Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
    Piggie Guest

Red face Hello, I'm Emetophobic.

Hi! I'm brand new! I'm 17, and I actually didn't realize I had this phobia until I was watching an episode of "My Strange Phobia" yesterday, and someone with this phobia was on. Then it finally hit me, I had so many similar symptoms. For some reason, I thought everyone was as afraid of throwing up as I am . But I am so thankful that it's not as bad as some people's, and has continued to very slowly get better over the years. I found this forum yesterday, and decided not to join because I felt like it wouldn't really help, and I don't normally worry about it until I'm around it. But then my fiance' got sick tonight, and he is away in another state, but I found myself sweating, and only thinking about that, and nothing else. And wondering if he is still going to be contagious when he comes home in a week. I realized I really do have a problem, and having others who understand might help. For me I think it started when I was 7, having a stomach bug, and all I can remember was how awful all of it felt. And ever since then I've been panic stricken every time I'm around anything that has to do with throwing up. I start worrying every time someone has a stomach ache, I refuse to ride roller coasters, or go on boats. And I even have anxiety attacks when I see someone get sick on tv. A "friend" when I was 11 even played a joke on me, and pretended to throw up in the bathroom after we were sharing a drink because she knew I'd have a meltdown. In the future I want to be able to take care of my husband, and our children if they are sick, but as of right now I'd run and cry and shut my ears. And of course I don't want that, this is my first step to recovery. In the last 10 years, I've done everything in my power to not get sick, and my rational brain says it's not that bad, and to not get all worked up about it...but my fear always overwhelms it.

Default Re: Hello, I'm Emetophobic.

hi/1 im 23 and always had an extreme reaction to someone being s* my first childhood memory is running away from my sister when she was s* in public and i hid behind a pub wall. obviously there are different degrees of how severe the phobia can be in one person to the other. i think the same as you though, that i know i am having the irrational thoughts, but for me i just cant imagine life without it. not being scared of s* is a scary thought! have you thought about going to the docs and saying you want help to deal with this? there are a few options. i know the main one people choose is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. i had hypnotherapy which bought it under some control. just focus on the things that you want for your life without emet holding you back i hope your ok xx

welcome to the forum......the girl from the strange phobias show is a member here on the forum.....we are so proud of her and glad that seeing it helped you find us

it's such a comfort to have a place to come and talk about our "weirdness" and know that everyone understands........

we're always here if you need us
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am 60 and an emetophobe. My sister found this site for me. I have been afraid of n and v all my life. I have been through all the therapy one could have and still no help. My doctor is very sympathetic and has kept me prescribed with Compazine and Zofran so that I would not v. I do go on cruises and use a patch and keep with the Compazine and Zofran. These are medications that they give cancer patients when they are on chemo. I am very happy to have found that I am not alone in this and I have a place to go to talk with others about emet.

Welcome to the forum! xoxo

I'm 12 and I have the same reaction.
    Someone just mentions that they were s* and I fear being near them. When someone is s* if cover my ears. close my eyes and cry as I try to get as far away as I can. I've been living with this my whole life and fear I'll be living with it for the rest of my life. I can't do anything. I cant go to partys. I fear going to school. I cant whatch a movie with someone whatching it before me. I am afraid of going on public transportation. I can't have kids.... The list is endless it seems.
    And I'm scared.

All the time.