Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: why do emets let themselves V

I just simply never knew you could prevent it...
    Pfffft!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm of the opinion that if it's going to happen, then it's going to happen. And if it NEEDS to happen, then it'll happen. I know some people will disagree though.

kentucklivin, I know it sounds a bit strange to many people, I feel better if I know what made someone v. do you know why you did it on Wednesday. I know if I felt sick, it would be slightly less scary if I knew what was causing it.

I understand what some of you are talking about vting being important, & I didn`t mean any insult to anyone who recently vted, but there are people like me who have`nt done it in years, & have come to no harm, & then there`s people who`ve had fundoplication surgery. these people can never v again.

I didn't throw up for 12 years and then got the stomach flu. There was no stopping it. All the deep breathing in the world wouldn't have stopped this lol
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Lol. Yeah, I'm TERRIBLE with my phobia. Trust me, hairyfairy...I DO prevent it like you do. I TRY to anyway. But in the end, if my body is going to do it, it's going to do it. I can't stop it. I don't know why. I just can't. But I do fight it to the bitter end. I just can't stop it sometimes. I did go thru about 4 years v*-free. If I feel THAT nauseous, though, afterwards, I almost feel relieved. I mean, after it's done, I always think, "That REALLY wasn't so bad..." :-P
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i know you dont have to actually vomit when you get a virus, and i have fought off many in the past 10 years without v*. but recentley i did EVERYTHING in my willpower! and whatever people said bout slowing your breathing down and doing this and doing that to stop it is false. becasue i can tell you, i was trying my hardest and every trick in the book. i have a very high threshold for n* and i retched twice before it happened. and in the end i had no choice. and when it happened again i had no choice. 4 times! the actual part of doing it wasnt so much hard, the fact i lost all control over my body and i could no longer rely on my willpower anymore. i went to hospital to get some anti emetics and they gave me the best-zofran. it takes 25 minutes for the body to absorb tablets. an hour after i took the zofran i felt n* and could tell i had to go again. this was after taking a zofran! the doctor noticed how bad i was, i was hyperventilatting and was a mess, he told me zofran is the best anti emetic you can get in the world. and i honest to god thought for 10 years that we can absolutley fight it and not do it cause i had fought so many times. but i think now that its a necessary and very important refelx of the body that we may not survive without. so i do think that at some stage or another if it happens, it is impossible to mentally stop. and it wasnt that bad. oh and horses get extremley bad collic which can be deadly cause whatever is upsetting their stomach..they cant get out. (if reincarnation exists, im coming back as a horse btw )
    Last edited by emmalinda; 01-06-2011 at 06:44 AM.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    kentucklivin, I know it sounds a bit strange to many people, I feel better if I know what made someone v. do you know why you did it on Wednesday. I know if I felt sick, it would be slightly less scary if I knew what was causing it.

It was one of three things... but honestly, I don't know.

Either I had the bug that had been going through my family and just had an extremely, extremely mild case (the other four people who got it all had multiple episodes of v* and horrible d*)... I had one v* episode and no d* until about three days after I was sick (which makes me wonder if maybe I caught the virus later... because honestly that d* on Saturday felt more virusy than the sick episode)

OR...

I was suffering from withdrawal symptoms from not taking my topomax for five days

Which when I thought about it at first didn't really sound like it should be the case... but the more I think about it, I have been on this medication for SEVEN years and the longest I'd ever gone was maybe 2 days. The instructions for the medication clearly state that quitting cold turkey can cause dangerous side effects (this medication is also used for epilepsy and can cause seizures if dropped without weaning!) and frankly, if my v* was a cause of withdrawal and not the bug, I'm lucky that's all I got! I had been suffering from vertigo all day long and had woken up that morning (hours before v*) shaking and in a cold sweat... which I'd forgotten since then.

OR...

It's possible that I had a small combination of both. That the bug which perhaps would not have made me quiet so nauseous, made me more nauseous because my body was already suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

Who knows.

I did ask my mom the other day how she felt before she got sick and she said she felt sick for a few hours (which I knew because I was here...) but it was like an stomach achy nauseous feeling. I didn't really have that either. Mine just hit like these huge waves of dizzy nausea that just overcame my body.

But yes, I totally agree, I would much rather know exactly WHY someone is sick.
    I still get really bothered though when my brother gets sick from drinking too much
    Last edited by KentuckyLivin'; 01-06-2011 at 09:51 PM.

I`m still not convinced that we need to v , & I still believe that the body often does it just because it can, I mean, people are sick for the most trivial of reasons, sometimes for no reasson at all. I know this because it happened to me several times as a kid. I know that I can stop myself from vting, because I always win against my body when I`m really determined after all my body is my property, not my boss. Even in the unlikely event of my eating something that was bad for me, I would rather take my chances with it than let myself v.

I`m still not convinced that we need to v , & I still believe that the body often does it just because it can.
    I know what you mean. Like people v* from smell, emotions etc. Not sure what to think about that either. It's obviously not physically necessary, but it does happen with the v* prone people.

If your body really, truly NEEDS to vomit, it will do it. And it will never make you do it for no reason. If you're vomiting, there's always a reason. Sure, it might not be a reason that YOU understand, but there's a reason. Even if an episode of vomiting seems random, there's a reason for it.

I stop myself from v**, not all the time it works though and sometimes the gagging just gets so bad that I let it out.

V'ing from smell is because the body interprets it as being from bad food, and it triggers the v reflex in case you ate the bad food. As for emotions, stress can shut down the digestive system so the body ejects the food (you wouldn't shut a supermarket with customers still inside would you?). And crying can trigger the gag reflex too (mucus in the throat I think).

i believed EXACTELY that. there was no need to v* becasue you can stop it with plenty of willpower and mental strength. and i was also very stubborn. i just plainley wasnt gonna do it. its not until you actually do it where you realise, wow..so it can happen wether i 'think' i can stop it or not. like i said before. a zofran couldnt stop my body from doing it! it was doin i wether i like it or not. cancer patients are on tonnnes of anti emetics and still end up v* one stage or another.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

For me it's never been a matter of not wanting to stop it from happening, I just knew that all the drugs in the world weren't going to help me. If I had something that needed to come out, it was going to come out no matter what. I would sit there and tell myself that I could make myself less nausea's if only I tried hard enough (yeah, not gonna happen!) but in the end, it happened. I would hate every moment of it but unlike with some other fears, I can't just avoid feeling sick.
    It's weird though, because even though I tried so hard to keep whatever it was that wanted to come out inside of me, after wards I felt a whole lot better.

I`m pretty sure that I`m now so experienced at fighting nausea that I could stop myself vting no matter how much my body wanted to do it. I don`t think that emets vting is letting the side down, but I do feel that I would be letting myself down if I let myself v. I see my body as just a dumb piece of meat, not a thinking, feeling entity, & it`s vital to my self-esteem to be able to keep it under control.

I`m pretty sure that I`m now so experienced at fighting nausea that I could stop myself vting no matter how much my body wanted to do it. I don`t think that emets vting is letting the side down, but I do feel that I would be letting myself down if I let myself v. I see my body as just a dumb piece of meat, not a thinking, feeling entity, & it`s vital to my self-esteem to be able to keep it under control.
    I could so never say that for fear of jinxing myself. I know...silly.

I never LET myself. But if it happens... It happens... Only has when I got the stomach bug, but i've prevented it from Food Poisening and I still got better. I ate bad bacon and was HORRIBLY sick for so long. But everytime i've prevented myself from puking and still was fine in the long run

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. For some reason this thread caught my eye. It has been 31 years since I have v. I don't get the feeling very often but when I do I am somehow able to talk myself into moving it down to my intestines and come out the other way. I have had several major surgeries and one baby and didn't v. Did not have one day of morning sickness. I was forced to be with my daughter when she would v because my husband was working and I made it through that but would get severe diarriah whenever she would v. She is now 17 and hadn't v in 8 years until a couple of months ago and that was due to experimenting with alcohol. So I'm thinking we must just have strong stomachs cause she doesn't know about my phobia. By the way I am 51 and have had this phobia since I was 15.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree that some people just have strong stomachs. I don't get sick from anything it seems, and the twice I have vomited, it's been from some freak one time thing, and I don't know what it was.

It may be true that many people can`t control their v reflexes as well as some, but I have been in situations when I was able to stop myself vting, even though my body was desperate to do it, & that was before you could buy ant-emets at the chemist. I believe that I`ve learnt so much self-control over the years that with the help of anti-emets, there`s every chance that I`ll never v again for the rest of my life, & that`s a very uplifting thought.