Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fast acting anti-anxiety meds?

I know that most meds prescribed for anxiety need to be taken continuously for a few weeks before they have any effect. But generally my anxiety is not bad enough to warrant raking meds. But after an incident, I can have flashbacks, trouble sleeping and obsessive thoughts for a few weeks. Does anyone know of anything (prescription, OTC or herbal) that I could just take short term after something's happened?

Default Re: Fast acting anti-anxiety meds?

Sublingual Ativan works almost instantly - you need a prescription and it does make you drowsy though.

Thanks for the suggestion, if I can't find anything OTC I guess I will have to go to the docs.

I use Ativan, & yes it makes you drowsy & it's also very addicting so you have to use it wisely. If you feel yourself becoming dependent on it & taking it one after another then you need to stop, it's one of the most addicting anti-anxiety meds I think.
    It works really well though; within minutes I'm feeling better, I'm calm & feeling better. But when it wears off, it wears off & you can feel it which sucks.

Good luck

Your GP might prescribe you a short course of Lorazepam or diazepam 1mg. 1mg is enough to take the edge of my anxiety and some GPs wont mind as long as you dont depend on it. I tend to save it for emergancies.