Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default anaerobic nausea

After being away from martial arts class since spring, I decided to go back today and man, at the end we had a drill that involved intense burts of activity that lasted about 3 minutes and I felt like throwing up. I had to go and sit down afterward. One more minute of that and I'd have gotten sick. I used to be able to do those drills in my sleep when my body was trained for it. But having gone slack for half a year, my tolerance to anaerobic activity has dropped.

I do a lot of aerobic activity, I cycle frequently, go to the gym and have started jogging too. But that doesn't really help. Anaerobic activity is a whole different animal, and that's the stuff that makes you sick in the stomach. Funny thing is that it would probably be is a nausea-less vomit. You just feel this awful sensation over your body and you get this retching feeling in your throat, but not the kind of rolling nausea you get when you eat something back.

Default Re: anaerobic nausea

You'll get used to it! If you've done it a lot before you'll get stronger quicker than if you were a noob =) Good job sticking it out!
    If fear hasn't killed me yet, then nothing will.

Just curious, how intense do you have to put out to hit an anaerobic state? I read you say 3 min; but what level of physical activity does it take?

David

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    Just curious, how intense do you have to put out to hit an anaerobic state? I read you say 3 min; but what level of physical activity does it take?

David
    Well, martial arts can be extremely intensive. Same with boxing. I was in a drill where I had opponents attack one after the other for 3 minutes and I had to fend them off. Your heart rate goes way up, then you start getting muscle fatigue, and then comes the feeling of wanting to vomit. From what I understand, that happens because your muscles cannot get enough oxygen to replenish them quick enough so your body shuts down the blood to the digestive system to provide more to the muscles. It's the same reason that altitude sickness causes vomiting.

Quote Originally Posted by mooki View Post
    Well, martial arts can be extremely intensive. Same with boxing. I was in a drill where I had opponents attack one after the other for 3 minutes and I had to fend them off. Your heart rate goes way up, then you start getting muscle fatigue, and then comes the feeling of wanting to vomit. From what I understand, that happens because your muscles cannot get enough oxygen to replenish them quick enough so your body shuts down the blood to the digestive system to provide more to the muscles. It's the same reason that altitude sickness causes vomiting.
    Makes sense. And I see how the more efficient your heart / lungs are the longer you can go before this happens.

How long after the "I'm losing strength / speed..." point did the nausea kick in?

I'm curious because I've pushed my limits and found out what I can tolerate regarding most other nauseogenic situations. But I've never felt this one. I wonder how close I've come wothout knowing it?

Thanks,
    David

I had that feeling a couple of times as a kid from too much running around. I thought that I was not normal, so it`s good to know that it happens to other people too.