Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I completely forgot, up until a bit earlier that I have an orthodontist
    appointment tomorrow, and it's the one where I have to get molds
    done of my teeth. I've heard that they can make you gag and throw
    up, so I'm really really scared... I don't really gag easily (I can stick
    my tongue way back in my mouth and touch the little hangy-downy
    thing) But what exactly do they do when taking these molds? I'm
    really not sure. Do I bite into something? And also, how long do they
    usually keep whatever it is in your mouth?
    -Anna

I had impressions done and they aren't as bad as I thought they would be. I had them done three times when I had my braces. They mold is shaped sort of like a persons bite--horse shoe shaped kind of and they fill it with some goop. They only left mine in for about a minute--maybe less than that. And then they let me rinse my mouth out. I didnt gag or anything. You'll be fine.
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=red>aol/aim screename: kraziqtashes&lt;br&gt;
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

I remember having that done when I got braces. All they do is put some gooey stuff into this horseshoe shaped mold that will fit into your mouth, then you bit into it and leave it there for about a minute. I almost gagged, but I have a bad gag reflex. Sometimes the gooey stuff can ooze out of the tray and maybe touch your throat or something, but it is not that bad at all. Then they take it out and bake it or something so it turns hard and they have a mold of your teeth. It's definitly not something to be worried about. In the end you will have beautiful straight teeth. I had really cooked teeth when I was young, and kids used to make fun of me and I would come home crying. My mom would always say "just tell them that at least I can fix my teeth, but you can't fix your ugly face"! LOL, I think I only said that once to a boy. 7th grade boys are the worst.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hehe, I agree boys of that age are really the worst.

And yeah, my teeth are surprisingly not all that bad, even though
    many other people in my family have/had terrible teeth. I only have
    a little gap in the front, a bit of an overbite, sort of crookedish bottom
    teeth, and a canine tooth up much higher than it should be. Well...
    maybe I don't have such an easy-fix mouth. At least I wont have to
    have headgear and retainers first like my brother!
    -Anna

I had braces when I was in jr. high and I had those molds done--one time I did gag and I ripped the mold out of my mouth and made the orthodontist really mad!! The dental assistant said that the key is to breath through your nose, if you breath through your mouth, you will gag. And when they redid them, I breathed through my nose and was fine!!

Donna's right, breathing through your nose is the key. I had braces as a kid, maybe 15 or so... had the molds and thought they were the worst thing in the world. Fast forward about 15 years, my teeth had moved back and I got braces again. When I made the appointment to get my braces, I said I'd do it only if I didn't have to get molds. They said ok... they lied. I had to get the molds. I was sooooo scared, but like they tell you breathe through your nose, and it was so easy!!! Definately not the bad thing my high school mind made it out to be. A year later, I have beautiful straight teeth again and it was sooo worth it! Don't worry about it, you'll be fine, just remember your breathing.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

i had loads of these molds done because i had to have a number of different braces made. The mould for your bottom teeth is nothing at all and didnt bother me. The one on the top is worse and i really paniced the first time. It is really that bad, its just unpleasent. My dentist used to mix up flavoured mold so that it didnt taste of nasty rubber. The key is to just relax and breath really slowly through your nose. The mould sets really fast so it doesnt last long. Just trust your dentist, i was scared that mine would put it too far back in my mouth and make me gag, but i was wrong, your dentist knows whats hes doing and deals with nervous patients all the time. Just keep calm, if you panic you will make it feel worse

Just like everyone else said...breathe through your nose and you're going to go thru it like a champ!!!
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

Breathe through your nose and wiggle your toes is what my dentist used to say, it really does help!

Aaahhh, the 'horror stories' from going to the dentist or related appointments. They are not going to make you gag. Just breathe deep through your nose,and tell them you are nervous about gagging. I am sure that nothing will happen. You are stronger than you think!
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

Oh my gosh! I have not thought about them in a while! I had
    a mold taken after I got my braces off so they could make my
    retainer. I was a mess about it! I remember counting in my
    head and tapping my fingers on the seat. I did begin to gag, but
    got through it just fine. I was so happy when it was over, then
    about 2 hours later they called and said I had to go back and get
    another one the same day. The orthodontist had dropped my mold
    and broke it!!! I cried, but the second time was not bad at
    all. I was perfectly fine. If you will yourself not to gag,
    you will be ok. It's not as horrible as people say. Let us
    know how it goes. Good luck! Carrie

Oh I hate those! They made me gag, but that's because I gag by brushing the front of my teeth. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]Anyway, since you don't gag easily, I'm sure you will be fine! If you just breathe through your nose, and wiggle your toes, you'll be fine! One time I didn't gag, because my mom told me a funny story. Maybe you could bring in a walkman or a magazine? I'm getting more again soon for a retainer (soon no more braces, yay!) so I should take my own advice!

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Oh wow.. I had to get impressions about a month ago. The bottom ones aren't bad at all. The top is uncomfortable but try to continue breathing through your nose and think about something else (like wiggling your toes). It's not the best experience in the world but it only last a minute or two. And since you seem to not have an overly-sensitive gag reflex, I'm sure you'll do just fine.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

what people have said is excellent advice. i used to react really badly to them. then i "practiced" with a whole orange.. however sad it sounds.

u do literally have to do steady breathing thru ur nose and concentrate on something copmeltly different, lke wiggling ur toes, or reading a poster that might be on the wall.

good luck

Jen xxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm very scared now, just three hours until I will be in there. I'll try to remember to breath through my nose, but I'm afraid I'll forgetto.
    -Anna

You will do fine sweety. Grab that bull by it's horns and show it who's boss.
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

You'll do great! Don't worry at all. Bring something to distract you, it only takes about a minute!

&lt;3 Anya--

Well, I survived. 'Twasn't nice at all, but I didn't gag, which was good. They did the bottom one first, whchi wasn't too terrible, but the top on was worse. It felt like it was slowly slipping down my throat. To distract myself, I stared up at the dirt on the light and pretended they were tea leaves, and tried to figure out what they were.(you know how in HP3 movie you see the tea leaves at the bottom of the cup...)
    -Anna

good distraction technique!! welldone for getting thru it!!

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Wow, I've never thought of that! I must do that sometime. Or bring a kaleidoscope.

Anyway, well done! :-D

&lt;3 Anya--

my dentists has posters of penguins on the ceiling, that kept me distracted

Congratulation on getting through it, you done good!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11