Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Roommates and bathrooms

Sorry, long post!

Okay, I share an apartment with two girls and the one's boyfriend who basically lives there, all three of which are typical college "lets party!!!" people (assigned living sucks!). Everyone else has their own bathroom, except me. I have the "shared bathroom" which connects to the kitchen. They have agreed not to use it, but I think that they sometimes do. Oh, and there is no way to lock it from the outside

I came home today to find the toilet seat up. It could have been anything from the boyfriend just had to pee while his girlfriend was in the shower to someone couldn't make it upstairs to their bathroom to throw up. (and the one girl gets sick a LOT)

Everything else is the same way I left it, not trace of V anywhere, no one has cleaned it since I last did. My boyfriend assures me that if they were in that much of a rush, they would have made some mess. I'm not freaking out about it, but, once again, I am very uncomfortable in my own house. Neither girl has any common sense in their heads and the one got three stomach bugs in three months (personally, I think that she doesn't know a thing about food safety and gave herself food poisoning), and she loves getting wasted. The other has thankfully been healthy. Due to terrible sound proofing, I can hear EVERYTHING that happens in her bathroom, so thank god shes the healthy one! I can't move out, and they'll charge me over $200 to change to a different room which isn't guaranteed to be any better.

Advice?

Default Re: Roommates and bathrooms

In all honesty - $200 is not that bad if you will be getting your own bathroom.

All emet reasons aside - I would hate to have a non-lockable door on the bathroom.

Just my two cents!
    David

if moving is not an option i would just make sure and spray/wipe down the toilet and faucet handles, etc before i used it......if you think someone's been using it. get a bottle of clorox clean up and maybe some clorox wipes and keep them in there.......i pretty much do that when my husband isn't feeling well.....we only have one bathroom........
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Clorox wipes are my friends. I wipe down every hard surface in the apartment after every time that my one roommate gets sick.

After re-reading my lease, not only is it $260 to get a change, but I don't get pick the room, so I could end up in the same situation that I am now, and it is not required to be the same type of room that I am in right now, meaning that I could be sharing both a bedroom and a bathroom with someone. At least the roommates that I have are nice people, even if their habits do make me angry.

I just need to focus on next year. Next year I'll have a bunny (emet-friendly pets, they physically can't throw up, even though animal sickness doesn't bother me, I still don't want to clean it up.) and be living with my brother, who also has an anxiety disorder and as a result, is very understanding. For now, I think I just need to relax, get some more clorox, and focus on the future. Thank you for listening to my stressed-out rant.

God that is a horrible situation. Have you made rules about having company over? Especially if there's parties. People may think your bathroom is for the guests and drunk people may go in there and puke.

I basicly just don't get too close to people unless I really feel comfatable with them.
    If you have guests round, maybe you should lock the doors that connect to the bathroom, or a even easier way. Hang a sign that says: DO NOT USE; BROKEN!
    Lacey X

There is no door that connects to the bathroom, only the bathroom door, and it can only be locked from the inside. The only way that I could 100% guarantee that no one uses it would be to lock myself in there/live in it Yeah, not gunna happen! I wish that I could lock it, then this wouldn't be a problem.

I do have a sign on the door asking people not to use it, and usually friends, drunk or otherwise, tend to hang out in the other people's bed room. This way, if they get sick, it should be in their bathrooms and not mine. Thankfully, not too many drunk people have been over here, they usually go to frat parties and get trashed there. But I'm gone on weekends, so who knows what happens then.

The one girl (the one who doesn't get sick as much) can't stand hearing it because it makes her nauseous. She doesn't actually fear it, but she won't let her drunk friends stay over because she doesn't want to deal with it either, which is good enough for me! Really, the only problem is the other girl. (seriously, a stomach bug every month on top of the usual colds/flus, no one is that unlucky, she has to be doing something wrong!)

I know how you feel. I know it's not there fault, but I find constantly stomach-bug stricken people absolutley intolerible...
    I can't really think of anything else!?
    ~Lacey X

I think I'm going to get some scrap booking paper (larger, more colorful, and more likely to stand out on the white door) and some lettering to make a larger/more visible sign. If nothing else, no one will be able to claim that they didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLacey View Post
    ... I find constantly stomach-bug stricken people absolutley intolerible...
    Me too. But once I see someone in total misery, I just want to see them feel better and any frustration towards them goes away.

One of my friends was so sickly we called him "gastrically challenged" or "digestively delayed." It was at least 2 or 3 times a year he had a SV, and he would have random two-day episodes of diarrhea for no reason.

Peace,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Me too. But once I see someone in total misery, I just want to see them feel better and any frustration towards them goes away.

One of my friends was so sickly we called him "gastrically challenged" or "digestively delayed." It was at least 2 or 3 times a year he had a SV, and he would have random two-day episodes of diarrhea for no reason.

Peace,
    David

Poor guy. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    Poor guy. :-(
    Yeah, I felt that way for him too!

I think, based on talking with him, that it was a result of multiple factors. Part of the problem was stress at home; doctors CONVINCING HIM he had stomach problems; and a steady diet of pizza and hamburgers.

This friend was in his 30's before he would venture outisde of Pizza Hut and Wendy's.

Amazingly, once he moved out on his own, and started eating a wider variety of food, he doesn't seem to have these problems anymore.

Peace,
    David

Maybe you could fit a padlock to the outside, then it'll be just your bathroom? Filling the holes you make to screw a lock to the door once you decide to move out would be easy enough and even if you did lose some of your deposit over it, surely having the peace of mind of having your own bathroom would be worth it anyway

Peace,
    David
    Take the d* out and you have technically discribed my beautiful cousin. She is absolutly always ill. She is never ill in the "Norovirus Months", but at the weirdest of times. As much as I love her, I can't stand hugging and kissing her, I want to sooooo badly though! I have a fear of being in small spaces with her, because when I was about 7, and she was 4, we were in her mom's tiny car, and I was squished next to her and she suddenly started v*!!!
    Urrrgh, I feel you pain!!!
    ~Hugs, Lacey

Quote Originally Posted by Andrilla View Post
    I think I'm going to get some scrap booking paper (larger, more colorful, and more likely to stand out on the white door) and some lettering to make a larger/more visible sign. If nothing else, no one will be able to claim that they didn't see it.
    Sounds great!
    But what happens if they are suddenly stricken with short term memory loss?! ( )

My mom snoops around my room so i went to lowes and got a door handle that licks from the inside and out. It's really simple to take a door knob off and you can switch it back when you're gone. Cost me like 10. Problem solved!

ooh, nice. As soon as I get my next paycheck, I'm going to have to look into that!

Quote Originally Posted by cherylcupcake View Post
    My mom snoops around my room so i went to lowes and got a door handle that licks from the inside and out. It's really simple to take a door knob off and you can switch it back when you're gone. Cost me like 10. Problem solved!
    Yes this works well! They call it an "entry doorknob set" designed for a home's frontdoor.

I had to install one on my bedroom years ago, because my sister and her friends were snooping around in my room.

There are just 4 screws to put it together. You should need only a phillips screwdriver for the whole project!

David

Talking Re: Roommates and bathrooms

'because my sister and her friends were snooping around in my room'
    David
    GREAT! Fineally. A solution for 10 year old boy's ecsessive (I'm a awful speller....) snooping!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.