Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Re: I've stayed off here for a week but REALLY need some answers... CBT?

Andrilla said i will never be 100 % cured on my " am i back to square " post. now im down

Default Re: I've stayed off here for a week but REALLY need some answers... CBT?

Quote Originally Posted by verityvee View Post
    Andrilla said i will never be 100 % cured on my " am i back to square " post. now im down
    Sweetie, you know that you twisted my words. I said that I don't believe in a 100% cure because it is always possible for someone who has made amazing progress to fall back into their old routines. Like an alcoholic who has been sober for 30 years having a drink and then having trouble again. It is possible to get to where it doesn't control your life, where you DON'T spend so much time thinking about it, and where you can deal with vomit like a "normal" person, but there is always the possibility for relapse if you don't keep your eye on your behavior.

The fear is learned, and it can be un-learned, but it can also be re-learned. Phobias mostly revolve around negative reinforcement which is the removal or avoidance of an unwanted stimuli (vomit, it our case). Negative reinforcement is VERY strong, if you start reinforcing the old phobic behaviors, you can bring this phobia back no matter how long it has been gone. I view it as more of a remission than a true cure.

CBT takes a LOT of work, and you have to be willing to put yourself through it and dedicate yourself to it 100%. You can't go around looking for proof that you have failed, you have to look for proof that you have succeeded.