Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Avoiding foods

Default Avoiding foods

Hi do any of you have certain foods you avoid because at one time you vomited when you had eaten or drank that thing?
    I remember when I was about 6 I drank too much cherryade and puked it up everywhere. I couldnt drink it for years and even now I have to have half a glass!
    My cousin (a non emet) had cabbage once and she hasnt touched it since!

Default Re: Avoiding foods

i'm the same way.......i hate that i can remember every detail of a sick day....what i wore, what i ate, where i went.......as if that had anything to do with it..................stupid emet......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yes I do, I think even alot of non-emets get put-off a food if they were ill after it, but I think we tend to take it to extreme sometimes and never eat that food again for the rest of our lives! However, it's not helpful to list those foods or drinks here because alot of members have serious eating issues and it can put them off eating even more when they see other peoples blacklisted foods on here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Same. Spaghetti Bolegnase.,..

Yes, as a child I would never eat a food that I had v'ed before. I would tell people I was allergic to it! As an adult, I tried all the foods I avoided as a child and guess what happened? Nothing! Now I don't avoid foods for longer than a week or two, apart from anything else I wouldn't have anything left to eat lol.

Of the few times I remember... I now never eat freshly chopped pinapple and if I eat any form of pinapple it is in small amounts. I avoided jam doughnuts for a while too, but they are so nice. I guess because I'd had them many times before I wasn't as put off.

I used to avoid lots of foods that I feared might make me sick. I am still very careful about eating in restaurants for that reason, but I'm much better than I used to be. The one thing I absolutely cannot eat is Ranch dressing because to me it tastes like vomit. I seriously sometimes gag at the thought of it.
    Elizabeth

I'm the same. I only ever eat the food my mum has made and I have to watch her make it. I never eat school food and now I'm kind of underweight.

I have certain things I would rather avoid, but i won't list them. In my own mind they are 'unsafe foods'. Rationally, I know they are safe as my girlfriend and family eat all the things that I have issues with, all the time. And they have NEVER been ill. But i still can't eat them!

Best thing to do if ou have ever been ill after a specific food is to go bit by bit. Have small amount of it a month later and then a bit more a week or so after that until your mind learns that it is safe again.

A lot of non-emets have certain alcohol spirit avoidances i.e. something they drank way too much of as a teenager, which made them ill. And now they cant touch it. It's all mind over matter and just hearing the name of the drink can make them nauseous!

Yep, can't touch pickled onions! And I got too drunk on bacardi once when I was 18 and I can't touch that now either! The pickled onion thing is a superstition, but the bacardi is because the mere thought of it makes me feel n*

I went out (before i was emet) i was 14 years old, and the craze at school was drinking, going out getting paraletic. So there's me thinking i was cool by doing this, 1st time drinking a whole bottle of Cherry Lambrini.. Oh and boy was i paraletic.
    I was sick so violently i curled up with my dad (checking my pulse every 5mins) on the bathroom floor and passout. The next morning, all i would taste was the Lambrini.. then to my joy i was then sick another 3 times that day.

I WILL NEVER EVER TOUCH CHERRY LAMBRINI EVER AGAIN!
    ​The best is yet to come....

OMG Spaghetti Bolognaise is something my son avoids since he was sick after eating some at Pizza Hut and he isnt even an Emet!!!!!!

soomangoo Guest

yea i definitely do that.
    i'll never eat mac&cheese again which was my favorite food and i try to avoid carrot cake.
    i also never wear anything that i wore that day again
    stupid emet.

Don't you hate that!!! Emet has taken some of the most delicious foods away! I used to avoid but I refuse because I am a foodie!

I've always loved fast food but I hardly ever eat out anymore. From McDonalds I'd always eat the double cheeseburgers, but now I just eat the fries because I know nobody has touched them. I can trust my mum to cook my food as long as I know she has washed her hands first.

Holliee<3 Guest

I won't eat celery or green beans or muffins anymore. i also won't drink gatorade or coke. i won't wear the same clothes i was wearing when i got sick, and i won't go in one of my bathrooms anymore.

Holliee<3 Guest

also i rarely eat meat, because i'm scared it hasn't been cooked properly and will make me sick.

I never drink barley wine now, although it used to be my favourite drink, the trouble with it was that I always got sick on it. I also steer clear of takeaways, as you can`t be sure they wont give me food poisoning.