Quote Originally Posted by leeannc28 View Post
I was thinking about moving out to NYC in a few months, but stopped and wondered if I should because of the phobia. I really, really want to go to school there, but it would be stressful running around and doing so much on my own (never lived by myself before) and what if I relapsed?
If you are making decisions based on it, and the fear of relapsing, then yes, I would get treatment. You should only have to make decisions based on what is best for you, not to avoid an irrational fear. Where to move is a big decision, don't let the phobia make the decision for you. (I'm not saying that you need to move to NYC, but that you make the decision based on what you personally want to do, not out of fear.)

Self-help or therapist, I've done both, had success with both. I did self help, then therapist, and then more self-help. The self-help seems to be more effective post-therapy than pre-therapy because of some of the things that I learned while in therapy, but they are both good methods. In the end, with either method, it comes down to how much work you put into it.