Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just started cognitive therapy with a new therapist, my 2nd session was last night. I asked her about EMDR and she referred me to another doctor in my town. I was so ecstatic that there was even a doctor who did EMDR in my town!!!! I wanted to ask you since you had a good experience with this treatment, when should I add EMDR? Iam going to continue seeing this therapist for talk therapy and some gradual desensitization, and she said I could add EMDR whenever I was comfortable with it. Is there a good time to start? or should I have a good base with the talk therapy first? I guess I'm just curious if I need to "know" anything before I start EMDR or if I just go and tell my phobia and we work from there. I'd appreciate your opinion. Thanks!

Josie
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Hey Josie,

I'd say it's up to your therapist when to start the EMDR. she will have to screen you for certain dissociative disorders first. But if she's confident you can begin whenever you like, then it's up to you. I would like to get to know and trust the therapist first, and feel really comfortable. But I don't know how many sessions you can pay for, or how that's going to work. I had 20 sessions with my therapist before I did any EMDR, and I had 50 sessions before being "cured". Since then I've had 75 more sessions, but we don't use any EMDR anymore.

So I'd say it really is up to you!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.