Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Realization and new goal!

I am at college, but every weekend I go home and visit my family. This weekend, everyone else in my family was sick. My brother was just getting over it, my father was still sick, and my mom was just coming down with it. Thankfully "it" is just a really nasty cold.

I was extra careful to wash my hands, tried not to let them breathe on me, avoided their dirty tissues, made sure I didn't eat or drink after them, and just generally was careful about hygiene. I figured that since I was careful, I probably wouldn't get it. If I did happen to get it, it would suck, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I still went about and enjoyed my day, I helped look after them a bit, and I didn't spend all my time thinking "OMG! They are sick!" Now, admittedly, there was nothing wrong with their stomachs or it would have been a different story.

On Sunday, I had a realization. THIS is the way that I want to feel when someone around me has some stomach issue, be it contagious or not. I want to be extra careful and take steps to make sure that I don't get it, but not freak out it so much that the stress lowers my immune system, prevents me from enjoying my day, and keeps me up at all hours of the night. I want to be able to help the person who isn't feeling well instead of screaming at them, which is the most unhelpful thing you can do.

THAT is my goal, be careful to avoid infection, but not go to extremes.

Default Re: Realization and new goal!

Well done! Thats amazing, that you've 'past a milestone' in you battle
    I wish I could make a reverlation like that! xxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That is great! Makes you feel good and gives you a taste of what it SHOULD be like, even with stomach issues!

Thanks for sharing that. Great to see positives.

David

Also, on the upside, I didn't catch the cold! Colds are more contagious than stomach bugs anyway. It is fully possible to, with some basic cautions, avoid stomach bugs without bleaching every surface in the entire house constantly, avoid eating, or any of those other crazy things. I'll simply avoid using the same bathroom as the sick person, be extra careful to wash my hands before I eat, and not share food or utensils with them.

When a stomach bug does come through, I doubt that I will be able to remain this calm all the time, but I have a goal, and you can't achieve a goal if you don't have one set!

good for you!

i always wished i could feel like other people when the sv is going around.....not giving it a second thought......and if it does hit......do my "thing" and get back on with my life......how wonderful! that's how i want to be someday.....
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Okay, I didn't expect my new goal to be tested so soon!

I work at a school, helping out with a child who has been diagnosed with autism. Over the loud speaker we heard "Janitor to the cafeteria" and then ten minutes later "Janitor to the office." We all know what that means. Shortly afterwards, we were going for a bathroom break (the kid is only in 3rd grade, so takes bathroom break) the boys bathroom was blocked off with a note to use the downstairs bathroom. It didn't say it in the note, but again, we all know what that means. THEN, when I figured that it was over, we went to the learning support room for some extra math help. On the way there, the learning support teacher said that she just had a kid get sick in her room, all over the table. The janitor had already been in there to clean it up, but that doesn't change the fact that I was still in the same room that it happened less than 20 minutes ago.

The entire room stank of bleach, and the table where it happened was still wet from the bleach so we didn't even use the same table. (he had also accidentally sprayed some of the teachers things with bleach, which led to white spots on purple post-it notes) We did, however, use the same chairs, walked through the same door, ect.

Surprisingly, I'm not freaking out. I ate in the cafeteria (not my whole lunch, but about half of it) and sat with the kid I'm in charge of while we were in the learning support room. I washed my hands more times than I normally would have, but I have to trust in the janitor. I KNOW he used bleach, there so so much bleach that it gave me a headache. It is his JOB to clean up this stuff. He does this sort of thing every day (at least four times today...). It is considered a bio-hazard, they have to be extra careful.

No guarantees on how well I'll sleep tonight, but so far I'm really not freaking out about it. I even took sips of my tea in the learning support room. It also helps that I didn't see, hear, or smell any of it.

On the downside, I may have spoken too soon about avoiding catching that cold.

Okay, feeling somewhat anxious now, but am pretty sure that I have that nasty cold that my family did. I haven't eaten since lunch and I have no appetite, which was also a symptom of their colds. My stomach is somewhat upset, but it the only thing in it is sinus drainage, so that is to be expected. I don't have any crackers or I'd eat a couple of them, and I feel too tired to go out and get some, but not tired enough to sleep.

All in all, my illness is still worse than my anxiety, which is good.

It'll help your stomach to eat some food, because this will "dilute" the effects of the sinus drainage.

Hope you get feeling better soon. I swear by Zicam zinc suppliments for a cold. In fact I buy a bottle and start eating them if I am "definately" exposed to a cold, as a preventative.

Last week was one of those weeks. EVERYONE on the platform where I worked had caugh and runny nose.

David

Were you able to dodge your cold? And thank you for responding.

After a massive blow up of anxiety, I have restored some sanity, at least enough to type. I still can't decide if I was feeling sick because of the sinus drainage (I've never had that make me feel sick before, and I have had a LOT of sinus issues in the past) but I guess that I probably have snacks around, or I could have picked something up from one of the many sick kids at school. I don't know of too many stomach bugs that start off with sinus pressure, skip over diarrhea, and make their way straight to nausea.

I'm going back to school tomorrow (have to, it's my job) and I'm not worried about holding it together at school. When I'm working, panic isn't an option. I'm not there for me, I'm there for this kid and my job is to see to his needs. Me panicking does NOTHING to help an autistic 3ed grader, so I just can't do it. I'm worried about holding it together once I get home. So much for success with handling possible exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrilla View Post
    Were you able to dodge your cold? And thank you for responding.

.... Me panicking does NOTHING to help an autistic 3ed grader, so I just can't do it. I'm worried about holding it together once I get home. So much for success with handling possible exposure.
    So far so good (knocks on wood) I'm still just fine! Left the place on Friday so I would expect to have a cold by now if it was going to happen!

It's a good sign that you can make yourself NOT panic at school. That's a good sign that you have more control over it than you might think!

So you teach learning disabled* children? That's a very noble thing to do!

Sincerely,
    David

I say * because I remember they change the term used for these children every couple years, and all previous terms become "pejorative." I'm not in that loop and don't know what word to use other than "learning disabled." I'm not in any way trying to be rude or negative using that.