Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
    mastel07 Guest

Exclamation Living with someone who's ill

Hey I'm new to this site, and so pleased there is such a great support system here. Utterly amazed that there is finally somewhere to go where people understand!

I really need some advice, or support, or anything. I'm 15 and have Emetophobia, and I live with my mum who has chronic chrohns disease. This makes her sick alot, all the time everyday. My phobias got worse and worse over the years of living with her being sick and having to look after her (and clean up) I can't stand it anymore. Everytime she coughs I go ice cold and panic. She's sick nearly everytime she eats and I just don't know what to do anymore, I'm trying to move out when I'm 16 but how can I deal with this until then? I feel constantly on edge and anxious and when she is sick I just have a melt down. I'm terryfied of my dad not being in when she's sick and I'll have to clean it up. What should I do? It's like someone with a phobia of heights having to live on the top of the eiffel tower.

Does anyone find it difficult being somewhere where someone could have been sick? Like sitting in a chair that someone might have vomited on? Because that's what I feel like in my whole house and car etc does anyone feel the same way?

Default Re: Living with someone who's ill

That sounds pretty rough. Perhaps you can sit down and talk with your mom about it sometime when she's feeling ok? You're a kid and she's the mom. It's not supposed to be the other way around.

That being said, don't forget that you're not in any danger. While vomit's not nice and it's not nice to have to clean it up nevertheless it's nothing to be afraid of.

Hope this helps
    Take care,
    Sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If your mum is being sick that much, she should be going to hospital! Her meds need changing, and she may have something serious, like narrowing/strictures, going on in her bowels. I know that's not exactly what you're asking, but please try and get your mum to get some treatment. (by the way I have Crohn's disease too)

sorry you are in such a tough situation. it does sound like maybe your mom needs different meds. my friend has bad crohns but now it's under control pretty much.

i know i wouldn't want to be around it constantly BUT my saving grace would be knowing that it's not contagious.......

i think you should try and talk to your mom about your phobia........sounds like way too much responsibility for a 15 year old......

hope you get some relief
    how i feel about emet