Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Does anyone else always have a plan?

Hi! I'm a high school student. A lot of the time throughout the day, I get spontaneously nauseous, and even if it's a little twinge, I'll multiply it like 10 times and freak myself out, worrying that I'm going to throw up in class. When I get the feeling, I stop paying attention to the actual class I'm in to look around for the nearest garbage can or anything in case I do have to v*, even though I never throw up (even though I could, I just hold it back). Again I also have to carry my anti-nausea medicine and a lot of the times I carry a plastic bag- especially when I travel.

And again at school, people are always saying "My stomach hurts" and it scares me. Every morning a girl in my bio class comes in and says she's nauseous and I just want to run out of the room, same with anyone else who might say it. And my friends say it all the time and I tell them to get away from me. Even my mom throws up a lot because she has a stomach problem (like me) which causes her to v* but I get really paranoid and ask her over and over again if it's just her normal stomach problem or if she's actually sick- then I'll go germ crazy trying to make sure I stay away. I hate it!

Default Re: Does anyone else always have a plan?

I'm a college student and I always have a plan too. I always sit closest to the door so I can run out if I or someone else gets sick. I ALWAYS have Dramamine or Pepto on me and when people around me look or say they feel sick, I won't even breath near them. I seriously will hold my breath when I walk past them. I think its normal for us to always have a plan... makes us feel like we have some control over the situation. I also believe that backup plans aren't terrible things. At least we have them and we aren't shutting ourselves in. Keep traveling and having fun

I think it's normal for emetophobes to look for the nearest escape route and the nearest thing to be sick in when we are out and about, and it's why lots of emets prefer aisle seats in theatres etc I think it maybe helps us feel a little more in control and compared to some of the other crazier stuff we do it's not really doing any harm.

As for the anti-nausea medicine, i think if you are carrying it as some form of security blanket (which is what I do) and you aren't taking it every time you feel sick then again not really doing any harm.

The good thing is that you are actually still going to school and carrying on with your life as normally as you can!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I like to sit near the doors too! Except in high school we have assigned seats. Luckily, I'm a senior so I'm only taking Government, AP English, and Anatomy&Physiology and those three periods are my first so if I don't feel well I can go home and just miss working on art projects so that's a relief. I would drink a huge glass of milk every morning last year and got sick every day (before they found out I was lactose intolerant) i was going home sick three out of five days of the week sometimes BEFORE even first period so I was on homebound the last part of he year so I wasn't missing work xD

And yes! I try to not take the medicine if I'm just a little sick, but if it gets worse and I legitimately feel sick I'll take it. But when i don't have it I just get a little afraid XD

I have a plan if I am somewhere that v is likely. It helps keep my calm. Rather than thinking 'if someone's ill I'll freak' I think 'if someone's ill I'll calmly walk out' or listen to my ipod or whatever. It usually works too!

I think it`s very difficult to plan ahead around people getting sick, but I always carry anti emets, & try to avoid very crowded places in noro season.

I always sit on the front row in the lecture theatres, closest to the door. Or if I'm on the bus and I get anxiety, there's always a certain seat I sit in; put my Ipod on and listen to The Drowsy Chaperone OST

It's got to the stage where I'm not bothered about integrating with the class; I just want piece of mind.

I only go into crowded places if I have to, & if I`m on a crowded tube, or in a lift, I think : how would I escape if someone Vted, & would I catch what they have if I`m trapped.