Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Couldn't comfort my fiance yesterday...

The other night, my fiance and I had another couple over before we went to a bar. We all had a little Vodka. My fiance, who isn't a big drinker (so he has a low tolerance) had a lot more than he could handle.

At the end of the night, he was feeling miserable. I knew it was best to keep him cool so I helped him out of his clothes and had him put on some basketball shorts, I kept his face cool with a cold washcloth, made sure he drank water.

Unfortunately, the whole time, in the back of my head I kept worrying that he was going to be sick. I have only gotten close to being sick once while drinking, and I avoided that by taking deep breaths through my nose and exhaling through my mouth. I kept urging him to take deep breaths (something about the flow of oxygen to the brain helps you feel better). It seemed to be working, and once he went to sleep, I was pretty much worry-free.

Yesterday morning, however, he was still feeling awful. He asked ''How can I feel better?" Deep down, I knew that the only way he would truly feel better was to v*. I went out and got him Gingerale and wheat thins, but nothing was helping, and he didn't want to eat toast or the wheat thins.

I would go downstairs and get him water, holding my ears on the way upstairs and holding the glass with my arms. I was afraid that he had gotten sick while I was downstairs and terrified I'd walk in on him doing that.

He had a trash bag in the room, and he asked me to give it to him, and the tone of his voice sounded urgent, I quickly handed it to him and ran away! My heart was beating very fast, and I was really scared.

He knows about my emetophobia, and he knows that I love him with all my heart. But I felt so bad..all I wanted to do was be able to rub his back during and make him feel better.

It eventually happened, while I was in the room, I was covering my ears and I kind of screamed when it happened. My heart was beating really fast the whole time, and I squeezed my eyes shut. I KNOW my fear is really irrational. I know nothing ''terrible'' will happen if I hear or see it...But for some reason I'm still terrified. The sound scares me the most, I don't know why.

I don't know what to do anymore. Once he felt better, then I started feeling terrible. My stomach felt really uncomfortable for the remainder of the day, and I became really bloated and I don't know why. Today, I have been very irritable and I still feel very exhausted and tired. Not sure why I feel like this. Could it be linked to the experience yesterday?

Default Re: Couldn't comfort my fiance yesterday...

I always feel "sick" when someone else is sick. So that's probably why you're feeling this way. The good thing is that you know what made him sick. My emet pretty much stems from the lack of control...Like I can control the amount I drink so I don't get sick and if someone is clearly sick from alcohol than I know I am safe cause you can't catch that. Its just a gross side effect. So at least you know he's just hungover and not sick sick.

Don't know if mentally that helps, but at least you know its a result of a good time and nothing more :-)

It will be the anxiety...
    Oh my goodness, hope you feel better soon, I feel so sorry for you, and your boyfriend....:S
    Love 'n' Hugs,
    Lacey xxxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks!

@Ktina i do have some other 'control' issues that most likely stem from that. the whole time i was trying to 'control' his breathing and stuff like that.

@Lacey so it is probably the anxiety? i'm glad there's an explanation. i have been so irritable and feeling like crap since yesterday.

Anxiety can get nasty and aggro. lol
    Feel better soon xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You sound just like me!!! My hubby has ulcerative colitis, and when he eats the wrong foods, he wakes up in pain, with d* and sometimes v* too. I CANNOT stay in our bedroom and cannot comfort him at all until it is all over. I have to go to the furthest end of the house with my ears blocked! I know it sounds silly but yes, I do the same thing. Just try to comfort him after, I am sure he understands...

sounds to me like you did a pretty good job of trying to help him out....

your bad feelings today are from the anxiety ......i hate that part...

anyways....congrats....i think you did good
    how i feel about emet