Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Trainee CBT therapist?

I met my CBT therapist today. We are starting therapy in a couple of weeks and she says I can have up to 16 sessions. I am also having hypnotherapy. Only problem is, my CBT therapist is a trainee? I asked her why I have a trainee therapist and she said that i'm too young (i'm 18 in a month) to have a professional adult therapist. But she really cares, and she has a supervisor. So I'm going to work hard with her, i don't think they need much experience they just need to understand?

No negative posts thanks

Default Re: Trainee CBT therapist?

To be honest, I don't think that many 'full blown' therapists have much experience with emet, so experience shouldn't be a facror. In fact it could even be a plus because a trainee is more likely to listen to you and not think that she always knows best.

vv - trainees can be great. And since she probably won't know what emetophobia is, as a trainee she'll be more open to ideas about it - so that's a plus. And if she wants to, she can contact me and I'll be glad to talk to her. She can Skype call me for free if we set it up by email. My contact info is on my website.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sage thanks for replying. I'm actually trying to stay of this website as much as I can as both my therapists say it's encouraging my anxiety which I know is true but it makes me feel better in the short term but I know in the long term it is feeding my anxieties. But i'm going to sort of gradually come of this rather than just stop altogether. Also I like talking about it with you etc.

Basically, the doctor has referred me to a trainee CBT therapist near where I live. I met her yesterday and she is lovely. I explained that emetophobia is just a symptom of my anxiety etc and she seems to think I know my own mind pretty well which I believe I do. I told her I was going to print of the FAQ's from this website and she said she'd be happy to read them so i'll give them to her next week. I may ask if she would like to speak to you? I'm not sure. She has offered me maybe up to 16 sessions but says that the NHS can't really offer more which is a bit annoying because I wanted to carry on until I chose to stop rather than just being cut off... but maybe when it comes to it I can persuade her to carry on with treatment? What do you think?

I actually have two therapists at the moment. I see Alice my CBT every wednesday and I see Pauline my hypnotherapist every Friday. Alice said she was a bit worried that the therapies would "clash". But I've given PAuline alice's number and they're going to chat it over and probably keep in contact so that we can all work together. Is this a good idea? I'm paying for the hypnotherapy obviously but the CBT is on the NHS.

Do you think i've done the right thing?
    I really want to get better.
    I know i'm going to still have bad days... but i'm hoping i will gradually get more and more GOOD days

Also Sage. I'm not sure what im scared of doing. Because i force myself to eat out even though i dont want to... and isn't CBT just making a hierachy of all the things you are scared of? im not too scared of others being sick, just myself but when others are sick i do sometimes shake and run but i have kind of got used to it because being a teenager you see a lot of drunk sickness! Will CBT still work for me? I can write the word and see pictures... but maybe i do feel anxious when i watch them? I thought i didn't but maybe i do i just try not to be. please help

I've just got my first appointment through for CBT on the NHS and mine is with a Psychologist in training too. The waiting lists are so long here that I think you could either have a trainee or be waiting years! Trainees have to report back to a supervisor (who would be a Psychologist with many years experience) and also they're probably in their last year of training. I'm REALLY excited about my appointment!

Elski - I was really excited too... but then I read posts on here that CBT has made them loads worse because it's so hard to complete! But I guess I will just have to ignore them and work hard and not think the worst! I'm also having hypnotherapy as well and she is LOVELY

How come you've suddenly decided to get therapy now? Want to get properly better?

The reason I have is because I got mentally ill again a month ago (panic attacks 24/7) and i'm only 17. I want to have a life. I want to be able to have kids and relax. I want to be able to move out. So I am determined not to just mask the symptoms this time and get better. I don't want to be on drugs for the rest of my life.

Thanks for postingg
    reply please

vv - this is the reason your therapists don't want you to come here. You really should go cold-turkey off here. I can tell by your posts and pm's that it is only making your anxiety worse. Trust your therapists, work hard for the 16 weeks and you should get a lot of relief from your anxiety.

If it will help, I can ban you from the site for 16 weeks! Let me know!

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    vv - this is the reason your therapists don't want you to come here. You really should go cold-turkey off here. I can tell by your posts and pm's that it is only making your anxiety worse. Trust your therapists, work hard for the 16 weeks and you should get a lot of relief from your anxiety.

If it will help, I can ban you from the site for 16 weeks! Let me know!
    I've made several friends here who are also FB friends. I never talk emet on Facebook. It's a good way to maintain friendships without furthering anxiety.

I had the honor to meet in real life, two folks I met here. This was totally wonderful, we had lots of other stuff in common. It was so much fun to see just how totally normal we actually are compared to some of the posts on here!

Sincerely,
    David

Hey David that's really cool. I was thinking about suggesting another discussion forum based on one of VV's hobbies or something but Facebook is a great idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by verityvee View Post
    Elski - I was really excited too... but then I read posts on here that CBT has made them loads worse because it's so hard to complete! But I guess I will just have to ignore them and work hard and not think the worst! I'm also having hypnotherapy as well and she is LOVELY

How come you've suddenly decided to get therapy now? Want to get properly better?

The reason I have is because I got mentally ill again a month ago (panic attacks 24/7) and i'm only 17. I want to have a life. I want to be able to have kids and relax. I want to be able to move out. So I am determined not to just mask the symptoms this time and get better. I don't want to be on drugs for the rest of my life.

Thanks for postingg
    reply please
    I think some people find it difficult undertaking the 'exposure therapy' part of CBT, maybe because they're not quite ready to tackle their phobia. It sounds like you really want to get better though and there's no reason why you should be one of the people who CBT doesn't work for

Why have I decided to get therapy now? Well, yeah, I'm just so OVER this phobia controlling my life. I had a baby 11 months ago and my phobia has gone through the roof since and I've had enough of it! I'm 100% ready to face it full-on and do whatever it takes to get better.

I reckon the fact that you're young definitely goes in your favour as hopefully you'll be able to retrain your brain and all the bad thoughts won't be too ingrained yet. Good luck!!

Thanks

good luck to you too!
    Are you going to leave the site in order to get better?
    My therapist wants me too... she says this is just encouraring all my anxiety.

Let me know how you get one

I don't know, I'll see what the therapist says.... sometimes I can see that this site fuels my anxiety but other times it's a great comfort so it's hard. I'd say if I do leave the site, it'll be temporary as if CBT does help me, I want to share what I learn as it might benefit others here