Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm planning on going to a concert this summer. But there is only one problem : my emet might get in my way. I KNOWthat there will be people drinking and doing drugs and I'm paranoid that someone will V****. I will be sooooo embarrassed if I panic in public. Also .. O.T. .. I want a dog but dogs can V**** and that's too risky for me ... better stick to rats.

any suggestions that might help?

RaVeN

My first concert was Incubus [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img], and our seats were in the balcony. Plus, where we were, you couldn't even smoke cigarettes, let alone do any drugs. I don't recall anyone drinking either. This may be a little more of an expensive alternative. If you have lawn seats, you can sit anywhere you'd like. Hence, if you were to have your fear happen, you can just move far, far away. The most important thing to do is toHave Fun!

As for the pet situation, the only time dogs v**** is usually when they've eaten something that they're not supposed to. If you live with someone, talk to them about it and see if they understand your fear so they can help you out if that does happen.

I Hope I Helped You Out Some...Edited by: missbecca

Raven
    hey - im a massive music fan and have been gigging it up since i was 18 or so. have been to literally 100's of gigs and in all my gigging time i have only encountered a 'few' v*ing incidents....and these being at long weekend fetivals such as the Reading festivals in the UK -(not wanting to put anyone off tho - but do be prepared if ur planning on going!!)

my advice wld be to sit if poss - standing is cool and i hate sitting - but this is prob best if ur really worried. if u do stand - then just dont stand directly under balconies - as a rule (note - this has only hpnd ONCE out of literally a hundred or so gigs - so please please dont worry!!)

just go and enjoy urself - and remember - if u hate it then just LEAVE - its not the end of the world if u just go home!

ems xx

The only time I have ever had any kind of problem with v* was at
    Ozzfest last year, and I've also been to a ton of concerts. The problem
    at Ozzfest was that it was August in Southern California with no shade
    anywhere and a lot of drinking going on. I ended up having to go home
    after second stage was finished anyway, partly because I was panicking
    and partly because I was passing out from the heat.

hey i went to reading festival too the year that nofx, incubus, progidy etc played and i had a great time. I went with my boyfreind and alot of other people. My boyfreind david was the only person that knew about my emet and was so supportive! even on the trains getting there he looked after me because im claustraphobic too.

Do you have a good freind that you can tell? i have been to alot of gigs before and most people have some self control because if they get sick, they will miss out on a good show they paid for! At reading festival my boyfreind kept an eye out for any1 close that might vomit and if he saw it happening or about to happen, he just grabbed my hand and said come with me and escourted me away. I didnt find out the reason of this untill after! But just remember, its not too bad if some1 vomits at a show, just tell yourself you cant catch it, they have just ad too much to drink etc.

I wouldnt advise eating at a festival or inside a venue unless its something like crisps thats pre wrapped so you know its safe.

What concert are you going to see?

Hey there! I'd definitely advise you to go to the concert. My favourite band is the red hot chili peppers and they were doing a concert at hyde park this summer and I really wanted to go but couldn't get tickets. I was so bummed out that I couldn't go. My emet wouldn't have stopped me but I was really annoyed that I didn't book earlier. Trust me, you'll regret it if you don't go!

About the dog thing, you'll find that they vomit rarely. I have cats and they vomit once in a blue moon. It is extremely rare for any animal to get so ill that they vomit!

Hope my advice helps! From Chris

PS - WHO ARE YOU GOING TO SEE IN CONCERT?!
    ISAIAH 41:10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm going to something called Warped Tour that's sponsored by Vans. For everyone who doesn't know what that is, it's a mainly punk-music festival with loads of bands. I'm mainly going to see Good Charlotte, my fav band. It's still far away, this summer. But I chickened out of going last summer { 2004 } even though I had tickets. But not to worry, I got them for free ... so I didn't waste any money. Thank you all for the advice, it means a lot to me { XOXO }.

And on the dog subject ...

My house is a little on the small side to have ANY kind of dog, but maybe when I move I can get one. I want a boxer. Maybe if I get a dog and it DOES v****, I can use that to desensitize myself with that and THEN move on to humans [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Love you to all for replying ... RaVeN

PS .. keep replying, I love reading it [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Definately go. You'll regret it if you don't. I have been to many concerts and have never encountered a v* situation, and when I was younger I was into some pretty heavy music and went to some very questionable places where there was a lot of drinking and smoking pot. I even helped serve beer at a Kiss concert last year and didn't encounter anything. Just keep your eyes open and pay attention to your surroundings. You'll have a great time! Try not to freak yourself out this early in the year.

About the dog thing... yes, dogs v*, puppies mainly because they're getting used to food and such, but it's not the same as a person. It's not pleasant but it's not horrible. I love my two dogs and wouldn't trade them for anything, and my cat too! He v*s worse I think... those hairballs!!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

GOOD CHARLOTTE ARE GREAT! I haven't got their first album but i've got chronicles of life and death. Seriously, Go! It will be so cool!!!
    ISAIAH 41:10

party_boi3423 :

THX ! someone who likes GC .. finally .. like my avatar ? [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Thank for the support everyone, it means a lot to me. By the way ... I added you to my msn list !

Anybody who wants to talk to me on yahoo! or msn messenger or aol instant messenger, here are my SN's :

yahoo ID : raven_dee_moonstone

AIM : RavenDMoonstone

MSN address : [email protected]

have fun with that ! CIAO BELLA ! RaVeN

I went to the warped tour two summers ago and it was awesome!!! Go trust me its worth it and there wasnt any v* in sight. I didnt see anyone sick at all. The moshpits however were crazy so ifyou dont like huge crowds of people on top of you then stay towards the back lol. enjoy the concert[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    *..Chrissy..*

\"Beneath the makeup and under the smile, was a girl who just wished for the world\"-Marilyn Monroe

I probably will end up going. With a couple friends who know about my emet and will 'protect' me [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    It's going to be a nerve wracking experience for sure, but I've got til this coming summer to prepare. But that just goes to show how much I worry in advance.

RaVeN

you really should go. if not then you let it beat you, but I can understand your problem my boyfriend is the light tech for a band here in salt lake city. and they have free shows every friday night at their band room, there is drinking and pot smoke there. I do get VERY nervous. my fear is like yours. more afraid of others doing it than me. It gets pretty wild at practice.

www.jezusrides.com that is the band site.

Youshould go to the concert, you will enjoy it and hopefully it will take you mind of this horrible phobia. I paid £50 for tickets only the other year and because of stories of bugs around I didnt go ... felt so misserable and stupid I had let this phobia get the better of me. The following year, samething but this time I faced my fears and went. Concert was great and I didnt get ill.

I do know how you feel though, I go to car shows throughout the year. Some involve overnight stays at camp sites. Worst was in 2003, we stayed at the onsite camp with hundreds of others cramped into a small field. Most were getting pretty drunk and my thoughts turned to the fact they may all v* There was only one toilet block - nasty chemical toilets at that!! Could not sleep for listening out for those noises ... but none came. In the end everyone had a really good time. Have to admit though I didnt go to the toilet for nearly 14 hours because I didnt want to visit them after a night of everyone else getting drunk...

One thing I did find helped was my minidisk player. I popped it on low and that blocked out any sound from outside .... its saved me from so many similar situations since then. Good thing is you can get several CD's worth of music on one disk (suppose bit like the MP3 players that are around) so you dont wake up halfway through the night to find the music has stopped.

Take care, Sarah xxx
    Sarah xxx