Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile "My Strange Phobia" Discovery Health channel

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you all know that FINALLY we are going to get what we've all been wanting for a long time- a little recognition and awareness about Emetophobia. I filmed a show called "My Strange Phobia" a few months ago about being an Emetophobic and I go through exposure therapy to help get over the problem! The main reason I did the show was for you guys (for me too because I was so ready to get over this!) I hope this show gives you all some hope for the future! So please please tune in! December 10th on the Discovery Health Channel at 9 PM EST!

Gaby

http://www.break.com/break-originals...lineup-1958131

check out this press release from Discovery- that's me in the first picture!

Default Re: "My Strange Phobia" Discovery Health channel

That's incredible! I'm just happy for you for launching a show on such a popular network! Good for you! And of course, thank you!!

xoxo

well when i say i filmed a show i mean that i was just one of the people featured on the show. I was by no means in charge of coming up with the idea for it or anything...they came to me through a therapist here in Chicago who I had contacted about getting treatment. it was a great experience and i seriously did it with the intention of only letting you guys watch it..im kind of hesitant to have my friends and family watch because they don't understand! i just found a trailer for it on youtube so you can see me freak out on a boat!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4t6O...eature=related
    Last edited by gcepeda; 11-28-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Either way, I'm happy for you

congratulations and thanks.....i can't wait to see it......it's been a long time coming..... hope you got alot of help from it....you're brave
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I wish I could watch it in the UK! I have discovery channels but I dont think I have discovery health. What channel is it for you guys - I dont know if you use Sky there? There is a discovery science channel though.. but congrats!
    Susie

Omg!!! Awesome!!! I cannot wait! :d

can't wait for my husband and the few friends that know about my phobia to watch
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awesome....! I'm so glad people are working on "outing" this phobia! You're so courageous!
    How did the CBT go btw? Did it help?
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

It definitely helped a lot! I recommend exposures for every single person...they are extremely hard but in the end, you feel like you can conquer the world! Here is a link to a trailer for the show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFediSuaUDY

leave comments because there are some haters on there and they need to be set straight!

Can I ask you gcepeda, are you afraid of the vomit itself, or of others doing it in your presence, or just you doing it?

Oh nevermind I watched the vid and it pretty much answered my question.

I was just thinking that if someone pulled a jar of v out in front of me, besides being grossed out like anyone else, I don't know if I'd have a panic attack. I think my phobia is limited mostly to just me doing it.

I fear it all..but mostly other people doing it in front of me or myself throwing up in front of others causing them to vomit. i was just so scared they were going to do whatever it takes to make me vomit on national tv...bc its good for ratings. i had no idea what they were going to do and it scared the crap out of me!

Quote Originally Posted by gcepeda View Post
    I fear it all..but mostly other people doing it in front of me or myself throwing up in front of others causing them to vomit. i was just so scared they were going to do whatever it takes to make me vomit on national tv...bc its good for ratings. i had no idea what they were going to do and it scared the crap out of me!
    Well I would just like to say that it was HUGELY brave of you! I'm sure you had to commit to doing whatever they asked you to, no questions asked. That's usually how that works. And, yes, they do have ratings to think about. Unfortunately for you, the more you freak out, the better it is for their ratings. I hope they gave you proper respect.

Although, if you pushed yourself to the absolute limit, then your recovery was more effective. I just can't wait to see it. I know this will help many emets, rest assured!

this is so cool! I cant wait

Gaby I just saw the trailer of you that looked like you were on a boat crying! <3 It's is amazing that you did this

thank you so much for being so brave and getting on T.V to talk about this!! I am going to let others know to watch this maybe we can get some understanding from people on how we suffer through this..I am actually an emet that is afraid of herself "v-in" it doesn't bother me as much to see others to do it only if I catch something and I do it...
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

i just want to say that when the producers asked me why i wanted to do the show, i told them that i was doing it for all the other emets out there who need help and are struggling out there like me. i wanted to be the first brave person out there to go on tv and get help and get over the problem and hopefully inspire others to do the same. its a problem that NO ONE understands if they dont have it and hopefully other people will start to realize its real to us. the cameras did bring out a lot of reactions from me that may not have really happened in real life (only because i was scared to death of what they were going to do to me!) but in the end the experience changed my life! i just cant wait to see how they edited everything to make me look like a complete wackjob..but whatever..it was worth it!

Thanks for doing that - at the very least, it'll help others realise that they can get help.

I watched the episode and I had a hard time watching it when he had you look at the jars, one of which had real *v* in it. I had the remote in my hand as I was SURE you were going to get sick too!! I finally watched the rest of the episode the next morning and I thought you did great handling the situation. I'm proud of you getting the help. I've tried but only just a couple of times, but I finally gave up trying to find someone that could help. Good luck!!

I wish I could watch the whole thing. I think maybe it'll turn up on netflix after a while or something. Kind of like the documentary "Emotional Life" did.

On another note, Im probably taking youtube commenters too seriously for once, but dang. Some people are just nasty!

HeatherC Guest

I just watched the show on Discovery Health this morning. I am just discovering that there is a name for this intense phobia that I have. I know that I need to get help because it truly is terrorizing my life.

I completely related with your struggle. I do not think that I could have looked at the jars of vomit. I went into a panic just watching you on TV in the room with the vomit.

I am interested in hearing, how are you doing now? Would you say that you are cured or that it is much better?

I DVR'd the show and watched it this morning. I'm so glad that you did this! I felt like I was watching my own life. It's so great to know that there is hope for everyone. You made me want to work even harder at CBT therapy and do more exposure work!

How are you doing now with the phobia?
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

HeatherC Guest

jmdonofrio- I watched the special this morning also and it made me want to try CBT to get over my fear too. Sometimes I feel brave, and other times just the thought sends me into a total panic.

Sugarskull7 Guest

Oh, I just saw the show last Friday night!! It's so funny - I kept seeing the tease where they showed you freaking out on the boat and I thought "Hey..I wonder if they're going to do a segment on Emetophobia" and they did! I was excited, but of course watched with my finger poised over the remote just in case! I love that some attention has been directed toward this. It's true, people that don't have it really don't understand. You did really great, I could NEVER have done the show, having no idea what they would do to me! Do you still feel like you're getting things more under control? I'm really, really curious about the long-term effects of the exposure therapy, and how you will handle a situation when/if one comes up (no pun intended) (okay..sort of intended)!

Love the show! I had my Dad and Boyfriend watch it too and I want to applaud you for doing it. You did so well! I almost broke down and cried because the way you described the fear is the way I feel most of the time and for my family to see it on tv and from someone else...I think it made them realize that I really do struggle with this. You were so brave! U should definitely be proud of yourself!
    "This too shall pass"

Anyone know if this is published online yet?

You may find these links helpful!

Holliee<3 Guest

Way to go, Gaby. You are SO brave for doing this. My mom told me that this was on the MSN home page or something the other day. You should be so proud of yourself. (:

hey, im new on here and im from england which i just realised your all from america but were all in the same boat so it doesnt matter, i have been scared of being sick and of other people being sick since from when i can remember, until about 8 years ago my whole family got a bug i starved myself so i didnt catch it as i was scared of being sick, it got that bad that i started having panic attacks and didnt want to leave the house. i was perscribed anti depressants and they told me if i didnt eat then i was going to die and that scared me as well i went home crying trying to eat soup. My friend researched the phobia for me as i thought i was the only person with this and thought i was a freak it took over my life i thought after eight years i need to come off my anti depressants but im starting to panic again and im scared that im going to go back to how i was, ive started counting how many hours between each meal so i know my stomach is empty and im worried im going to go back to sqaure one which i dont need. my mom understands and trys to be there for me but i have just recently moved in with my partner and doesnt understand me at all so feel a bit lonely and i need someone to talk to. i wish i knew your programme was on as i think it would of helped me i will try and see if i can see it on youtube or somethingx

Thanks for sharing the news with us. Thats pretty cool you got the chance to be featured on Discovery Health to help other emetephobics. I didn't know it was you in the video and a few weeks before I googled this emetephobia documentaries on Youtube and was very excited when I found out Discovery Health was doing on. I only saw the promo and thr trailer. I had the Youtube FF button ready when I saw the jars of vomit, actually didn't look at that part the first time but the next day couldn't resist seeing your reaction and I did look at it. You were very brave. I would love to watch the whole of this show, Im in the UK and I have Discovery Health channel, I will keep an eye out for it.

If anyone sees the whole documentary uploaded on Youtube, please do post the links. Thank you/