Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Perplexed....How do I handle this???

I am in the process of hiring a nanny ...and I do not know how to tell her about being an emet.....she needs to know because she must know not to bring illness into the house.....I have her interview today at 1pm......im very nervous. Any suggestions? I have only come up with...look Im psycho abt being sick.....the avg person has no clue this exsist...heck I have it and I didnt even know it exsisted......HELP!!

Default Re: Perplexed....How do I handle this???

You can maybe just try to explain it? I know that the downside of that is that you might feel vulnerable, and that she might still not understand the severeness of it, but maybe she will understand, or she has a family member who has it.

I recently explained it to my sister in law, whom i don't have a very good bond with, but to my surprise, she understood it really well (and from that moment on, made my weekends at her place a lot more fun for me)

Thank you Lieke.....MOST people just are clueless.....and dont understand.....one of the nannies I am interviewing does not speak very good english....so that should be interesting.... :-) Thanks again for your reply!

I would be honest and tell her you have a phobia of vomiting, not a dislike but an all out terror of it and i think putting it like that pretty much spells it out to her.

I don't think it's particularly reasonable to demand she "musn't bring illness in to the house" though as she may do so unknowingly, and what about your children? they could bring something home and give it to her! but I think it would be fair to say that if ever she has vomited that you would rather she stayed off work (paid of course) for 72 hours to be on the safe side - you just have to hope she doesn't abuse that though!

best to be honest up front with her though then you both knwo where you stand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you paulinek for your response....Oh I would never be so blunt as to say it like that (abt bringing the illness into the house) I will just make it clear......and I DO think being blunt is the way to go about my "problem". Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by slallen2009 View Post
    Thank you paulinek for your response....Oh I would never be so blunt as to say it like that (abt bringing the illness into the house) I will just make it clear......and I DO think being blunt is the way to go about my "problem". Thanks again!
    I just had visions of you saying "so, it's a 35 hours week, 4 weeks holidays, you must have experience lookign after children oh and don't you DARE ever ever step over my threshold carrying germs or else!!" lol, seriously though I absolutely agree, there's no point beating about the bush, you are best just saying it as it is and you will be able to tell by her reaction whether she is going to be sympathetic to your emet or not. Good luck with the interview!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OR...I could answer the door in a bio-hazard suit to break the ice...and the subject......LOL Freak her out from the get go......Hahaha ......

OR...I could answer the door in a bio-hazard suit to break the ice...and the subject......LOL Freak her out from the get go......Hahaha ......

Lol,

Bahahaha! I love that.

I usually tell people that I'm a total germophobe and if they are ill they need to stay home.
    Elizabeth

yeah...germaphobe seems to go over better than the whole Id rather take a bullet than throw up.....that tends to freak people out.....LOL

yeah...germaphobe seems to go over better than the whole Id rather take a bullet than throw up.....that tends to freak people out.....LOL

True! Everyone at work thinks i'm a germophobe due to me dettol spraying my reception desk and sitchboard etc down every morning after the security man goes home, and having a pump spray of sanitiser next to the signing in book lol - if only they knew, swine flu?, bird flu?, SARS?, colds?, tonsilitis? pfff! not bothered in the slightest, sick bug? - aaargh!

I think you should just calmly tell her what you have, and let her know about not letting illness into the house not only because you're scared but because you want to keep your kids from it as well. She might understand, you never know

hope the interview went well......these responses gave me a good laugh.....thanks
    how i feel about emet

Paulinek.....Oh girl let me tell you...one time in one of my crazy moments I was actually trying to make a deal with God....I was saying..God, you can take a hand if you can promise me that I would never V*.....yeah I know....that makes complete sense right? Oh the deals I make when its noro time....lol and btw I told the girl..(perspective nanny)..and she just kind of looked at me like yeah I know no one likes to V*....and I was like NO you dont quite understand sister....I have made deals with God and in exchange of my body parts so as not to ever throw up.....LMAO.......She was like oh thats cool.....I wont come if Im sick.....SOOO can I smoke while I am here? I was like....uggg yeah smoke....(she was clueless) but I like her cause she smokes so I hired her.....lol Oh and BTW...this is not for MY child...the is my GRANDchild.....my daughter lives with me.....and check this out...gets FREE daycare....BUT he (Gavin) has to go to a daycare with other kids...well you know THAT would NEVER happen while they live here....SOOOOO I am paying for a nanny out of my own money so I wont get exposed.....how jacked up is that? @ Nat.....it all went well......thanks for your response......and Olschesky.....Im glad you laughed you need to sugar...your gonna make it.....dont give up....HUGS!!!!

LOLOL! You'll be fine girl! You don't even have to be that personal at first. Just inform the nannies about the general importance of good hygiene.

Don't forget your bio-hazard suit, though...
    Finally understood that winter really is wonderful...

Thanks everyone for responding.....HUGS!!