Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: So Here I am...

Scared to death at work, the girl who was out last week with what she is calling a stomach bug is back and I am terrified I will catch it. Now granted first it was a medication thing that was causing her to get sick everytime she ate, that was back on Dec 20th. Then she was getting sick again last week and called out on Thursday and Friday, so technically I haven't been near her since last Wednesday. To add to it, she hates her job here and her last day is Jan 14th....she probably wasn't even sick, just burning sick days and taking a long New Year's weekend, so why I am so damn scared? I can't eat, I am too terrified, I have been a wreck since Dec 20th when this all started, this girl's problems are ruining my life...so why am I letting them?

Anyone think this is anything to worry about, or that I could catch anything, I just need some reassurance right now that everything is going to be ok...
    msn IM: Abbey_Normal

Think of it this way though, if she did indeed have a stomach bug, it was last Thursday and Friday. That is plenty of time to not be contagious anymore. Would it be possible for you to strike upa conversation with her about it just to ease your mind? Maybe dig in a little and ask about it. I know the quizzing other people about their stomachs may be an annoying habit of us emets, but sometimes the quizzing reveals that we need not be scared. I'm at work right now with a woman who had the stomach bug this morning and she came into work anyways!!!! I've given myself a headache over this and there's probably no need. I mean, how many of us have come on here saying a coworker is sick and we're scared... yet none of us has gotten sick from a coworker! Try and calm down, I know, easier said than done because I'm in the middle of my own panic, but maybe we can comfort each other.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Thanks, jo....I know its terrifying. People don't understand that what is no big deal to them, other than an inconvienece about them not feeling well...is a massive panic attack for us.

Rationally I know there is no reason to be scared, but I still am. At least on the up note, for the first time in 2 weeks she's eaten and I don't think she's v*. It's like my mother keeps telling me, she's been ill for 2 weeks, if it was something I or anyone else could catch would someone else have it by now? And no one has.

I just feel like curling up in a ball and crying right now, I am getting so tired of living like this.

Your mom's right.... esp. with her v*ing at work, someone elsewould have come down with it by now. My gosh though, you'd think she'd be tired of being sick. Sheesh!

I know how you feel though, I get panicked even when someone is drunk, it's just being around someone v*ing for whatever reason and I'm scared, so it's understandable you feel the way you do.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I just want to make the fear go away, I couldn't sleep last night causeI was afraid to come to work. I haven't eaten anything yet today cause I am now too scared to, I'm a wreck and I am tired as hell of being like this.

I know... it's a scary thing to decide to try and beat. I've just started with a new therapist specifically for this fear, and it's so scary to think that I may have to come face to face with this, but like you I'm just tired of not enjoying life, scared to wake up in the morning and go through the day. My hope is that we can all be free from this.

Okay, I'm starting to calm down now....she's been eating for like the last hour and still complaining about not being able to "kick" this bug....another girl and I here at work think this is all related to morning sickness (all though, how do you bluntly as, so are you pregnant or what?) If its not pregnancy related, at the very least its nerves from starting a new job and moving to a different city. Let's face it, anyone who has been sick for two weeks would not keep coming to work (well maybe they would) but at the very least would not keep eating if they didn't feel like it, right? RIGHT....

OKAY, so stop being scared. This is really so much easier said than done. Sparky is right....FEAR, false information appearing real....got to remember that.