Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: It's My Life.

Holliee<3 Guest

Default It's My Life.

I'm new here so i figured i would share my story. I'm Hollie, I'm 17 years old, and I've been living with Emet since i was about 10. Emetophobia has changed my life incredibly, and not in a good way, although I'm used to the changes by now. I think my emetophobia all started when my mother got really sick. She wasn't even contagious. She was sick because of a medicine she was taking, after having a root canal. But thats what started it all. It just got worse when my brother, who is 5 years older than me, started doing drugs and drinking all the time. He was constantly sick from that... It was torture to live in my own house, I didn't feel safe anymore. I became depressed and I couldn't make anyone understand. I thought seriously of suicide, because nobody understood me, and i felt like a such a burden. In the 7th grade i refused to go to school. If my mother would make me, i would just end up calling someone to come pick me up. I wouldn't eat, I could barely sleep, and every time i left my house, i about had a nervous breakdown. My mother finally took me out of school and started me on a homeschool program. She also started taking me to a therapist, and i got put on an anxiety medication, which helped alot. Since then I've learned how to deal with my fears. Or at least control them better. What helped me the most was my Faith. Also animals played a major role in my learning to deal. Horses have always been a large part of my life, when i'm around horses, there's no more fear. Also, now my mother understands and supports me 100%. It took her a while, but she gets me now. She's been kinda my backbone for the past few years and i love her for that. So many people think, "oh, its no big deal. its just a little fear" but it's not "just a little fear" its a phobia, it changes a person's life. Its as real as cancer, or any other life-changing thing. I wish everyone could see that.
    anyways, thats my story (:
    oh, here's a picture of me and my biggest help against emet. (:

Default Re: It's My Life.

Holliee, thanks for sharing that - I'm glad you're doing better. Happy you found the forum and hope you get some more positive ideas reading around here.

LOVE the picture, too. That's a beautiful place you have to ride. And yes animals are most always theraputic.

Sincerely,
    David

Hollie...welcome and I hope you find a lot of support here. That is such a beautiful pic of you and your horse! I LOVE animals, especially cats and they ALWAYS
    *Melissa*

OOPS...always put me at ease! I wish you nothing but the best!
    *Melissa*

You`ve made a good choice witth horses, as they are one of the few animals that can`t v.

Really? Horses can't v*?

I love your pic, Hollie, and I can completely understand what a huge help animals are!

Holliee<3 Guest

They sure can't. they don't have a gag reflex.

Holliee<3 Guest

although sometimes they slober alot and its pretty gross... lol

ohh, never thought I'd be jealous of a horse, haha!
    My cat is mr. pukeypants...every month at least once.

also, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your story but at least you've found some comfort in your horses - that horse is gorgeous!

Horses always helped me in the earlier days of my phobia. I used to ride them a lot and of course, knew they couldn't v*. I was so jealous of them! Sadly I've been in the city for over 3 years now and barely see horses - but when I'm around horses I feel this calm serenity I just don't feel anywhere else. Sounds like you do too!

Wow, that's really interesting. I'll definitely not be as worried when I hear my friend's horses stomach's making loud noises when we're riding!! Kazzia, riding horses is so relaxing! I completely agree. I can't pretend like I've done it a lot, but when I have (two trail rides and a couple of camping trips with a friend where we rode around everywhere) especially when I've been out somewhere far away from home, it's just awesome.

Holliee<3 Guest

(: He actually isn't my horse. He belongs to a therapy riding program i voulenteer at, for people with disabilities. mainly children with autism. At the same time, its therapy for me, too.

Welcome to the site! That horse is so beautiful