Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Episodes

Does anyone here have episodes...where they just flip out for a week or so and then are fine?

like emet episodes or another type of episode? Like panic attacks over vomiting or just freaking out about everything?

Yes, but it usually means my meds need adjusting, or like this past week, where I went off all my meds.

whats the difference between an emet episode and a panic attack??

I get both of these....

A panic attack is when your heart pounds, and your chest feels tight when you breathe. You tend to feel like you are having trouble breathing, you may even feel dizzy. There are many more symptoms of a panic attack, it all depends on your stress.

An emet attack for meoccurs when I see v****, hear it, or eventhink about it, and especially when someone I know has the stomach virus. I'll feel sick for days, but then after some time it goes away. Edited by: missbecca

I flip out for a week every month before my period. lol I know it's not really funny b/c my husband hates it. That's the only time I freak out. If you are having panick attacks, you would know it by all of the symptoms. How do you feel exactly?

I get this way also, crying spells, feeling of hopelessness, I really think the emet manifests itself in these ways because we feel so helpless over our phobia and there is such of feeling of terror within us because of it. i also went off my meds. but i am feeling better without them.

Sorry that I'm bumping this to the top again, but I have to respond to this. The only time my emet is unmanageable and out of control is during these weird, one or two week attacks. I get one every year, and have for the last two years. I am stressed out and bored the month leading up to the attack, and they usually have triggers rigtht before them, like someone getting sick, or, in the case of the one I jsut had in December, I thought I was going to be sick a couple days before the attack started (I had one of those weird liquid burps, and I thought I was V'ing, and I made myself nauseous and had a panic attack).

When the attacks happen, I continually get worse, until I get better. First I start feeling panicked and hopeless, and then I can't eat anymore. In the early stages, I get horrible OCD type symptoms- doing things for comfort and trying to make myself feel better (I don't have OCD at all, or symptoms, normally, only during those attacks) Then, when the not-eating catches up to me, I start feeling physically sick and weak and get way worse. Sometime during the attack, I get my period, and after the period is gone, I become stable. So, somehow these attacks are triggered by stress, boredom, and especially, PMS.