Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Lexpro almost killed me last night..im freaking out!!!

My Dr gave me a script for Lexapro amd Xanax for my anxiety. I have not taken a xanax, but last night was the third night i took the lexapro, and i felt fine, and went to bed, and woke up at 2am gasping for air, and choking on v**, i ran to the bathroom, and nothing happened..so i sat on the couch for 4 hours scared to death, and i took a heartburn pill and a zofran and half a promethazine after it happened. I dont know what to do, i way to scared to take another pill since thats my greatest fear, but at the same time, i think they would have helped me...so confused now.

Default Re: Lexpro almost killed me last night..im freaking out!!!

Maybe you just caught a very very small, 1 v* sv. Don't worry, I'm sure you will be fine, if you think the Lexpro will help you, take it. Go with your instincts! (:
    ~Lacey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I thought that maybe, but i didnt get sick after that. And i was hungry this morning.

I don't think it's the lexapro but I'd still report it to your doctor. I was on lexapro for a year from 5mg to 30mg and didn't have bad side effects so don't worry

This absolutely is not a stomach virus - it's simply a bad case of heart burn! I have had it happen to me a couple of times. It really is nothing to worry about - it's not pleasant of course, but it wont make you sick. It's just a little acid that has worked its way into your throat, did you eat before going to bed?

Calm down, love. It sounds like nasty heartburn, I have had those scares myself 0_0 I would talk to your DR as soon as you can and ask what he think's about your episode.

Yes, it does sound like some nasty acid reflux. Sorry you had such a scare! Try sleeping propped up on your pillow, it should help.

oh the bad old acid reflux! thats what it sounds like to me as well. That must have been scary indeed!

This happens to my hubby from time to time. It's just reflux. Maybe take an antacid before bed?
    JANNA

Don't fret, that was definitely acid reflux, and often a symptom of anxiety.

Please don't give up on the Lexapro. I can't say that it works for everyone - I'm no doctor and I know medications have differing levels of success for different people. But Lexapro has saved my life with emet and really helps to manage my anxiety on a daily basis. It very well might do the same for you. I know what happened is scary, but trust me, as a user of Lexapro for over 5 years, that sort of thing was NOT caused by the lexapro. It's a pretty mild drug.
    Emmenez-moi au bout de la terre
    Emmenez-moi au pays des merveilles
    Il me semble que la misère
    Serait moins pénible au soleil...

Im better now, you guys were right, it was acid reflux, but it was caused my lexapro, the Dr said a few percentage of people do get the Acid reflux from the meds, she told me to just take a xanax if i have a panic attack, i don't think i can do the everyday meds, i have such a sensitive stomach to meds...dern!

If you keep taking them, the side effects almost always go away. So if you can treat your acid reflux, or nausea for 2-3 weeks then you should be fine.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.