Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Alcohol & Emet

Question Alcohol & Emet

Hey guys,
    So Im super emet. have been since I was 8 (How i got this way is a whole other story im not quite sure im ready to talk about yet.) I've been searching and searching for info/advice on this particular matter....
    I haven't had any alcohol for a VERY long LONG time, I was avoiding it for an entirely different reason than just my emet. but now that other reason it kiiind of out of the picture and I want nothing more than to go out and drink with my friends but Im too scared that it will make me ill. Im 22 and tired of alienating myself by refusing to go out and enjoy a drink. Im hurting myself socially and Im kiiiiinda over it. Im super terrified about alcohol making me sick, i fear that even the tiniest amount will make me ill. I get shaking and my palms get clammy when I go out sometimes. Anybody have any advice on what safe to drink and will be V*** free???? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Default Re: Alcohol & Emet

Personally, beer makes my stomach hurt.. so i always stay away from that! But as long as you dont drink too much of anything you wont get sick! 1 drink definitely wont hurt you! I know how you feel though, I always get nervous when I drink.. even if ive only had a little bit i'll get paranoid and think i feel sick... stupid emet! :P just try to keep in mind that one drink wont make you sick! and make yourself believe it!

I am also 22 and fear the same! I used to b able to drink a lot because i had built up a tollerance but that was so long ago. now one drink will make me feel nausea. PLUS emet makes u think h no im gonna b sick: and thus adds to the anxiety. really, the more u think about it the more u will psych youself out and let the paranoia make u feel sicker. if you have one drink, drink it slow, and ONLY 1! then do this a few more times. then after a few times have 1 1/2 drinks. this will build ur tollerance. but i dont drink or go to bars, people offten v* in or at bars. i live up the street from 2 bars, i have seen plenty of v*.
    Raven, thats me.

Yeah, like others, beer is nauseous-making to me. But wine! Wine is divine! I wouldn't recommend things like rum (too sweet) or other liquors, but wine is great and is often encouraged by doctors for cases of stomach problems! I used to drink a glass every night before bed when my emet fear was at its peak. It was great for unsettled tummies and calmed my nerves as well.

But no more than one glass a night. Any more than that and you are getting into treacherous territory.

Red wine over white or rose too. And if you are not fond of the typical dry reds, start with Riunite Lambrusco. It's a sweet red and not too expensive. I loooovved it.

You just need to be aware of your limits and not go OTT with the booze. 2 or 3 drinks over a few hours in the evening isn't going to make you sick. Best to have some food before you go out drinking as the food absorbs the alcohol and it doesn't enter your bloodstream as quickly as if you have an empty stomach, and having a glass of water or something non-alcoholic when you're done is good to prevent dehydration.

As for what to drink, it's all down to trial and error. Beer is definitely quite bloating so might not be great for someone who's hyper-aware of their stomach sensations. Wine mixed half and half with soda is nice and a good 'weaker' drink to start off on, vodka mixed with soda and a dash of lime is nice too. It's personal taste - if you like sweet drinks then a spirit mixed with coke or lemonade is good, if you like drier drinks then cider is good.

As for v* in bars, I've been drinking in bars for around 18 years and I guess I've seen maybe 2 or 3 people v*. So it does happen but it's rare. What you see more of is v* on the streets on the way home but that usually happens when people have been drinking heavily all eve and the fresh air hits them when they leave at the end of the night and they v*. Leaving the bar before the end of the night when everyone leaves can help avoid this

Have fun - drinking alcohol is really enjoyable if you're sensible xx

i'm not too fond of drinking........i drank when i was 18 a little bit......but i've found the anxiety of wondering "how much is too much" a bit too draining......so i just quit all together. haven't had a drink in over 34 years......i still go to bars....hang out with friends , etc. i just don't drink......which pleases alot of my friends so i can be the designated driver........

i'm of the belief of "if i have to question myself before i eat/drink/smoke/take it......it's not worth the anxiety" i create enough anxiety on my own......lol
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love beer, but only good microbrews, not the cheap stuff. I also love wine, but whatever I'm drinking I always limit myself to 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine. As long as you don't get smashed it's pretty easy to control yourself. No wine or beer has ever made me feel sick, on the contrary it makes me feel really relaxed and calm.

If you're going to go out and drink, decide beforehand that you're only going to have one beer or one drink and just sip off of it all night. That way it will only be one drink and you won't have to worry about accidentally overdoing it.

Go have fun!
    Elizabeth

I drink real ale and single malts. I avoid alcopops, shots and lager. I'm a much more afraid of other people v* but I'm still quite wary of v*ing myself although not to an obsessive extent so I don't have a big problem with drinking alcohol.

Never in my life have I ever v*d or had a hangover after drinking real ale. Lager has a tendency to give me terrible hangovers especially if I've not had much to eat beforehand, apparently it's something to do with the bubbles. After having a bad experience with them I avoid shots altogether and I'd advise other emets to do likewise, not a mistake I'll ever make again.

Piece of advice about hangovers though. Eat something sugary and drink a couple of glasses of water before you go to bed. The awful "hangover shakes" are caused by a lack of sugar and dehydration just makes you feel ten times worse. It doesn't guarantee that you'll feel 100% good in the morning but it'll take the worst of it away.
    Also, if your drink tastes funny send it back! And don't mix your drinks if you can help it, apparently that's the main cause of v* when drunk.

*edit* Google time! Apparently lager is more likely to give you a hangover because the brewing process uses a lot more chemicals than ale so the body has even more toxins to filter out. Stick to good ales, wines and spirits if possible rather than cheap, heavily processed crap. Possibly more expensive, but worth it.
    Last edited by greyraven; 12-04-2010 at 06:29 PM.

I rarely drink, but when I do, I'll have one or two mixed drinks (one shot only). I've found that Crown and Coke or Captain Morgan and Pepsi doesn't bother me too badly. I love wine, but rieslings are too sweet. I always stay away from Smirnoff, Mike's Hards, and any other "girl" beer, because it gives me heartburn that I mistake for nausea.

Yes, my tastes in wine have "matured" I guess and I love the drier reds more than I used to. But, I love all wine, truth be told. If all they have is cheap, sweet Pink Catawba, I'll drink that too. But when I am in charge I'll get Cabs or ports.

I have found that I can drink Champagne but only Spumante and it actually helps my stomach if I feel sick or nervous. I am Emet very badly!!! I'm having an episode as I write this. I just took 2 ativan so I def won't be drinking today although I drank red wine earlier and I think that's wht made me ill now. I can drink a whole bottle of champagne and never get sick (V) but watch out for white and red wine! Also if you like beer there is one now made that is mostly water-it's BUD 55...never got sick on that either.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice!

have a weak drink e.g a alcopop or something... with food, drink it slowly, take your time and you will be absoloutly fine.
    and remember, you dont have to drink to have a good night out!

I'm not bragging or complaining but my life, family, career were ruined by 30 yrs. of alcoholism. I'm now abstinent 23 years and a credentialed alcoholism and substance abuse counselor working with women in recovery. We've had to learn how to socialize without the booze and quite frankily have found more fun with clean and sober friends than we ever dreamed possible. If you must be in the presence of those who drink, then quietly say,"Alcohol doesn't agree with my system." and have ginger ale, or if you don't like sweet soft drinks, have plain tonic water. Good friends understand. My female clients are proud of their sobriety and more attractive to the type of men who don't imbibe than those who drink- and sometimes drug. I realize this may sound severe now but in the long run you'll be a happier person. My work day is spent with trying to pick up the pieces of the lives of the saddest women who today wished they never started drinking, drugging and smoking in the first place.
    Last edited by Peter; 12-06-2010 at 08:45 PM.

I would say I'm a moderate-to-heavy drinker (3-5 glasses of wine or beers most days), and I have only come close to v*ing after a night of bourbon--it was the hangover, not the drinks themselves.

The biggest factor, hands-down, is water. Drink one glass of water for every alcoholic drink, and by the end of the night you may be pleasantly buzzed but not dizzy, not blacking out, and most likely not hungover the next day. Drinking can be great (not to undermine Peter's points--you do need to be careful!) but of relatively no concern to an emet.

Yeah, just be sensible about it and you will be fine
    It's not worth the anxiety for me, so I just don't. I still go to parties, bars and clubs though. I have never seen anybody be ill at one. It happens, but not a lot.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Whoa! Similar situation here! I am also 22 and I haven't had a sip of alcohol for 9 months because my (now ex) boyfriend was in a really bad car accident to do with drinking and we both quit. That being said I have thought about whether or not I will ever drink again or not, I still have not decided but either way, I would say just take it slow. No shots, or drinking too quickly. Make sure you drink lots of water before and have food in your stomach! I have heard if you drink milk before drinking it takes longer to get drunk because the milk is such a thick coating for your stomach that it doesn't absorb too quickly. If you start to get too drunk, slow down and drink some water! re learn your limits! hope that helps, Merry Christmas!

It's rare, I'll occasionally have one glass of wine. (In fact, I had one Xmas eve, and remembered the last glass was during cookie-baking for Xmas LAST year). Like most of you have said - it's not worth the anxiety.
    I still go out - I even have a part-time job doing promotions that lands me in a lot of bars. I always order straight redbull. I still get hyper and silly, but I know if I drink it too fast and give myself an attack, I can take a pill to make it go away without the averse results of alcohol + Meds.
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Never touched alcohol; for religious reasons and emet..

I am super emet BUT I will say there is such a thing as controlled drinking. Beer before liquor never sicker...liquor before beer, in the clear. THAT is my first advice. Second, I am a social drinker but have never been drunk. If you go out and want to have fun but not be someone you are not comfortable with then just pick a drink of choice and stick with that. Only have 2 drinks...even if you feel like "hmmm i feel warm and kind of different" that is not drunk or anything close to vomiting from drinking. I drink wine when at dinner and you will just know how much you like and want. You are not just all of the sudden going to be drunk and getting sick. 2-3 drinks are fine. Go out and have fun but no driving missy! You are in control of some things and not in control of others...THIS you can control. Drink responsibly