Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default 6 weeks pregnant - very anxious!!

Hi all,

I have this phobia, and have been dealing with it for 20 years. I'm 31 and pregnant. I am so scared to eat because I'm experiencing crazy anxiety about N* and V* along with withdrawal from anti-anxiety medication (I stopped taking them because I don't want to harm my baby, of course).

I want some feedback on how to deal with the stress and anxiety. Last night I was so N* and I want some solutions as 9 months of V* sounds like sheer and malicious hell to me.

Any words or experiences are very much appreciated.

Default Re: 6 weeks pregnant - very anxious!!

This time 2 years ago I was 31 and about 6 weeks pregnant too. A July baby??
    I found it very hard- the anxiety of being nauseated. The first week was the worst and then when I realized that the nausea was just, well nausea I felt so much better. You feel crappy but hardly any emets if any vomit from morning sickness.
    Your first ultrasound will help- once you see your baby you will love it and feel a bit stronger. Then when you hold your baby and then get to know them you'll want to go through it all again some day, morning sickness and all!
    I found rice crispees, sea bands, lemon slices in water, citrus in general and munching constantly on fruit and starchy foods all day really helped with both the nausea and the anxiety. The citrus cleans your liver, which helps you handle the hormones more.
    ALSO STAY AWAY FROM GOOGLE! You will find so many horror stories about morning sickness that aren't the norm, especially from emets.
    Also stay away from foods that are bad for the liver- like bacon and other cured meats.
    I wish I had known what I do now.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

Congratulations!

Pregnancy nausea usually only lasts until around 14wks, only an unlucky few experience it all the way through. Have you spoken to your doctor about anti-anxiety meds as there are some which are compatible with pregnancy. You could also speak to him about anti-nausea medication as again, there are things you can take for severe nausea which are compatible with pregnancy - we prescribe it all the time to the antenatal women on our wards. Also, not sure where you are, but if you're in Canada they have a drug there called Diclectin for pregnancy-nausea which is very effective - I was lucky enough to be living in Canada when I fell pregnant (I'm from the UK) and this drug was a god-send

I had 24/7 nausea when I was pregnant and it wasn't very nice but I got through it and if you experience it, you'll get through it too! It's usually worse when you've got an empty stomach, keeping crackers by the bed and nibbling them before you get up in the morning so you're not getting up on an empty tummy can help. Ginger-infused warm water can also help!

Congrats!!

And I know many women, who aren't emets, who never vomited from morning sickness.

I'm only 20 and never been pregnant, so I can't give to much advice. I just wanted to say congrats and that you will get through it
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Hey congratulations! I went through 2 pregnancies without vomiting, and the second one I was nauseous as hell, but still didn't get sick.

Whatever you do don't NOT EAT (so in other words...EAT!) An empty stomach is terrible for morning sickness. In fact, people recommend you keep crackers by the bed and eat a few before you even get up. I used to carry graham wafers around with me all the time.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi lovely ladies. Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement. I've gone out and bought mints, crackers, peppermint tea, and will be hoping and wishing that my worst fear doesn't creep up on me. It hasn't since I was 14, but maybe I am jinxing myself. Anyway, I am so very appreciative of the support and words.
    xo

Hi Tinyangel, love your name. I just want to second what Sage says. Don't ever let yourself get too hungry....not good during pregnancy. Eat whatever you feel like or are craving. And don't be afraid to ask for an anti-emetic if you feel you can't cope. Keep us posted.