Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Should Mild Emet Consider Therapy?

Ive been considering going to a therapist and getting put through a program to overcome my emet permanently, but I wonder if it's a necessity for someone who doesn't have severe emetophobia.

My phobia only bothers me when I eat sometimes, go places, and have panic attacks/feel sick. Generally it doesn't actually stop me from doing anything most days, it just makes me nervous and frustrates me. Im obsessive but not entirely avoidant of the things that make me afraid. 80% of the time I'm okay and can handle myself. My only concern is when I relapse, or an extreme relapse if I actually v* some day (meaning I go back to being full blown agoraphobic, germaphobic, cant eat hardly anything or go out ever)

Ive been thinking that improving my diet, sleep habits, and exercise & getting the eraser program everyone's talking about is more practical then a therapist. I want emotional support [from someone who gets whats going on, not fake sympathy] and I want this to be over for good, but if a therapist is going to tell me to expose myself to v* and panic situations and just hold my hand--I can do that on my own. In a way I feel like I should do it on my own.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Default Re: Should Mild Emet Consider Therapy?

If it is bothering you enough then yes, you should go. I look at this way, if you get a cut on your finger then you probably don't need to go to the doctor. But if you don't take care of that cut, wash it, clean it, ect, then one of two things will happen. Either it heals over just fine or it could get infected and get worse and worse. By the end of it, you may need to go to the doctor for that cut and it would be a more serious visit than if you had just gone in for a cut on your finger. My emet used to be pretty mild, I went through most days not thinking about it. Then, due to a medication, it suddenly got much worse to the point where I stopped eating for 3 months. (well, I ate 1 granola bar a day, that isn't really eating) I can't shake the feeling that if I had just gotten help before, this phobia would be a thing of the past and I wouldn't be here right now.

As far as treatment options, you can always try out a therapist, set up one session just to see if therapy is the route that you want to take. Even if you decide that it isn't the thing for you, they should be knowledgeable about forms of self-treatment. Just tell them that you are trying to decide what option is best for you. Most should understand that treatment with a therapist is too expensive for some people, or just not the right option for them. They might know a specific self-help program that has been effective for other patients. They might even be able to give you some of that info over the phone.

You have a point. *nods*
    I was thinking about moving out to NYC in a few months, but stopped and wondered if I should because of the phobia. I really, really want to go to school there, but it would be stressful running around and doing so much on my own (never lived by myself before) and what if I relapsed? But then I thought maybe doing so would be enough of a challenge that it would help me beat my phobia. Since avoiding these sort of things is what feeds the phobia, then going would help me get better, right? I figured maybe just getting on with my life and not avoiding the challenges would basically be what a therapist would tell me to do anyway, so why should I pay someone to reassure me to take the leap?

Maybe Im just being too prideful. I feel like Im running away if I go to a therapist, or have to have someone tell me what to do since the answer seems so obvious. "Face your fears. I'll hold your hand while you do it." Though I gotta say having the support would be great...but there is something about taking that sort of help feels like taking a step backwards. Not living on my own, not making my own decisions I think plays into the phobia in a way. I would think part of the phobia is fed by a lack of confidence in my ability to handle myself when I get sick or panicked. In that case wouldn't the best thing be to go it alone?

I think I'll go and talk to a general therapist to help me see what the best action to take. I just...I just feel so restless. I want to get on with my life!

Leann, at first I felt going to a therapist was just admitting I had an issue, and giving into the fear. I know exactly what you mean.

Going is a wonderful thing Let us know how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by leeannc28 View Post
    I was thinking about moving out to NYC in a few months, but stopped and wondered if I should because of the phobia. I really, really want to go to school there, but it would be stressful running around and doing so much on my own (never lived by myself before) and what if I relapsed?
    If you are making decisions based on it, and the fear of relapsing, then yes, I would get treatment. You should only have to make decisions based on what is best for you, not to avoid an irrational fear. Where to move is a big decision, don't let the phobia make the decision for you. (I'm not saying that you need to move to NYC, but that you make the decision based on what you personally want to do, not out of fear.)

Self-help or therapist, I've done both, had success with both. I did self help, then therapist, and then more self-help. The self-help seems to be more effective post-therapy than pre-therapy because of some of the things that I learned while in therapy, but they are both good methods. In the end, with either method, it comes down to how much work you put into it.

Your right, I need to stop making major decisions based on this. I think because of money issues I will go the self help route first and then a therapist. It would be nice just to talk to a therapist and gain some perspective on this though. I have other anxieties as well, so maybe emetophobia might not be the only thing to be treated. I dont know. Gotta ask someone. Maybe I should wait until after december? The holidays are so busy...

At any rate I can start my search now. Books, DVDs, and therapists. Thanks for your input.

Therapy can be a brilliant thing and working on your other issues may well reduce the chances of any relapses. Sometimes just having that bit of time to talk to someone neutral can make everthing seem that bit easier x

i see all sides of this issue and agree with them all......just do what feels right at the time. i'm wondering though if doing therapy while you're in such a good place could possible just eradicate the phobia instead of waiting to see if a relapse happens and starting from square one........just a thought.

i would love to live in nyc.....love the subways and all the people......so much going on there that i've never had any phobic issues when i visit. i'd live there is i was young.....i'm 59 now........soooo much fun

good luck.....sounds like you are in a really nice place
    how i feel about emet

I would`nt consider having therapy, although I could get it free in this country. I don`t think my emet is anywhere bad enough for that, as it does`nt stop me from doing what I want , & it would take ages & there`s no guarantee of sucess.

I would consider therapy, because its better to get rid of it now before it gets worse for you, you dont want to suffer more.

I've asked someone in the family to help me look for a therapist. That was before christmas and still no word from them. I figured they'd have connections but I think I'm on my own.

I think at least talking to a therapist is a good idea. They'd have a good idea on what to do first and who to go to better then I would.

Im frustrated with the whole situation. But I'll figure something out.

In my opinion, nip it in the bud before it does (maybe) become a more serious issue.
    Do you have an anxiety clinic where you live? That would be a good place to start.

NIP IT IN THE BUUUUUDDD!!!
    I've had emet since I was 3 or 4 (now 18), and I didn't even know exactly what was wrong with me until I was 13. And by that point, the phobia "knew" exactly how to invade my brain and control my life. D:

I agree. Getting it done as soon as possible is a good idea. :3