Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question The Holidays and Black Friday

I have been an emet for 45 yrs and this time of the year always causes me great anxiety. The crowds of shoppers, GERMS! The groups of people who get together for the holidays scare me. I won't go to a movie theater now until the spring. I would feel trapped in an enclosed area with germs floating around. I feel the same way about shopping malls. On the front page of today newspaper it reported that 3 area nursing homes had large numbers of their patients who had contracted the norovirus. YIKES!! It's in the area....

On a good note, I have a grown son and daughter, neither of which have any phobias. I feel good that I was able to hide it. Their dad took over when they were sick.

Anyone else become more fearful this time of the year?

Default Re: The Holidays and Black Friday

I've heard that nursing homes are a bad place for stomach bugs, which makes sense. A lot of older people's immune systems aren't as strong as younger adults. Plus, if they are in a nursing home there is a good chance that they have something else wrong too. Also, you have a nurse going from person to person, changing diapers, helping them toilet, and then moving on to the next person. That situation doesn't occur too often outside of nursing homes.

Also, only cold and flu germs are contagious through the air, not any stomach bugs, so close proximity to people in attempt to get those great Black Friday deals doesn't leave me worried. My family, on the other hand, does leave me worried.

Thanksgiving means going to my grandparents house, and I love my grandparent's house. Unfortuanitly, my grandfather was diagnosed with some degenerative muscle disease a few years ago and he has trouble swallowing. He will sometimes choke on the food and, while trying it cough it back up, he has been known to get sick. It doesn't happen often, but it could happen. someone posted 8 tips to getting through the holidays on here, I wish that I could remember who. I'm thinking of printing them out and bringing them with me.

I'm glad to hear that your kids never picked up your phobia! As you know, it is no fun to go through the holidays with this.

i think even non-emets get anxious/excited this time of the year........but on a whole other level than us emets.....so we get the double whammy.

i agree about the airborne germs.....i dont really worry about getting a cold........so when i am in a crowd i always try and keep my hands away from my face........and use the hand sanitizer when i get back in my car.....

i also agree about the whole nursing home thing......not the most sanitary places in the world either.......so try no to give much thought to that.

go enjoy yourself......just keep your hands clean
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I must be a freak... because when the Thanksgiving holiday/Black Friday shopping day comes, I make sure I am stocked up on food and stay in. If i need to go to the store for anything, I go at night when the crowds have gone home.

Just jumping in to say it was Sage who posted the tips.

Oh my you must live in the same area as me. Three nursing homes in my county with norovirus, and numerous schools in neighboring counties. I have been a wreck for weeks. The holidays make me super anxious. I have four kids, three of them in school. Luckily they are off this week, but my husband of course goes to work and we have to go to the grocery store every other day ugh! I avoid taking the kids to the store as much a possible this time of year. I also equate Black Friday and the crowded stores throughout the holiday season with germs!
    I am 43 and have been an emet since I was 2. I haven't been this anxious in a long time. We are big hand washers, and my hands are cracked from doing it so much.
    I feel like that awful virus is on every surface just waiting to get us. My 2 year old was due for a well check up on October and I am scared to make the appt because of the noro outbreak I keep hearing about. I am wreck.

I feel horrible about mentioning this, but I'm going to be one of those infectious black friday shoppers...not noro or anything, just a cold. (It took me two weekends of constant exposure and driving for hours in the same car/eating with my sick mother before I caught it, so I'm not sure how contagious it really is). Black Friday is as much of a tradition as Thanksgiving. Speaking of which, we aren't going down to my grandparent's house. As much as being around my grandfather stresses me out, I'm really going to miss seeing my family.

Also, thanks for the help! I remember now that Sage has posted it on her website! They were some good tips!

I'm feeling nervous as well but I'm actually about to leave to go to the mall with my daughter, mom and cousins. I'd really rather stay in but I need to overcome my anxiety and tell myself I can do this. Also, I want to find a dress for my birthday party
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blargh....see my Black Friday Nightmare posting in the private forum....but I survived