Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was telling my cousin about how my aunt was touching my food today andI said that I better not catch anything from them touching the cookies. He said, "You don't get sick much do you." I said, "I dont know," because I didnt want to jinx anything. He said, "The two years you've lived next to me you've never had a stomach flu or anything....just the occassional stuffy nose." I didn't say anything after that. Now I will be jinxed and I will get sick...I just know it...This is how it works!!!!!
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=red>aol/aim screename: kraziqtashes&lt;br&gt;
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

thats silly kiddo! Your not gonna get sick becasue of a converstion. What I can see happening is you THINKING that this is what will happena dn giving yourself a panic attack which leads to feeling naseous which will make you freak out more and more and it you will have front row seats at the emet show. Just stop freaking out, the only way that that conversation could make you sick is if you THINK it will!

Take care, talk to me on AOL if you need to,

Lauren

Don't worry, that's not how it works at all, this is just emet talking.I know it's hard but try to think about it logically: v*ing and nausea are caused by stuff in your body, not by words or by having not been ill for ages. If anything that decrease your chances of getting ill. The only way you will get nauseaus or anything is if you worry too much. You definitely wont v*!!!

Hi

I know what you mean, if i ever say 'i wont get ill, touch wood' i absolutely have to touch wood or ill think im jinxing it. I rationalise and say, not touching wood cant make me ill as its germs that make you ill but i cant help it. Also I'll never comment on how I am health wise, i don't ;like to say im fine just in case

You are not alone, hope you are ok

I know it's easy to think that but please don't, you'll make yourself feel crappy worrying about it. I used to think that even thinking about or watching a tv show about v* would jinx me... but we all know that rationally that's not going to happen. You'll be fine!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

jo, I know how you feel....here's a great one, as an emet I am huge fan of the show ER, sounds strange doesn't it? There's sometimes the episodes that contain lots of v* get to me and then I think I am going to get sick...which is ridiculous, I mean its a TV show and that isn't even real v*, its some strange fx concoction they whipped up to look like it. Welcome to being an emet....and the fact that sometimes a healthy imagination can turn on you and bite you in the butt.....hell you responded to my post and look how nutty I am being.

msn IM: Abbey_Normal

myst,

thinking you'll be jinxed is just a symptom of obsessive-compulsive disorder, a close relative to phobia, and particularly emetophobia. sometimes it helps just to hear this, and know that your feelings are common ones. however, the only cure for OCD AND phobia is cognitive therapy, which you can begin yourself by REFUSING to believe such things as "jinxes". Sickness has absolutely nothing to do with jinxes - that's completely irrational. Start by making a log book of irrational thoughts such as this. Mark down the date, the faulty belief ("I will be jinxed"), what you think will happen (I'll get sick) AND THEN the next day write down in a final column that you were not, in fact, sick. Keep up this log book until it stares you in the face with reality.

It's more difficult to do when you avoid the things your'e afraid will "jinx" you. Try not to do that. Don't touch wood, for instance. Just write in the log book. Then the next day (or even in 2 or 3 days)you'll plainly see that touching wood had nothing to do with sickness. My point is to KEEP YOUR RATIONAL BRAIN WORKING. It is only logic and reason that can save us from this horrible disorder. Jinxes don't cause sickness. Vomiting isn't dangerous. These facts are both true. The more we tell ourselves the opposite, the more mentally ill we become.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We all do it. I am the same way. If I see someone on TV
    getting sick, I worry all night. It's almost comical if you
    think about it. We are so worried about it, that we turn
    everything into a "knock on wood". I knock on wood at least once
    a day. You will be fine. Carrie

Nawwww, I think you will be fine! I used to think I would be jinxed too in that type of situation, but I never have! Just look at it on the bright side...you are healthy! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte