Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: How many times have you vomited in your life?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

3 3.90%
  • Once

2 2.60%
  • Twice

4 5.19%
  • Three times

8 10.39%
  • Four times

4 5.19%
  • Five times

4 5.19%
  • Six to ten times

28 36.36%
  • Ten to a hundred times

22 28.57%
  • A hundred to a thousand times

2 2.60%
  • More than a thousand times

0 0%

Default How many times have you vomited?

In your life that you can remember? (By times, I mean actual vomits. If you vomited twice in an illness, count that as two times.)
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 05-12-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: How many times have you vomited?

Twice for me, two seperate illnesses, once each illness.

Three for me: three illnesses, one puke each time.

I actually only remember vomiting once from illness, and that was when I was really young. The others are all alcohol-related and unfortunately that was quite a few. So I'm in the ten to thousand category....

I've thrown up 5 or 6 times with a sv and maybe twice while drunk.

More than 10.

More than 10 times, when I was very little.

13 times. 3 years ago from food poisoning.. i dont eat anywhere but home anymore.

I can only remember throwing up once when I was maybe three years old. Other than that sheer willpower has kept me from it.

Does it count if you dry heave and nothing comes out?

^ No. That doesn't count.

Ok looks like I am very unusual here! I estimate I have v'ed more than 100 times, I am only phobic about other peoples sick. If I am ill enough to v, it often happens more than once. Also I have Crohn's disease, which has caused me to v about 15 times in the last 6 months!

Twice, that i can remember of, Eating too mcuh sweets at halloween as a kid and a bug when i was young, havent bee sick since :P

I can honestly only remember 2 times. And the wierd thing is neither time was traumatic or painful.
    One time i ran around a lot (5 yo) and puked because i drank so much and was so hyper.
    The other time I had a bug, around 7 yo.
    I almost V*d when I was 14 but stopped it so that doesnt count. Also a non painful experience.

Three times, each from a headache that was so extreme I got N* and then sick.

Then, in my quest to get over the phobia, I self-induced a few times. I don't really count that because it did not involve nausea, or feeling ill.

Peace,
    David

I voted for 10-100, because I've been blessed enough to avoid the SV most times but a couple of times when it did get me it got me good and there were well over ten times per each of those illnesses.

I used to be a regular binge drinker, I would only V about 50 per cent of times when I was drunk, but there have been a great many binges in the past. I haven`t Ved since I cleaned up my act in 1997. Taking into account both childhood & adulthood, I estimate that I`ve V ed 60 times in my life, something that I`m really ashamed of.

^ Vomiting is not something to be ashamed of. It is just something that people do. If you puke often, you're less likely to wind up in an emet support group than if you've only thrown up a handful of times.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    ...If you puke often, you're less likely to wind up in an emet support group than if you've only thrown up a handful of times....
    Lol - good point! As an example, I've only puked 3 times, but have made over 1000 posts here....

I have a feeling that if I did it, it would reduce my anxiety somewhat to "just get it over with", but I haven't gotten myself to that point. I figure if I can get progressively exposed to the point that I can watch these ipecac drinking videos on youtube with little problem, then maybe I'll be ready at that point. I actually did watch one of them and it was quite horrifying to see. I got through it, but I was deeply disturbed long after.

I've v*d about 9, 10 or 11 times. Three separate times. two of the three times I only v*d once and then the third time I v*d at least 7 times. That was awful.
    That happens sometimes, it's life. It happens, there's nothing you can do to stop it. Life just happens.

I can`t help but feel ashamed of Vting , as not only do I think that it`s a really gross thing to do, I`ve always thought that it was a sign ofweakness
    I`t`s the bodie`s way of saying that it can`t handle watever is going on with it. I think I mentioned that I had been laughed at for Vting , well, this happened when I had a SV at school when I was 10. My classmates called me a dirty girl & made fun of me. I think the roots of my attitude to Vting might stem from that experience.
    Last edited by hairyfairy; 10-26-2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    I can`t help but feel ashamed of Vting ..... I`ve always thought that it was a sign ofweakness...classmates called me a dirty girl & made fun of me....
    Kids can be so cruel! I used to feel so terrible when kids would do things like that to each other.

You should not be ashamed if you V "just because" you did it. Maybe a little shame if you knew you were ill and didn't take action. (such as; in the middle of a group of people) That would be quite rude. The rudeness would be shameful but not the fact that you had to V.

I don't see it as a sign of weakness, either. It's just a low vomiting threshold level. Some people have a more sensative "switch" in the brain. It takes less stimulation to "trip" this switch and cause V. Your mind and body DEFINATELY have a concious connection here. You can learn to not let this happen and it gets easier each time.

If you have a virus or food poisoning, it would be very very difficult to stop V'ing; but it is not that difficult to keep from V'ing from stress or emotions. In my opinion, the latter is just a bad habit that needs to be broken.

Just my opinion!!!
    Sincerely,
    David

I don`t really know if I have ever had a low, medium, or high V threshold, all I know is that I have never Vted in the situations that make many other people do it, like seeing something nasty, being scared or nervous, & I have been very drunk many times in the past without getting sick. It was only half the times that I got wrecked that I would V. I didn`t have morning sickness when I was pregnant, & I have had several anasthetics in my time, & I even ate after one of them, silly , I know, but I didn`t feel the slightest bit Ill as a result. there was one time that I was prescribed Metronidazole, & drank alchohol on it , as I did`nt realise that that stuff does`nt mix with drink. On none of these occasions did I get sick, so I suppose that my threshold has risen quite a bit since I was a child.

about five. sick 3 times and twice i just ate too many carrots. i mean ALOT of carrots.
    the last time was the flu in '07

OVER 9 THOUSAAAAAAAND!!!

I'm just kidding. Probably around 50 or so? I had a bad bout once, and that was 24 right there. Aside from that I'm sure I was ill a bit when I was younger...

You may find these links helpful!

Probably 100/1000 times here

Well I can only remember vomiting on 4 seperate occassions all from an sv, but one time I dont remember that well but Im pretty sure I vomited a couple of times. The strangest thing is, the first time I remember vomiting, I didnt really know what happened - I thought I had sneezed or something and didnt mind it at all! I think I even laughed straight after.. now look at me :P