Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default sv* Incubation period

What is considered the maximum amount oftime to pass to know that you will NOT come down with SV* symptoms? I know it has alot to do with what strain of virus and I see a typical incubation period of 24-48 hours (as little as 4-12 hours). My daughter was v* on Monday morning from 2am-6am and made a fast recovery within a 24 hour period. We all ate the same thing over the weekend and my oldest son who lives with us has been symptom free as well so far. When could I consider myself to be "out of the woods"! It's driving me crazy and Im scared to eat tomorrow (Thanksgiving) because of this dreaded phobia!!

Default Re: sv* Incubation period

You will be 'out of the woods' by now i think. I think noro is 12-24 hours depending how much was ingested, but was it noro your daughter had? I think you can get a strain of noro without d*....but the maximum is probably 64, because some fp cases can have incubation periods like that.
    Anyway, for your anxiety, tryhavng a relaxing bubble bath or something, or a shower. I'm sure you'll be fine
    Enjoy thanksgiving, Lacey xxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

She had one bout of d* but v* like about 8 times. SV* has been hitting her school district hard. She was in school a half day Friday, played at a friends house Saturday and Sunday but none were sick that we know of. I'm usually very good at back tracking. Assuming she came in contact at school on friday around 12 noon she had an incubation period of about 36 hours. It hit suddenly and without warning. SHe woke me up at 1:15 saying she felt bad but did not have a stomach ache or any other symptoms (therefore it was n*). At 2am she v* and did so twice an hour for about 6 hours. Sure sounds like noro.
    I've gone three years without a problem and now my phobia is back!

She must not have ingested much then, with a incubation period of 36hrs. Maybe she'd just eaten a bit of bad food. Don't worry yourself! I promise you'll be fine, PM me if you need to talk,
    Lacey xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John, I do the samething.. I always feel I am out of the woods and safe if 3 days have passed which would be 72 hours. That is just me and my way of coping. I am afraid to fall asleep at night because I don't want any surprises in the middle of the night. I know it doesn't make sense but it just helps me. I usually "sleep on the couch" and stay awake until 3 am. Seems that the bug hits in the middle of the night between 1 am and 3 am. Again this is just my way of coping and it doesn't have any rational.

You and I are so much alike. Night time is the worst!!
    I want to relax for Thanksgiving but it is within the incubation period! Also, several years ago my sone got sv* on a wednesday night 12-22..I was in hell throght Christmas and got is on 12-26 and my (NOW) Ex wife got it on 01-01 just after midnight. thats a 4-5 day incubation period so Im not going to feel safe till Monday! Sure makes the hilidays sad and I know my new GF will not understand my anguish!
    I guess there is no real way of knowing for sure!

The incubation period is maximum 48 hours. The only confusing thing is that it's hard to know when you contracted it because it can "live" on surfaces. If your daughter was ill on Monday and you were sure to clean up extremely well and not touch any surfaces then you are ok for sure. If you cleaned up after her, then touched the laundry room door knob and went back a day later to get the laundry then you could have contracted it on Tuesday. Anyway, that's how it works. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving because it sounds like you're past the time now.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

how long do germs live for outside the human body? on surfaces they must not survive forever. they must die after a while surely. why do they have to be so tough and durable
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

How did your thanksgiving go? Were the rest of you safe from it?

This a quote from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website! I hope this helps...it made me feel SO much better! (I am in the middle of the time....and I think I may have been exposed) 80(

"The incubation period for norovirus-associated gastroenteritis is usually between 24 and 48 hours (median in outbreaks 33 to 36 hours), but cases can occur within 12 hours of exposure. The symptoms of norovirus illness usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people additionally have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly. In general, children experience more vomiting than adults."

i understand when it says that it often begins suddenly. all of the times i've gotten sick, ive woken up suddenly feeling very n* like i had to v*. Now this could could prove to all the mums, that whenever their kids v*, its unlikely they will too
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.