couldn't bring myself to ever put them on
    again. They went straight to Goodwill - after being washed, of
    course. I can't even wear an outfit like that now - tshirt and
    tie-close pants (scrubs, pj pants, etc.) for fear it will happen again.

you know, it's not just emets who don't eat certain foods after they have v'ed them. My sister isn't an emet, but she will not eat Spaghetti Os because she got sick from them as a child, she also had the stomach bug 2 weeks ago and had eaten lunch meat and now she can't eat it anymore!!

* Mini Oranges (Tangerines, Clemintines, etc)

* Orange Juice

* Fish

* Eggs

* Garlic

All that because of v* incidents. I also do not eat at Kentucky Fried
    Chicken Places, they gave me food posioning once! Grrrr them!![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

hmmm my list will probably be just as random as everyone elses....

. fruit cocktail

. kahlua pie from bakers square

. ben &amp; jerry's blueberry cheesecake icecream ( i was actaully afraid of cheesecake for about 10 years beacuse of this)

. chili dogs (eew, just the thought of them..)

. egg nog

. white castle

i also won't eat at this divey little breakfast place by my house
    called Papa Bear...and when i was younger i wouldnt eat grilled cheese
    or sprinklens yogurt for a looong time.

i found it funny what one of you said earlier about the blue shirt. i
    had the same sort of situation with a stuffed reindeer i had. the first
    night i slept with it i had gotten the stomach flu. i was only 6, but i
    had already become slightly neurotic about being sick so i never slept
    with it again. when i was 8, i decided it was time to try it out again
    because, afterall, it was a soft animal to sleep with. as luck would
    have it, i got sick that night. i never slept with it again. EVER.

*.* you say there is no perfect place, i say i know this is true..im just learning how to smile, thats not easy to do*.*

i hear of a lot of food posining from sub way and kfc so i stay away from them places. and i have to eat where it is clean. if old and run down forget it.