Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default can anti emetics cause long term side affects????

i take anti emetics when i go away anywere, if i feel overly anxious, i prob take them nearly every day and i'm worried about long term side affects ive looked it up on the internet but can't find much info. So if anybody does know anything can u let me kno.
    thanks

Default Re: can anti emetics cause long term side affects????

i suppose it depends on which anti emetics you are taking.........
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i take motilium 10.

Ginger doesn't. 100% natural.

She's right. They make Ginger pills that are 100% natural and help calm the stomach.

I've been wondering this myself. I wanted to ask my doctor but I thought maybe someone on here would know first.
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All medications can have side effects regardless of what they are. I used to take a lot of Phenergan - like probably 3 or 4 times a week and it pretty much turned me into a zombie during that time. I couldn't drive because I was so tired. I also worry about them becoming less effective and perhaps not working when I actually do need them, so I only take one once a month, if that.

I can recall something said on Oprah by Dr. Oz about anti-emetics..there was this woman who had pretty much become partially paralyzed overnight (some weird muscle disorder) but I can vividly recall him mentioning anti-emetics in relation to that...like as a long-term effect (I guess if used frequently). Sorry that sounds so vague but it was a few years ago.

I guess best thing is to research or ask your doctor. But anti-emetics should NOT be frequently used.

On second though, I wonder if ginger can give you an ulcer if used frequently? It is very spicy and when you eat it, you can feel the warmth of it in your belly. I wonder if this would be harmful over a long period of time?

@Mooki, I'd have to vote highly unlikely on the ginger causing ulcers. Spicy foods do not cause ulcers, Heliobacter pylori does and so do some NSAIDs like too much aspirin, aleve or ibuoprofen. As to the original quaetion all antiemetics have potential side effects but I think the most likely ones when they are used as an emet might use them would be
    Psycological dependence, dries out mouth and can cause constipation. I have heard of extremely rare but serious "extrapyramidal" side effects similar to restless leg syndrome being reported. I think the only realistic problems would be they could mask a serious illness or you could become distressed if you were psychologically dependent on them and for some reason couldn't get them.