Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Lonely, but not alone.

Hey everyone.

I'm new here, as you all can see, and I've been surfing the forum for a bit. I have tears streaming down my face because it's such a relief to find a group of people who get it. This fear is so overwhelming and always present and not many people understand it. They might think they do and share gems like "nobody likes to throw up" and "it's better out than in!" thinking it will help. I feel very lonely in my phobia, but here I know that at least I am not alone. Thank you.

My fear really started getting out of hand when I was about 13 years old. Before that I had always been wary - for example my mother told me always to wear a sweater in air conditioned areas because if you didn't and it was hot outside the temperature difference would make me sick. She said vomitting because I guess she knew I was sensitive to that, but I think that the only consequence that could come out of that was a cold. Or maybe she didn't say vomitting at all, but I only assumed it was as it was the most horrible consequence I could think of. But it really started taking off one night when my mother came into my messy room to say goodnight, and ended the nightly ritual by saying "If you get sick on all the stuff on your floor, I am not cleaning it for you." ..... I stayed up a long time that night and each night after that thinking my mother things I am getting sick and because I adored my mother I thought everything that came out of her mouth was the truth. I was horrified at the idea that my mum thought that if I got sick it would cover the entire floor. I suffered from insomnia for 3 years, only sleeping maybe 3 hours a day because I was so afraid to wake up and have to be sick. Sometimes still I stay up very, very late because I want to make sure I am not sick. Tonight is one of those nights. I do not blame my mother for this. It is not her fault that I let silly comments spin out of control in my head. This is entirely mine. Perhaps it can be compared to someone saying "you shouldn't drink that much soda" to someone, and that person later developing anorexia. The fear, of being fat or vomitting, was already there. It most probably would have spun out of control anyway. My little twinge of fear turned into emetophobia because I let it happen.

I am now 23. And this phobia has taken over me and my life and made it all hell. I just started CBT and I am simultaneously absolutely terrified, determined and doubtful. How can anything cure me from this awful, awful phobia? I just don't see how I can live without being afraid.

For about 9 years I went without throwing up. But then my dad died and in my grief I started paying less attention to expiration dates and I was feeling a bit reckless... and I ate some bad food. Of course it gave me food poisoning. In a way I felt like it was almost like a gift from my dad to push me into confronting my fear. Indeed, only a few months after that I was struck with food poisoning again - this time two days before my husbands's best friend's wedding. We had traveled in from another state and I had never met these people before and I spent the afternoon and evening in their bathroom. I felt TERRIBLE for the bride-to-be. I imagined myself in the same situation and the hairs stood up on my neck. I would have DIED from fear if something like that happened. The next day I was fine even though we had to take a 3 hour car journey to the location of the wedding. Then that night my husband drank too much and threw up several times in the bathroom. I cried myself to sleep and I was very angry with him for doing it. The next test came the day after at the wedding itself. They catering people had apparently served some pretty raw chicken. I soldiered through it, not showing my panic because I didn't want to ruin the party. The next time I was struck with food poisoning was on the eve of my brother's birthday. My sister had come in from three hours away to celebrate. It was like another challenge. I've always been so afraid right before special days like birthdays or christmas that I or someone else in my family would get sick and miss the day. It didn't ruin the day. I was still able to participate in the celebrations. It wasn't the end of the world. My husband has been struck with different stomach viruses during the time we've been living together - but I have been spared. But the absolute horror of hearing him retch in the bathroom and then crying because his stomach hurt so bad.... it makes my heart race just typing it.

My biggest fear is getting the noro virus. In the winter I do not go out unless I absolutely have to. I do not like people coming into my home because I do not know if they have been exposed to the virus. I overcook my food. I spray lysol everywhere. I use hand sanitizer to an alarming degree. I hate cleaning the bathroom because I fear I will accidentely ingest something that will make me sick. I've lost all my 'irl' friends because they got sick of me always declining invitations to parties (1, someone might be carrying a virus 2, someone might get sick from drinking too much) or something simple as going to a cafe and hanging out. Every meal has me on edge for hours after while I constantly check myself for signs of food poisoning. A twinge in my stomach makes me spin out of control in panic attacks. I'm afraid to poop because I am afraid it will be runny and that might mean I'm sick. I'm afraid when my husband goes to the bathroom because I don't know what he's doing in there.

I am constantly on edge, I am constantly afraid, I am constantly readying myself. This is my truth. I've hid it for so many years, not wanting to jinx myself but I don't want to hide anymore. This is part of who I am, for now. In any case, if all goes well with my CBT, it will be part of who I was for a very long time.

I feel a bit better now, having shared in complete honesty without holding back because I'm afraid people will think I am just a bit too weird.

Default Re: Lonely, but not alone.

Hiya and welcome.

I know exactly what you mean I can be feeling fine and suddenly I'll have irrrational thoughts and get myself all worked up over nothing. This leads me to feeling sick and that in turn feeds my anxiety and so on.... If I know of somebody who has actually been sick I need to know all the details so I can try and work out if its anything contagious. I hate being around crowds of people just in case I pick up some bug. Im 44 and have had ups and downs with emet. During my late teens it was really bad then suddenly in my early 20's I seemed to improve and I led a very normal life. Had a brilliant social life, worked in a bar so I was surrounded by drunks on a regular basis and had my daughter. I worked several part time jobs and loved my life. It really wasnt a problem just on the rare occasions that me or my daughter felt sick it would send me into a bit of a panic. Unfortunately over the past couple of years it seems to have come back with a vengence and I feel nausous on an almost daily basis and worry about stomach bugs etc 24/7. Hope to get my life back soon and Im sure it will happen. Dont be afraid to ask for help.

Well done on getting CBT etc - that shows how strong you are. I wish I could be that determined but Im afraid Im too much of a coward at the moment. Tried hypnosis years ago but that totally freaked me out - never again!!
    Last edited by claire43; 11-18-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Yes! The anxiety makes me nauseous too! And on the spiral goes until I am exhausted. I really hope the CBT helps because I have been having thoughts about suicide being a way out of this constant fear and a fool-proof way of never having to be sick again. Such illogical thoughts.

Theres been times when Ive thought I cant go on, thats its just too hard. But I havent seriously thought about suicide, I couldnt do that to my family. Im just about to start working again for the first time in years and its freaking me out a bit. What happens when I feel sick? I cant just come home or take days off! Ive got one week to try and get a grip but thats easier said than done.

My fear of the public not-in-my-own-castle illness has been dulled a little by my experience at my husband's best friend's wedding. Everyone was extremely sympathetic and weren't angry with me for being sick. Everyone took care of me, and nobody looked down on me for being sick. For some reason that is what I've been afraid of in terms of getting sick outside my home. What are you afraid of in that situation, particularly?

I've been working on this phobia by myself seriously for maybe a year now, and in situations that I know I will be afraid and be very anxious I try to think of myself as a warrior going to war. I say aloud before I leave home "I will not let this fear conquer me. I will be stronger than this fear. I may be afraid today, but I will not stop being brave." I sometimes picture the fear as some sort of creature, it makes it easier to take back control from a living image rather than a faceless fear.

Before tonight I didn't even know there was a name for what I am going through! Of course I found it when looking on google for "stomach flu incubation". My babysitter said she was sick this weekend, so of course all week I was just waiting to be sick. It's been 5 days and nothing, so I HAD to look it up, hoping that maybe I'll be out of the water for getting sick.

I'm honestly so relieved to see I'm not alone anymore. ALL of my friends basically roll their eyes when I say I feel sick, I know they think "when doesn't she think she's going to vomit?" I can't help it though, I just always feel nauseous. I have anxiety which I think leads to my nausea which of course leads to more anxiety then more nausea and so forth. I hate even going anywhere because every time I do I feel sick and then I always plan an "escape". I think... "ok, where's the bathroom, hummm where can I run to... ok I'll just keep plastic bags in my purse in case I need them". My husband has no sympathy for me anymore. He's upset because the doctors keep telling me nothing's wrong, but I know there is or else I wouldn't be nauseous all the time. It's like this never ending cycle that keeps me from truly enjoying life. I'm always scared. I'm okay with my kids being sick now, but all I can think about is if I'm going to get it too. Before I had kids I didn't want any only because I know kids puke, and if someone pukes, then I KNOW I'll catch the virus too and be sick.
    I always wonder how my husband can just get up, go to the toilet and be sick but not complain. When I'm sick, A. I can't go in the bathroom because the toilets grosses me out, so I use bags then I lay there and wonder when it will happen again. I can't sleep because I'm too scared. I usually go to the ER for meds. I was on Zofran but they won't give it to me because they knew I took it all the time and "nothing" is wrong for me to be taking it like that.
    I did find that 2 years ago on Paxil I wasn't nauseous for the first time in a long time buuuut then I got pregnant and had to stop it. I have a new script in my cabinet but of course with an SSRI when you first start nausea is a side effect... So I won't take meds to help me eventually not be nauseous so that I don't get it from the meds themselves?! Who does that?! MEEE and thankfully I'm not the only one anymore. I too, like some of you have said, have honestly thought that if I died I would finally be rid of this obsession, because to me that's what it is, an obsession. I can't live a normal life and enjoy it like others.

Oh, and like previously mentioned in an earlier post, heck with those "sympathetic" people who say "everyone hates to puke"... YOU HAVE NO IDEA!! lol I don't just HATE to puke, I'm petrified!

Thank you to everyone on here, you guys make me feel like I'm not alone in this anymore and it feels so much better to actually have a word for what's going on. Everyone calls me a hypochondriac.... I'm NOT!!! I'm emetophobic!!

Oh man, tell me about it. I had a hard time this summer and fall and had to get on antidepressants again. I used to be on Zoloft, and it was amazing for me. But when I went to the doctor this time to ask for help, I told him not to give me Zoloft because I remembered how sick I felt the first few days on it. I just couldn't face it again.

I know it's completely illogical yet it feels completely logical for me to not take an antidepressant that I know works and gamble my mental health just to avoid feeling sick for a few days.

Good lord.

I see what you ment about people thinking there sympathetic when the are totally p****** me off inside.
    Stay strong, Lacey xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Having a bad night. Went to see the new Harry Potter movie and I challenged myself to use the bathroom at the cinema and now I feel like I'm doomed. I hate this. The anxiety stays at around 3-4/10 and then it peaks at about 8 and I have to work really hard from stopping it going even higher. And I have to finish an essay tonight to send in tomorrow and I am just sitting here freaking out. I just want to cry.

Tanya- you said that there must be something wrong or you wouldn't feel nauseous all the time. But from what you've posted, you know it is anxiety not anything stomach related. So ask your doc if he will prescribe an antiemetic to get you through the paxil side effects. Then take the med and try to get some treatment for your anxiety.

This has been one of the most helpful threads for me on this forum because I've found that I relate to so much of what everyone has shared.

I am always on edge, constantly worrying, running in mental circles, planning escapes and practically drowning in my anxiety - its become exhausting. Getting myself to work every single day is horrible and I'm almost regretting working as hard as I have to advance in my company because of the added responsibility, hours, and overall commitment. If someone isn't able to be there because they're sick, I have to be there - in general, I HAVE to be there, so I run myself into the ground worrying and panicking over the idea of what if I get the stomach flu, what if I get food poisoning, what if it doesn't hit me until I'm already AT work, what if what if what if..

I sometimes keep plastic bags with me too when going out to certain places, just in case. It's embarrassing and I'll try to force myself to leave them at home, as a test. I've been doing this a lot more lately...leaving my "safety packs" at home (a ziplock bag with some pepto pills, some compazine a friend gave me, etc)...and I think it's helping in a way. Each time I leave them, the night is hard and I may not enjoy myself as much, but when I get home and realize that I made it through the night I'm so relieved.

The best way to describe my attitude about this fear now is simply that I'm OVER it. I'm so done and ready to move past it, so I continue to challenge myself and say in my head "WHO.CARES." each time I think I feel nauseas or think I might have something. I have to remind myself to deal with it when it happens and to not worry about what the next day, hour, or even next ten minutes will be like. To just focus on each minute and live in the moment is what's getting my through it all. And I think that's okay for right now.

You all have been wonderful and so brave for sharing, and I'm thankful for each and everyone of you being here.