Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Why does it seem to me that I'm the only one here that is scared of seeing/hearing OTHER people/animals/cartoons{etc.} being sick ? I don't know ... I'm not complaining really ... It's just everyone I talk to is scared of themselves being sick. Is there anyone else like me here ?

RaVeN [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Hi there....I have to say that no, you are not alone in feeling that way about others getting sick...I am just that way too... I fear others more than myself....it makes me so mad too...I almost wish I was dead rather than go through this hell on earth feeling this way 24/7....I am soooo angry that I am this big of a baby...I mean I am 38 yrs old...I have two sons...14 and 11...and they can and do handle sickness 100000000 times better than I do...It makes me feel like a complete idiot that I have to feel this way...but there is nothing i can do about it i guess.....i try and try to rationalize the fear...saying that "it" won't kill me....but then why would i rather be dead than be scared...so anyway yes I am just the same way as you are on the subject...and it sucks...hope that one day our silent pain will be over...i bet we won't be sick in heaven[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Kat

You are definitely not alone! I am way more afraid of others being sick than myself. When I first came here, I felt really alone, because I don't do many of the things some emets seem to do like washing my hands constantly or checking dates on food. I just get really, really terrified when I hear someone else doing it. I am afraid of being sick myself somewhat, but the fear of others being sick is so much worse.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

YAY!!! I HEART YOU GUYS !!!

Ya ... I'm kinda scared of myself being sick, but when push comes to shove, if I'm going to be sick, I can deal. Like, I've had a stomach flu in nov. and I had to go to the H. cuz I was dehydrated but I was more terrified of the other ppl in the E.R. then myself being as sick as I was.

RaVeN

I'm afraid ofall of itequally. (which is ALOT )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I would say the same exact thing as sweetfreak. I am terrified of others getting sick, but not really of myself being sick. I am a little scared of myself being sick, but not as much as I am of others being sick. I'm mostly afraid of the sound. It's just so gross.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm afraid of both but comparatively I am afraid of others being sick because then I have to worry about catching it. I get this feeling of helplessness, like I want to die, like I seriously can't handle it. It's a horrible feeling, and I want nothing more than to be able to be free from it. Aside from this phobia, I love my life, but this phobia drains every amount of joy from me possible. You're so not alone, there are so few here that ONLY fears themselves and not others, so don't think you're the only one.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I too am JUST afraid of others being sick. Over Christmas break, I caught a stomach bug and I dealt with it just fine, but the fear of my mom, dad, or boyfriend catching it from me consumed me for at least the next week afterwards. I totally understand where you are coming from.

I am afraid of seeing others becoming sick as well as myself. I feel bad for the person getting sick but I also want to get away from them as fast as possible!!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

You are not alone at all. I am 100 per cent terrified of being sick myself and 99.9 per cent scared of others, inlcuding animals. Cartoons I think don't bother me too much as they are so... er,cartoony. But I cannot watch cats or dogs v*. I have been know to run away at Olympic speeds from a heaving dog!

By the way, has anyone in the UK seen THAT sketch on 'Little Britain'? Can you watch it? Oddly enough, I can, because it'sSO obviously faked. And I even think it's funny. So I feel quite proud of myself for that tiny achievement!

I'm more scared of myself being sick than I am of seeing others, but I AM quite afraid of seeing others.

Hey Raven,

I was only afraid of seeing/hearing others do it too. I felt like a freak among freaks, even when I first came here!! Then slowly others with the same kind of phobia would show up...you're not alone. It's just another way to manifest the phobia. And the cure is a bit easier because it's easier to expose yourself slowly and safely to others doing it...you can begin with drawings of cartoons vomiting, then move on to people then to movies, etc...10-12 sessions with a qualified, caring therapist and you should be cured.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.