Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down canoeine/kayaking

my dad really wants me to go kayaking with him tomorrow, and i kinda want to go. but worried im gonna get seasick. i know its just a canoe but there are still little waves and the same motion. my dad says its unlikely. but to me that still sounds like theres a chance it could happen. i dont know if i should go or not.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Default Re: canoeine/kayaking

Don't think you can get seasick in a kayak because you have some control over the motion with your paddle. Travel sickness of any sort tends to happen when you are not in control (whens the last time you saw a car driver get carsick?).

If you're still worried, get some sea bands. I know lots of people that swear by them, and there's no side effects.

i got some seabands and ginger tablets. we're going with a group and we're stopping to eat lunch as well. i dont know how im gonna eat. im getting very concerned. i know its unlikely to get sick from being in a kayak but i know someone who is bad and she feels sick when she goes paddling. even if i feel a little sick i know it will escalate. i hope its not going to be rough and the water will be calm
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Hope you had a good trip kayaking!

There is no way you will get seasick because you are in the open, seeing the water, and in control of the motion of the kayak.

It takes some strenuous activity to manouever the boat and the exertion and mental concentration will keep your brain focused and you will NOT get seasick. No way, no how, no where!!!

Have fun!
    David

thanks, i didnt get sick. the water was so calm. my arms got very tired, but no motion sickness. i know its pretty rare but water related activities make me anxious. im glad i went though.

Quote Originally Posted by emmalinda View Post
    thanks, i didnt get sick. the water was so calm. my arms got very tired, but no motion sickness. i know its pretty rare but water related activities make me anxious. im glad i went though.
    YES! I knew you'd enjoy it!

Rowing is great exercise. It takes alot of power to displace water and move the boat. Major calorie usage, while the scenery always puts my mind at ease!

Here is an article with pictures on the Coosa river, which is near where I live and where I've gone kayaking with friends!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coosa_River

Thanks,
    David

wow the water looks so clear. we recently had rain so the water we went on was a bit dirty. but very beautiful. i cant find it on google but it was on cattie lake at a place called harrington. a very small town. but i will def go again !!

Quote Originally Posted by emmalinda View Post
    wow the water looks so clear. we recently had rain so the water we went on was a bit dirty. but very beautiful. i cant find it on google but it was on cattie lake at a place called harrington. a very small town. but i will def go again !!
    Thanks! Alabama has some very beautiful places. We're at the beginning of the Appalacian mountain range. The hills are not so steep that it's non-usable territory; but it is rugged enough to give some really nice rivers and scenery.

The water was so clear that day we went there; you could see the rocky bottom and see fish swimming and seaweed on some of the rocks!

Take care!
    David