Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Cant take it anymore!

I just found this site today after deciding to look up a phobia of vomiting. i found so many people like me! it makes me feel a little better that im not alone... Ive had this phobia since i was about 12 but it got alot worse at the age of 19. i had to be taken off the job, i stayed at home, alot, annd was prescribed zoloft. the zoloft helped alot!! I still had the fear but less, only when i knew people where sick around me, or if i was feeling sick myself. I started taking Gravol every time i felt sick and it always seemed to work, its helped me alot, not sure if its always a good thing though. anyways i now have a baby and when i feel sick i usually have a little ritual of watching something on tv to take my mind off of it but with a baby i cant anymore, im having trouble dealing with this phobia, i just cant do it anymore!! me and my baby had the flu about 8 months ago, i wasnt sick vomiting but bad diarreah, and nausea, my boy was vomiting alot and than my boyfriend got it and he was vomiting.... ever since that happened i am terrified of the family getting it again, with my boy going to day care and everything.... its controls my mind!! right now i have some sort of virus, ive been having watery diarreah for 3 days now with nausea, i cant eat cause im scared to be sick... i need to go to work later and i will be so weak! i need help!!! why am i so afraid!!??

Default Re: Cant take it anymore!

I understand how you feel. I'm the same way. I've had a pretty good immune system my whole life but since I got sick and threw up in middle school I have had a fear of it ever sense. Eat something light, like some crackers or toast and drink some sprite. I also take Zoloft for my panic attacks.

You mentioned you had a child. Did you have morning sickness with him? How did you deal with that. I want a family so bad but I'm afraid of having morning sickness while pregnant

i understand 2 i have 3 children and they r always getting sick it terrifies me 2 i think its worse cos we feel so alone when im explaining 2 my husband (who is very understanding) i find my self keep saying it sounds so stupid wen i say it out loud!

Crimson.....If you eat NOTHING your body has nothing to process and although you may not consme anthing your body still produces stomach acid and body fluids which has to be digested so it may actually exacerbate your diarrhea.....I agree start small..(crackers)...and be sure to keep hydrated....with electrolytes (gator-aide)..stay away from dairy it is hard to digest. Oh dont share drinks and wash hands.....ALOT...of course I would say that....I wash about 80 times a day....dang OCD..hahaha

Sippi......I have 5 kids and NEVER did I get sick from pregnancy.....thats sad that this is preventing you from having a family.....HUGS!!!

Hi there! I can't seem to figure out why I have this phobia either. Ive been to counseling and been on and off meds such as Selexa and Prozac-neither help Emet. Lorazepam which is Ativan is the only thing that takes my fear away but it is highly addicting so I try very hard to take it only when I am in high panic of getting sick (V). I have a daughter and she gets the stomach bug every year. I keep clorox water in the sink at all times and constantly spray house with Lysol. I even open windows in the winter time! This is an awful fear that wish to conquer and hope that you will as well. Remember you can only catch the stomach bug by ingesting either (V) particles from mouth of infected person or on a glass perhaps...not just through saliva, there has to be (V) particles. If there are fece particles from infected person and you touch it to your mouth or nose you may ingest it that way too...soooooo.....wipe around the toilet often with bleach and spray lysol....wash, wash, wash you r hands and if it is your child who is (V) than make suer they stay clean and use Listerine mouthwash after getting sick. Always close the lid to the toilet when flushing. I've researched this to death and the stomach bug isn't as easy to catch as you may think. It's not airborne like a cold excpet if the infected person (V) and particles hit you and you digest YIKES I know I'm sorry but these are facts.....I wish you and anyone else who is so scared right now well...it's tough but through research and support we all have a very good chance of getting over this.

Welcome to the site Crimson. Please read through the "Information and Research" section of this site - or the same information is on my website (link below) as I wrote it for here. It will really help a lot.

And I'm sure you'll have lots of support from the people here - they're great!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Do you not believe my info Sage? Would you like me to post a link?

when i decided i wanted to have a baby I knew that there was a huge chance that i would get morning sickness but i wanted a baby more than the fear of having morning sickness. I didnt have any morning sickness, just nausea from time to time thank god lol