Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Avoiding foods

Hybrid View

Default Re: Avoiding foods

I have certain things I would rather avoid, but i won't list them. In my own mind they are 'unsafe foods'. Rationally, I know they are safe as my girlfriend and family eat all the things that I have issues with, all the time. And they have NEVER been ill. But i still can't eat them!

Best thing to do if ou have ever been ill after a specific food is to go bit by bit. Have small amount of it a month later and then a bit more a week or so after that until your mind learns that it is safe again.

A lot of non-emets have certain alcohol spirit avoidances i.e. something they drank way too much of as a teenager, which made them ill. And now they cant touch it. It's all mind over matter and just hearing the name of the drink can make them nauseous!

Default Re: Avoiding foods

Yep, can't touch pickled onions! And I got too drunk on bacardi once when I was 18 and I can't touch that now either! The pickled onion thing is a superstition, but the bacardi is because the mere thought of it makes me feel n*