Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Are you addicted to mints/ use them to cope

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

78 65.00%
  • no

42 35.00%

Hybrid View

Default Re: Are You Addicted To Mints?

Oh my god I'm so glad to read this thread. I just got done having a screaming argument with my husband about my mint problem. I've been having really bad stomach problems and I think I gave myself an ulcer from eating too many sugar free mints (ice breakers) I was going through a pack a day for a couple years (I switched to sugar free after 6 months of tic tacs gave me 7 cavities)... Now I'm back on the tic tacs and my husband can't understand why I feel like i need them so badly, I know it must look crazy to anyone who's not going through it, but I have been emetophobic since I was a child, and mints make me feel like I'm more in control and like I won't panic or be ill... I have to stop, they're ruining my health, and my behavior is causing problems, I really do behave like an addict, I sneak them when nobody is looking, I sleep with one in my mouth sometimes. Has anyone figured out a way to break the habit?

Default Re: Are You Addicted To Mints?

After ruining my teeth from mints, I just swig peppermint oil now. Herb Pharm brand is the only brand I would recommend. The others I've tried are horrendous. That's given me the same fix I need, if not better. Good luck with kicking the habit, I wish I would have before my stupid teeth started crumbling.

Quote Originally Posted by missjamie166 View Post
    Oh my god I'm so glad to read this thread. I just got done having a screaming argument with my husband about my mint problem. I've been having really bad stomach problems and I think I gave myself an ulcer from eating too many sugar free mints (ice breakers) I was going through a pack a day for a couple years (I switched to sugar free after 6 months of tic tacs gave me 7 cavities)... Now I'm back on the tic tacs and my husband can't understand why I feel like i need them so badly, I know it must look crazy to anyone who's not going through it, but I have been emetophobic since I was a child, and mints make me feel like I'm more in control and like I won't panic or be ill... I have to stop, they're ruining my health, and my behavior is causing problems, I really do behave like an addict, I sneak them when nobody is looking, I sleep with one in my mouth sometimes. Has anyone figured out a way to break the habit?