Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hello I'm a newbie to this forum. I am Clare, 37 years old.....almost 38! Had this phobia for about 24 years now......could be longer. Not sure why I have it, but does anyone know that?

I have been down the therapy, CBT, Hypnotherapy route with no real sucess. I have been taking Prozac and beta blockers for the last 15 years, and they have helped me no end, but obviously I still have my bad days.

I find this time of year particulary bad because of Norovirus, which is my biggest fear. Have started to over-wash my hands and they are getting really dry, but better than the alternative.

I was hoping to find a cure for this horrible phobia, but beginning to wonder if there is one. I just try and live with it, but it does limit my life.

I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Default Re: Newbie

hey clare.....welcome to the forum. you sound alot like me......although i'm way older......59 last week

i too have been on prozac for several years and i find that it does make my life more tolerable......but this time of the year is always scarey......but somehow i manage through.......most days are ok.....but still have a bad one every once and a while........

i haven't tried cbt or hypnotherapy.....havent even found a dr that knows about emet and i'm not in the mood to pay someone to help my if they don't understand it.

i hope you find some help and comfort here.....i know i have.......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Welcome! I'm cassie.
    I haven't tried cbt or hypno either, I have never really heard good results.
    You'll find a lot of support here, I think we all have,
    I'm always here if you're having a bad day!

Hi Clarebear... I have been suffering from this stupid phobia since I was 7 and it makes no sense. You will find support and help on the forum. We all understand. I too am very anxious this time of year (see posting on Black Friday) It seems most of us feel this way. I am not on any medication anymore so I am dealing with it naked :-) I used to be on Prozac then Lexapro, anti anxiety meds and I always found a way to have anti emet drugs on hand but all that is gone. I have nothing.
    Nice to meet you ...