Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
    FurryMane Guest

Default What can I do? I can't stand this anymore..

I've been living as an Emet since as long as i can remember.. I'm 19 now. Both my parents 'hate' being sick too...but I don't think they're as bad as me. My mums nearly as bad and can't even be with me when I'm sick, but my dad can sit with me...but he panics when he's sick..

I went to the doctors to talk about Emet and they said there's nothing they could do.

Was this doctor just being unhelpful? Is there any medication I have/take to stop my self feeling or being sick? I can't live with this anymore, I hate it..

Calypso Guest

Default Re: What can I do? I can't stand this anymore..

I think that you should talk to another doctor. You need a doc who understands how intensely this is affecting your life. A therapist would be very helpful to you especially if you can find one who specializes in phobias. Don't take no for an answer, you don't have to live your life in fear. There are ways to cure yourself you just need the support of someone who understands. Search for that professional.

sorry things are so rough for you right now.

i also think you should try another doctor.....my doctor put me on an antidepresant (prozac) which totally helps me to stop obsessing 24/7 about being sick. it hasn't cured my phobia but it's pretty manaageable now days.

please find another doctor........there really is no reason for you to suffer constantly like this ....

we are here if you need us
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yer this doctor isnt trying very hard to help find an answer for you. my doctor didnt know or wasnt sure what to do either but she put me straight onto a phsycologist and was always making future appointments to check to see how i was doing. of course there are ways to fix this. maybe do try anti depressants. they kind of work like ant aniety as well. but go see another doc. ask around and see who everyone likes. thats what i did and avoided all the slack non understanding doctors. and i can underestand how you're feeling lovey. it isnt easy and im always worried and n*, but talkin to someone like a pro really helps. there is also a section on this website for therapists and doctors that you could print out to give them a better understanding of what your going through, good luck xx
    Last edited by emmalinda; 12-17-2010 at 06:25 AM.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Like everyone else has said, I would advise you to try a different doctor and be up front about your phobia. I've found that when I tell them I consider my phobia as something that I take seriously as a health problem, they do too. Just because it's a mental health problem, doesn't make it less real than if it were a physical problem.

Also, you could see if they will prescribe you a anti nausea medicine that you could take as needed. My doctor has no problem prescribing me them as they aren't addictive or anything like that. It helps me a little knowing that i have the medicine just in case.

As far as your mom not being able to care for you when you're sick, I can relate to that unfortunately. I have a 19 year old son who i had a very difficult time taking care of when he would get sick. It always made me feel guilty knowing I couldn't care for him in his time of need.

emynrosie Guest

hmmm, i feel exactly the same as you. i hate living with this god damn phobia every day of my life. it CONTROLS my life. but i reckon you should try maybe hypnotherapy? not many people understand our phobia, not even some doctors... if you feel nauseous, you could take a nausea tablet. but the thing is, sometimes our mind plays tricks with us and the nausea we actually feel is actually created by our own mind!!!

I take pepto as a placebo. You can take anxiety meds or find you own placebo...