Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Anxiety

Unhappy Anxiety

I keep researching anxiety on the internet and I tend to believe everything I read.

This guy is basically saying there is no cure for anxiety.
    This made me really depressed, is he wrong?

http://www.anxietyguru.net/are-anxie...rders-curable/

The link is above ^^

Positive posts?

Default Re: Anxiety

I'm reading it now, but want to make this comment first.

I have always been and probably always will be anxiety prone. It is just a part of my personality. Is it a disorder? No I don't think so. It WAS when I was emetophobic and it affected all my decisions.

Now, it's just part of my personality. I love life, enjoy most every minute of it, and live it to the fullest.

Some times, I get a little nerved up; but that's just my nature. I focus that into energy, force, and power. When I feel a little anxious, it just lets me know I'm about to be ready to take on anything that is thrown my way!

Sincerely,
    David

The guy is quite right. Curing implies completely getting rid of the anxiety. That isn't possible, nor would it be desirable. Anxiety is there to help keep us safe. What he says is that you should be aiming to reach a point where the anxiety doesn't affect your life. I.e. To be 'normal'.

Think of it this way: diabetes is not curable. However, getting diabetes doesn't mean the end of your life. Many people manage it so well that you wouldn't even know they had it! But it takes work on their part, you can't just wave a wand or take a pill and have it disappear.

I can agree with that article, it basically states what I said above.

But turbokinetic you say you live your life to the full etc but if you were totally free of this emet anxiety you wouldn't still be on here? I've read some of your recent posts and they're still anxious ones! the out of date sauce and that...

Quote Originally Posted by verityvee View Post
    But turbokinetic you say you live your life to the full etc but if you were totally free of this emet anxiety you wouldn't still be on here? I've read some of your recent posts and they're still anxious ones! the out of date sauce and that...
    Verity; one of my guiding principles in life is a love to make others feel good, and help them past problems. Even if I was TOTALLY 100% non-emet I would STILL come here just to offer a few kind words here and there.

I think it's hard to quantify what is an "anxious" post and what is not. This written forum lacks all the small nuances of body language and intonation we have when we speak. I think that when someone is in an anxious mood they will see anxiety in whatever they read. One of my problems (here and at work, too) is my sense of humor. There may have been times I tried to make a funny post, and it looked funny to me but it seemed deadly serious to someone reading it.

As far as the sauce? (or was that slad dressing?). I guess this is the time I found some "several years" outdated stuff at my mom and dad's place? At my worst time, had I eaten that dressing, I would have based all my decisions the rest of the day on making sure I was in a place that I could escape. It would have stayed on my mind ALL DAY and then some. That would have been seriously anxious.

Now, If the same thing happened, I would HOPE I don't get sick (because nobody wants to get sick, emet or not!) but would not base all my decisions the rest of the day on it. There is a certain amount of self-preservation instinct that we all have; regarding spoiled food.

Hope that answers your question. The first part is to me the most important part. I remember how bad it WAS for me and that motivates me to help others get past it because I like to see other people feel good and be happy.

But rest assured, I do live life to the fullest, and love it!

Sincerely,
    David

Anxiety is an emotion.... emotions aren't diseases... therefore no cure. What needs to be changed is our reaction to the emotion.

This is a really to interesting thread and I have so many things to say about it! First of all, vv, don't believe everything you read. Especially on the internet. Especially on a blog. Especially when the "guru" is selling something. He had me at "you may have went" in the first line. Just a dude writing whatever nonsense will sell his book.

However I did read the whole thing eventually and I see where he's going with it. We will always feel anxiety because we're meant to otherwise we would throw ourselves over cliffs and into the jaws of grizzly bears.

I also want to say that anyone who is still suffering with an anxiety disorder should not be Googling stuff about it. You already have all the info that you need, and surfing around will only make your anxiety disorder worse. Constantly checking things and seeking reassurance over and over is part of the problem and is definitely not a solution.

Finally, I want to say how much I appreciate David and all the other recovered emets over the years who come here to help calm people down, share their experiences, and basically make this forum a better place for everyone. I lurk around some other emetophobia forums from time to time and they do not have the same "tone" as this one does - which is a tone of discouraging avoidance and encouraging the seeking of help. Other forums can be a bunch of people pooling their anxiety and avoidance behaviors to come up with the "best" way to avoid what they fear. Users have been banned from this forum over the years for things like inciting panic and continually threatening suicide. We pride ourselves in a fairly calm, wisdom-seeking forum.

Ya - so - that's everything this thread led me to say!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sage - Thanks for your comment. I understand what you mean but I find it hard not to keep seeking reassurance for my anxiety disorder... especially when i'm near a panic attack. How can I stop surfing and seeking reassurance? It makes me feel worse! Will my CBT help with that? Or hypnotherapy? I don't really know how to use my time. I don't do anything. I can't go to college and i just dont know what to do with myself.

Get some great books to read or take up needlepoint or Sudoku or something. Honestly. DON'T spend your time surfing the internet or coming here looking for reassurance all the time. Just tell yourself to STOP...and then go back to your book, or your needlepoint or your puzzle.

And yes, your CBT will help.

The other thing you can do is set "parental controls" for your computer (I think) where you ban all the websites that have to do with anxiety and emetophobia. Create an impossible password, write it on a paper and put it in a ziplock back. Then freeze it inside a block of ice. It will take way too much time and effort to thaw it out. But when your anxiety is manageable and your treatment is over, you can thaw it and get the password again. Honestly, that is what I would do.

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

But surely when my treatment is over i will be better and wont want to come on here incase i regress? i would want to live my life more!
    Sage, don't you think?

My answer has to be 10 characters. But all I really wanted it to say was:

YES

I always tell people to 'google responsibly'. Use it for good- if you want a recipe for something and are too lazy to look through a cookbook or want to find out how to fix something or want to see how bald and ugly your ex boyfriend is getting then great, but don't use it to google things like noro and morning sickness and food poisoning. Believe me I've been there and it NEVER helps!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine