Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: I am afraid.

Okay. In Language Arts class today, a girl that I sit across from was actually making JOKES about the "stomach flu" yesterday and today. She is all like today, "I have the stomach flu" and the person next to her, that happens to be her friend was scooting away from her and then the girl started laughing. She thinks that it is funny when people get gastroenteritis! I hope she was not serious that she had a virus.... she did not seem serious. I do not know how anyone could find stomach viruses to be funny. =\

Why are some people like this? They think that vomiting is funny! And they think that they can just go talking about this kind of stuff without thinkingsomeone might be disturbed by it.

Should I get a seat change?

She annoys me in other ways too. But I seriously do not want to sit near someone that is going to joke about vomiting and illness. Even if she is non-emet, there is no reason to like vomiting. I wanted to change seats at the beginning of the year but I have never gotten around to asking the teacher. I think the teacher would understand because I think that a lot of people are annoyed by her. But it would be stupid to change seats just because she jokes about vomit and stuff and I am an emetophobic.

Now I am afraid that she was serious or something. She was laughing and joking around (acting normal, for her) and did not seem sick. But I do not know. I am sorry if this post was boring and stupid.

Lizzy

Some people are just ignorant and have nothing else important to talk about. Try and ignore her; don't pay attention when she says something, don't egg her on, she should get the message. I agree it's stupid to joke about it, but people do it.... [img]smileys/smilies_40.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

If she didn't really seem sick, she was probably just
    being silly. I don't think you have anything to worry about when it
    comes to her saying it again. It was probably just a one-time, random
    thought that popped into her head. I mean, like you said, what's funny
    about the stomach flu? It doesn't exactly have the lasting power to be
    a classic joke.[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I really think you should just ignore her - don't give her any reason
    to think it's funnier than she already does. If you act like her joking
    scares you, she'll think that's hilarious and keep doing it. But if she
    keeps this up, soon everyone is just going to be like, "Uh, why is this
    chick always talking about being sick? That's stupid." Then she'll have
    to stop it unless she wants everyone to think she's just lame.

I'm no expert, but I do teach middle school, and generally when someone
    tries to repeat the same dumb joke again and again, it gets old pretty
    fast. Some of you guys (not all) have REALLY short attention spans.

Oh - PS - If you do decide you've gotta switch seats, be open with your
    teacher about it. If you told me the real situation, I'd change your
    seat immediately, but if you just said, "she annoys me and i want to
    change seats," I'd just tell you to deal with it. Good luck, sweetie!
    Keep us posted.

</font>

Well you have to think about this for a second. What if you're talking about spiders and someone in the room is deathly afriad of spiders. It's the same type of situation. 99.9% of the population probably has never heard of emet.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

maybe she was saying she had the stomach flu because she was planning on bunking off? i know alot of people that skip work or school, and say something like that the day before so that no questions are asked about why they are off. I wouldnt worry about catching it.

A girl that used to hang around with my boyfreinds old mates was obsessed with v*. She used to make herself sick for fun, She said the feeling of loss of control whilst V* turned her on! Her teeth were all rotten so you can tell she V* alot. She wasnt bulimic or anything, she did it for fun. Now thats freaky, i feel so sorry for any boyfreind she might have if thats what she has to do to get turned on!

Your post is not boring or stupid. You are very sensitive to things like this, as a lot of us are. I would suggest just shrugging it off, and ignoring this person. It sounds as if she was joking around. It's not nice to joke aboutgetting sick, especialy about a nasty virus.
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

Don't you love people. I don't think she's actually sick. If she was she probably wouldn't even be there or she would feel too ill to act stupid. Like r311dude said most people dont' consider getting sick a major event or anything to be fearful of so she probably just didn't think. I dont' think you should move seats just because of this, if she bothers you in other ways too and makes it so you can't learn then yes ask for a seat change. Good luck!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Um... okay. Of course, she did not have anything. But I was also concerned because the day before the day that she was joking that she had it, she said that someone she knew had a virus (maybe her brother) and even if she did not have it herself, she could still pass it on if she was exposed to it. I am not sure if she is a person that cares about washing her hands a lot (most people at my school do not wash their hands, even before eating). Um.. I do not know why I even got afraid a little bit by that.

Also, the thing about the "changing seats", I just asked about that because I am a shy person and I cannot even go up to a teacher and ask if I could change seats. I wanted to make sure this was not a stupid reason. But I decided not to change seats. Hopefully, she will not make any more vomit/virus jokes anymore. In the past, she has talked about vomit for no reason. It was not a big deal. I just got anxious about it because she said that she had a virus (even though she was making a very stupid joke). I think she just wants to disgust people when she talks about vomiting and stuff like that. I am alsosurprised that she says those things like she does not think vomit is uncomfortable or unpleasant at all. She must, but it does not seem like it.

Oh well.

Lizzy

I find it to be a very bad thing that most people do not even know that some people are afraid of vomit. They just talk outloud about vomit without thinking someone might be anxious about them talking about it. But, the weird thing is, on this book of lists for kids I have, it says that vomiting is one of the most common fears! That is kind of weird that it says it is a common fear, but most people seem to have no problem with vomiting.

Lizzy