Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default places in us hit by noro least

are there anyplaces in the us that noro hits the least or for the shortest period of time?the news and internet makes it seem like it everywhere and that its an epidemic that every indvivdual on earth is going to catch! never knew it was sooooo prevelent like that untill the media said it!and now i feel ts lurking n every corner!i hate the news sometimes!so do u guys know of any places in the us that noro doesnt visit as often?

Default Re: places in us hit by noro least

Maybe tropical climates..(Florida....etc)....I have no clue....

The warmer climates keep it down since everyone is not all inside huddled together like winter time. But, I grew up in Jacksonville, FL my whole life and caught it almost every winter. Then I moved to Virginia two years ago and haven't caught it yet (knock on wood, lol). Unfortunately I think it is everywhere, but please don't let the news cause you to have a panic attack, they are always overly dramatic about things.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Well im in Ga and my daughter started v** 2 hours ago.

wow u got hit every year kelly!how did u survive that!did u v* everytime u caught it?i would relocate to a hotter climate if i knew i had a better chance of avoiding it.

grrlga30,u made my night that much worse with that comment.

Im sorry, i really scared here, i dont know how im going to get through it

Quote Originally Posted by grrlga30 View Post
    Well im in Ga and my daughter started v** 2 hours ago.
    Same here, Ohio, 2 hours ago, but it is my son

Oh yeah, scared here too, hubby is home and on the job but he probably needs to go to work tomorrow.

Mama how r u handling it? i feel sick now, and like crying

Shaking a lot. So glad my husband is home, he understands. I can be strong for short periods of time to comfort my son and see what he needs, but I do need breaks from him. Also tired, my panic attacks always make me very sleepy and I usually wake up better. Too busy of a week for this. Most of my experience is with my younger son, his is chronic and not a virus. My biggest concern is not being in control, so I control the situation as best I can. Have an appointment on Friday to talk to my doc about meds to help me, I guess it is a week too late! The panic started last week though, when my local news make noro one of their top news stories!

Where do you live? Many of my friends have had it over the past month, seems to be starting early this year.

Nortthwest Ohio

Well i guess its everywhere...i wonder why it does this in the winter...i wish i could relax like a normal person. My husband already went to bed with my 3 month old son, and she is sleeping now, and i cant even thiink about laying down!!

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyn View Post
    wow u got hit every year kelly!how did u survive that!did u v* everytime u caught it?i would relocate to a hotter climate if i knew i had a better chance of avoiding it.
    I honestly don't know how I survived, lol. It came on so suddenly you don't really have time to think about it. You just get nausea and then v*. Everytime I v* it was just green bile and dry heaving so it was really painful. Also, I only threw up once. I think the most I ever threw up was twice. I caught something this year in March where I had a lot of d* and severe nausea but I never threw up so I'm thinking it wasn't Noro, but it could have been, some people just get d*, lucky!
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

i don't think there is anywhere on earth that gets it less because of the amount of travelling people do nowadays, but there are two things to bear in mind here:

1 - Before the internet and 24 hour news channels with time to fill, you would never have heard a dicky bird about stomach viruses unless people in your immediate community or family was ill with it.

2 - Don't take statistics at face value - for example in Britain every winter (i'm waiting for it any day now) guaranteed one morning i'll turn on breakfast telly and they'll be declaring 1 million people are going to get struck down by norovirus as if we're all going to die, but in reality there are about 62 million people in the population meaning 61 million AREN'T going to get it!! But that doesn't make such a good headline grabber does it?! So, based on their figures, statistically 1 in every 62 people will get it, but that is based on the general population of soap-dodgers and will include kids who aren't so good at washing their hands, so bearing in mind most of us emets are diligent handwashers our odds are probably way way lower!

I put it into perspective by looking at where i work where there are about 100 people - based on worst case scenario statistics that means 1, possibly 2 people in the entire place will get it in any given winter - not such an "epidemic "when you look at it like that is it?
    Last edited by paulinek; 12-07-2010 at 05:48 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek View Post
    i don't think there is anywhere on earth that gets it less because of the amount of travelling people do nowadays, but there are two things to bear in mind here:

1 - Before the internet and 24 hour news channels with time to fill, you would never have heard a dicky bird about stomach viruses unless people in your immediate community or family was ill with it.

2 - Don't take statistics at face value - for example in Britain every winter (i'm waiting for it any day now) guaranteed one morning i'll turn on breakfast telly and they'll be declaring 1 million people are going to get struck down by norovirus as if we're all going to die, but in reality there are about 62 million people in the population meaning 61 million AREN'T going to get it!! But that doesn't make such a good headline grabber does it?! So, based on their figures, statistically 1 in every 62 people will get it, but that is based on the general population of soap-dodgers and will include kids who aren't so good at washing their hands, so bearing in mind most of us emets are diligent handwashers our odds are probably way way lower!

I put it into perspective by looking at where i work where there are about 100 people - based on worst case scenario statistics that means 1, possibly 2 people in the entire place will get it in any given winter - not such an "epidemic "when you look at it like that is it?

i never really looked at it like that.and your right 62 million is alot of people.lol.i know its just so heard that i never really heard of it that often except on the news.i guess all i can do now is wait for the life saving vaccine and keep zofran on hand at all times.

Does zofran work for the stomach virus??
    I cant wait for the vaccine, i cant do another night like last night!!! im a nervous wreck!!

Mama, I am northeast ohio and it was going around like crazy over here. I had it, and honestly I am glad I did because it relieved a little anxiety knowing I couldn't get it again this year.

i live n cleveland ohio as well.my family had it last month everyone except my dad and me.ive bee a nervous wreck since.i had to be hospitalized t was so bad.how did u deal with having it?did you v*i have zofran in case ever get it.but immunity only last about 3 months i think so u can get it agin this year so be careful

Yeah i knew your were only immune for about 14 weeks, but luckily down here in the South it seems to clear out by March, so that would make us safe! Thank goodness!! So you didnt get it last time? I can not wait for that Vaccine, i feel like this gets worse every year, and its ruining holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by grrlga30 View Post
    Yeah i knew your were only immune for about 14 weeks, but luckily down here in the South it seems to clear out by March, so that would make us safe! Thank goodness!! So you didnt get it last time? I can not wait for that Vaccine, i feel like this gets worse every year, and its ruining holidays.
    yeah march s the tme it cleatrs up for us too.i just dont know how to deal untill march.hopefully not by suicide

I live in Cleveland too ashlyn. I thought once you had immunity to a strain it was for life? But each year is a different strain going around? I did v* for twenty four hours when I had it. I don't have any prescriptions though. It was awful so I wish I had!

omgee 24 hour!i would rather die!my mom only vomited once.my older brother only twice.i wonder y some v* alot and other dont.that is so scary to me.this makes me really anxious.what if the zofran doesnt work scares me evenmore.are u a person that is more prone to v*?was it every 15 mins for 24 hours or was it like once an hour?how did u cope?

Ya it was once an hour. The next day it stopped for a few hours and then started again. I am not afraid of myself v*, just other people. But this made my emet a lot worse. I am not really prone to v*. The last time I had a sv was when I was a little kid.

The media tends to make things seem worse than they are. I only know one person who has had it this year and it's a 3 year old girl. I'm in Ohio.

None of my close friends have had a stomach virus in years actually.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Also, there is no place "warm enough" to keep Noro away. Noro can survive outside the body in temperatures up to 140 degrees F/60 C (hawaii.gov/health/environmental/sanitation/.../norovirus.pdf) I wouldn't want to move to someplace that warm even to avoid noro!

Doesn't matter. Only places with no noro is a place with no people. People seem to be associating noro with cold and forget that these things break out on Caribbean cruise liners all the time.

Gah I've just heard it on the news.

In Liverpool, a school's had to close after a 1/4 of students fell ill with Noro. F***ing brilliant.

Where is Liverpool? I hear about it on the news, but it seems not to be as bad down south.

Given how heavily represented British people are on this forum and the anecdotes I read, noro must hit England particularly hard.