Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Shut UP!!

Sometimes I wish people at work would keep their mouth shut. OF COURSE I over hear this chick talking and she casualy says, Oh, I had the stomach flu sunday. I just wish I was oblivious to people that had it or talk about it. I was fine until this! I know its not the girls fault, but I wanted to punch her! My boyfriend just went back to school so I wont see him for 2 weeks at least. Just having a crappy day!

Besides ranting, I had a question for y'all. How many times have you had the stomach flu and how many years apart from each time. I am 26, I had it twice. Once when I was eight (last time I V*) and another time 2002 with just D* and fever, but was taking anti emetics so dont know if I would have V*.

I know how you feel and I wish people would just keep their mouths shut
    sometimes, too. On the other hand, part of me feels better when I know
    there's something going around.

I've had it twice that I can remember as well. I'm 23 now, and I had it
    last when I was 16. The time before that, I think I was 11 or 12 (I
    can't remember now because I wasn't so scared of it back then). I keep
    thinking I'm due for another round, and that scares the hell out of me.

I feel like im due too. I was trying to figure out the amount of time that goes by for each episode. I dont know why I bother when that time will eventually come anyway. Ill feel safe for a few years, then freak out when I feel my time is up. I cant beleive how neurotic I am becoming! It makes me sad. Take Care!

I'm like uidactinide, I like having information, I feel like I can then ramp up my handwashing and avoidance, it's the one thing I can control.... I know it's the worst thing for us, but I'm not at that place where I can start to practice exposure instead of avoidance. I don't however, like the fact that I happen to be at the right (wrong) place it seems when people are talking about bugs, v*ing, etc., it's as if my ears are tuned in to hear these specific things. It's like, man, if I'd only been here 10 seconds later, I wouldn't have heard/seen that.... [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

The last time I had the stomach flu was January 8, 2002....the time before that I had it at 3 different times in 2000. (Sept., Nov, and Feb.) My kids were all so young, so if one didn't get it from school, the other one did! Then, before that, I had it, I had it in Oct. of 1995. Before that it was years before I had it. I never had it between 1889-1995. Oh, I had it at a foster home in 1988...but anything before that, I was too young to know what I v'd from. I honestly can't remember any "for sure" stomach bugs before that; for it could have been v'ing from something I ate.

As for the people at your work, that really sucks!! I hate when people talk about how they just had the stomach flu. It just ruins your whole day...and sometimes your whole week! Hang in there...I am sure you will be fine! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Charlotte

I too panic more when I hear someone talk about them having it. Then I get cautious about cleanliness. I am so tired, of watching for this stuff. I just wish therapy would hurry up but I knwo I cant hurry my healing aahhhhhhhh this suck.s
    The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~ee cummings~

I know what you mean about people just saying things and you wish they would shut up. My friend gave a delightful story about his new years eve when all his friends got back to his house. It actually made me want to throw up myself - not so charming.

There are 4 times I can remember being sick. November of when I
    was like maybe 10. November of 1990, January of 1999, and January
    of 2003. Before that I can't remember. So 4 bugs in
    16 years.

I think I've had it about 5 or 6 times in 20 years - mostly after my boyfriend-now-husband moved in with me, ha! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Surely I've built up an immunity to his germs by now! Mainly I've got away with just runs and fever. One time I was retching but didn't v* - probably would have felt better a lot faster if I had - and at the time I wasn't scared at all, just fed up and bored -but sadly it still didn't cure my phobia. Another time I got it, feeling awful with the runs, I phoned my mum to say I couldn't visit - and she said she'd been v* all weekend. The point is thatI think I caught it from her as we'd been together 2 days earlier - but she v*d and I didn't. (This was years ago, so don't panic!)

Anyway, yes, how I wish people would keep it to themselves!My heart sinks and I kind of shrink with fear inside when someone mentions it, especially at work where you have got to touch the same things they have touched - and I go handwashing crazy and rationalise all the reasons why I won't catch it this time!! Sometimes it seems as if, as soon as the latest epidemic is over and I start to feel safer, another one crops up. Aaargh!

On the other hand, perhaps it's better to know so one can take precautions? I so admire people who copewith children. I have no kids, never wanted them, but among the many complex reasons is a) I couldn't have coped with their bugs and b) I couldn't bear to incflict the suffering of this wretched phobia on another human being. Emet parents,teachers and medical people havemy utmost admiration.

Just to clarify my message above - I am not 20, I'm in my 40s. After traumatic v* eposide when i was 7 in 1964, I cannot recall having any stomach bug AT ALL untill about 1984! If I did, I can't remember, which is a blessing!