Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Can't cope anymore with emetophobia at university!

Ive been at uni for two months now and I was always scared before that I would struggle having this phobia while I was here. But when I first came I still threw myself into everything. Met loads of people, went out a lot and tried to have fun but it was still in my mind.

After a few weeks, as I expected, lots of students started getting really drunk and being sick and you couldn't go out the door without seeing it. But I still tried being strong and just looking past it, trying to forget it and carry on.

The more lectures I had the more I got more worked up about being in them and started to panic and feel trapped whenever i went. And with this I then got nervous in the morning whenever I had to go in to go to a lecture because I new I would panic about being sick even though I really knew I felt fine.

More recently I started getting really bad panic attacks so I went home to escape, but then I started having them at home too because I was scared to go back and would just wake up in a panic.

I still felt that I could escape though because my flat mates would go out and drink but none would be sick. And even though they didn't understand my phobia and would still joke about being sick and stuff in front of me I could deal with it. But then my boyfriend drunk too much and mixed drinks. He knows how I get with my phobia and I told him i was scared and thought he would be sick and he said he was sure he would be fine. He was in my room and suddenly run out and was sick in his room, right next to mine and I could hear it and couldn't escape. Now I can't cope anymore as no one here understands and really doesn't get how bad it messes me up. I have seen a doctor but she couldn't help me.

Right now i really can't cope being here. I can't live with my flat mates or my boyfriend or be around anyone. I just want to go home and quit uni but really, the real me that thinks logically would like to succeed and get the career I have always dreamt of. What should I do?

Default Re: Can't cope anymore with emetophobia at university!

Hi struggling06,

You really need to get some help for your anxiety. Sounds like you're in the UK and they do have some good treatment programs there. Others on this board have gotten (your health care system) to pay for treatment from a psychologist-in-training as well. If your doctor couldn't help you, s/he's not very good. Any doctor should be able to refer you to get help.

If you can afford private therapy, go for that. If you can't find anyone near you, drop me a PM or an email.

Your career goals are SO important! Don't let this phobia rob you of your power to go toward what you really value!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God, that sounds like an awful situation. I'm so sorry to hear about it. I'm long out of school and the schools I went to didn't have much a party culture to them so I didn't have to worry about it much. I did worry about it all the time in high school. Esp when noro was going around. When it was spreading like wildfire, I'd be terrified everyday just getting out of bed and having to go to school.

I'm so sorry! You are so brave to even try on-campus uni!

You really should try to find help. One doctor does not speak for all. There is help.

If you are really having a hard time though, perhaps you could do uni from home for a term while you work on your phobia?

I'm there right now! And I admire you for living on campus, and sticking it out for so long.

I know this is a long shot, but if you're in the UK, have you thought of Academic Transfer? Move to a university closer to home, and live at home.

I hope you begin to feel better in yourself given the situation!
    Stacey

I am in the EXACT same boat! I started uni at the beginning of the year and started off perfectly fine. Well, it was always at the back of my mind but I got on with it and focused on meeting new people and having fun. Then after the beginning of my second semester, it came back with no warning. I have panic attacks at the thought of having to sit in a lecture for 2 hours in case I get sick and have recently started having them at home where I used to be perfectly fine.

I really hope you find a way through this. I have to disagree with transferring schools though. It's only a short term fix and will ultimately mean the emet has won. You were doing fine at the beginning of the year and you will get there again! Go and talk to your doctor and see what options there are.

Good luck!

I can relate to this. I actually dropped out of uni. My first year was amazing, I was doing so well but then at the beginning of my second year it came back and for two months I tried to deal with but I was getting pretty housebound, missing lectures and and classes. In the end I quit.

My family was understanding, I moved back home with my mum and got a job which I love. For me it was the right decision, not only because of my anxiety but because I'd decided that I didn't like my course.

If being at uni will help to reach your perfect career then stick with it! Good luck! x

My friend suffers anxiety and I know he visited someone on campus to help. Im sure there should be someone on campus to help with health problems. Try visiting them for advice as Im sure they have probaby dealt with many students suffering panics in lectures etc for various reasons.
    Dont suffer in silence. I recently came clean with my employer and they have helped me loads.

Hun DON'T give up. You can make it. I did...and it was very very difficult, but I did it and just managed to scrape by. You would regret leaving due to your phobia so much. It isn't fair for a phobia to get in the way of your life goals. Stick around the forums for support when you have bad days. You aren't alone. It can be done

Admission to university comes with stress, but thankfully, sop service ease the educational journey. Their assistance alleviates challenges, making you stand out from other applicants and increasing your chances of being accepted.
    Last edited by Robbie A Carlson; 12-21-2023 at 11:49 AM.