Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Scared, sick child

Hello all,

I don't think i've ever posted here before, but my emet. is rearing its ugly head again and I am so scared. WARNING: GRAPHIC.
    My 9 yr old daughter came home from school Friday and said she didn't feel well. She slept for a couple of hours, then got up all of a sudden and v. all over the kitchen floor and into the sink. (poor thing, could not help it) I went into panic mode and asked my husband to take her upstairs and clean her up, etc. Then I was faced with the god-awful task of cleaning up the v. I had to do it myself, because I was afraid if my husband cleaned it, it would not be thorough enough. I put on two face masks and and cleaned it up, the whole time shaking and breathing thru my mouth so as not to smell it. Now I am petrified I will catch this s.v. It's only been 48 hrs., so I know it could still happen to me. It doesn't help that I keep hearing about other people who've had it and know that it is circulating. I guess I just wanted to share this because my husband and older daughter have absolutely no sympathy for me regarding this phobia. They just think I'm being ridiculous. I am 47 years old and have had emet. since I was six. The last time I v. was 28 yrs. ago, believe it or not. I HATE HATE HATE what this phobia does to me. I honestly would rather die or take a severe beating rather than v. Dear God help me.

Default Re: Scared, sick child

sorry you're going through this right now.......but 48 hours is great....i would think that soon you could breathe easy.

i don't have any children......could never imagine taking care of a sick child......sounds selfish, i know......but always scared the crap out of me.

how did you deal with v when she was younger? i'm always amazed at emets that can do it......so congrats to you

hope everyone is feeling great by now.......

also, welcome to the forum......you should find some comfort here...i know i have
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well continue to be thorough.

Remember, it's the oral-fecal route. Though there is a lot of talk about ingesting airborne "particles" when in close proximity, I find that to be much less likely an event than is commonly believed. Considering you're paranoid, I highly doubt you ingested too much of the matter, if any at all.

There are also varying degrees of infection. When my girlfriend's 2 year old was ill, he v*'d about four or five times through the night, and neither of us fled (I wasn't "emet" back then). I ended up contracting the illness full on, but she only suffered a day of severe n*, and no v* at all. Being a mom I'm sure you know that when a two year old is sick, it's basically impossible not to be exposed.

Ahhh, poor you, and what a shame that your husband and older daughter aren't more supportive

As the others have said, just keep your hygiene up and try to talk yourself out of any panicky thoughts. MUCH easier said than done, I know, because if it were me I'd be feeling exactly the same way you do. The fact that it's been 48 hours already is a good sign. Did your daughter continue v* after the first episode in the kitchen? I know you say there's a sv going round your area but she may just have eaten something dodgy at school.

Hang in there, it'll all be over soon x

Hi There

I totally know how you feel. I have 2 children and I can totally understand where you are coming from. If either of them are unwell it is me that has to clear up. I am ok doing it, its the afterwards....My legs shake and so does my hands and I feel like I just want to run away as far as possible. I cant sleep and eating, well thats out of the question. My husband and I have had so many arguements when they have been ill as he just cannot understand it, even though he suffers with stress and depression !!!!!!

It will pass just as quickly as it came but for me its always afterwards....At the moment I havent had an evening meal for about 3-4 weeks since the last episode of my kids !!!!!!!!!

Keep strong......

Welcome cimarron and MiniHaHa! Be sure to check out the "Information and Research" section here, or click on my link below for the same information.

You should find a lot of help and support here!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.