Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Talking

Default Talking

Last night, I had a long conversation with my boyfriend. It was difficult for me to even talk about what was going on in my head, but the more I spoke, the better I felt...
    Although, he still wasn't grasping the situation as I hoped he would, he listened, which made me feel safer. Granted, I still felt like a fool talking about how "crazy" I get with the whole v* thing. He brought up a very strong point of a recent experience that may have triggered my emetophobia to spin out of my control.
    We took a cross country trip a couple months back, flying to our destination, and we had to change planes many times. I had flown as a child before and never gotten the feeling of motion sickness. This plane trip though, gave me terrible motion sickness and I panicked (to myself) that I was going to v* but I couldn't get out of my seat during take off and I surely didn't want to have to use the complimentary bags provided for this exact reason. Fortunately, I found the amazing effects of Dramamine to work wonders for our trip back home. My boyfriend cites this as the most likely reason for the onset of anxiety within the past couple months. Especially since I never exhibited these behaviors before then. After some thought, I realized this is definitely the cause for my increased anxiety.
    Even though I still felt absolutely ridiculous trying to explain how I felt, it made me feel better, my bf was more sympathetic and offering solutions, and even helped me find me root cause.
    I wanted to share this because I feel the same about posting here.
    Thank you all...and love any and all advice.
    Ash

Default Re: Talking

I think being able to talk about your fears openly and without fear of judgment is extremely healing. Good for you!

i totally agree.........my panic attacks have dropped considerably since i explained this phobie to my husband......fyi ....a reminder.....one of our members is going to be on a show called strange phobias on dec. 10 on the discovery health channel.......watch it with your loved one.........i can't wait to see it.....what a brave soul she is
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OH! I just love that! I always watch shows about phobias that I have with ferocious intensity! And I have so many wierd ones that to see someone with my same ones is not common.

I can't wait to see it either. I told my therapist about it and I think he is going to watch it also.

I'm so going to watch it...and set my DVR to record it. I'll try and get him to watch it with me. I had a hard enough time talking to my boyfriend about it, and I tell him everything. Definitely brave to be on TV discussing this. Kudos to her!