Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi, everyone!

I have been browsing this site for a few weeks now and finally got up enough courage to join. I was truly shocked to discover how common this phobia is. I am 25 years old and have struggled with it for many years now. I didn't even realize that there was a name for it until I read in a magazine that it was one of the top 5 phobias that people experience. I was amazed to read all of the posts that reflect the way that I feel.

I guess something that is really ironic about me having this phobia, is that I am a registered nurse. I thought that becoming a nurse may help me to overcome my phobia but I believe that it has made it worse. I was able to make it through nursing school without dealing with *v* mainly because I had a friend who had an eye phobia. I would take care of the patients who had an eye phobia and she would take care of the *v* patients. Fortunately we both got jobs at the same doctor's office after nursing school and we continued with our trade off. Now I have a case management job at the local health department, so I don't have to deal with sick patients face-to-face.

This phobia makes me feel like a horrible nurse. I can withstand any other medical problem except *v*. I have been in the operating room and witnessed surgeries that didn't bother me. Nothing else gets to me except *v*. I enjoy caring for people only if they're not *v*. I have had people say to me "How can you be a good nurse if you can't take someone *v*?"

Most people (my husband included) do not realize how serious this is. I actually have nightmares about people *v*. If I am around a child, I have this fear that they may *v* even if they aren't even sick. When I hear of a stomach virus going around, I start to worry and am afraid to eat anything. I avoid bathrooms that I know the sick people have been in at work. I avoid certain foods that may potentially cause food poisoning or *v*.

I guess one thing that really bothers me is that I am getting to the point where I would like to have a child. I am very scared of morning sickness. My grandmother had a condition to where she *v* the whole pregnancy with all 3 of her children. I'm afraid that I may inherit that. I also worry that I won't be able to handle my child *v* and that will make me a bad mother.

I am so glad that I have found this site and I feel relieved that I am not the only one who experiences this.

You are definately not alone! I have all the same issues you have, I consider myself to have a strong stomach and can watch surgeries, gross movies, etc. and it doesn't bother me, but someone v*ing will send me running. It's odd, but it's a fact. The only difference is that you were strong enough to become a nurse, which is so awesome! I took the least v* possible route, so I'm impressed that you went ahead with becoming a nurse. I'm not a mom but I'm sure you'll get lots of responses from moms who will tell you that pregnancy doesn't always mean sick! Welcome to the site, I hope you get the support you're looking for!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Welcome to the forum! You are not alone. As a professional, I assume that you must know a lot about prevention, medicine and nutrition. I think I speak for all of us here, when I say that we welcome your imput and suggestions!

This phobia is very common and anyone, from any walk of life can have it. I myself am a student of the fire services and a first responder. Yet I have never had a panic attack while fighting a fire or dealing with some other emergency. It'sa 'catch 22'.

I have the same feelings, in regards to emergencies. I am fine, unless a casualty is throwing up. I always question myself and my abilities in regards to the possiblity of a panic attack. How can I help other people if I'm too buzy obsessing about getting sick? Yet I have not thrown up in a long time, nor during an emergency.The irony is thick, isn't it?
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>