Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Are you addicted to mints/ use them to cope

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

78 65.00%
  • no

42 35.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Are You Addicted To Mints?

I found I got bad d* with the sugar free ones due to the sweetener, but the normal ones, however many never seem to have that effect on me.... maybe they just don't contain the sweetener like the others do as I know sweetener gives a laxative effect in everyone... just some people are more susceptible. So pleased to find this thread! I thought it was only me!

Oh my goodness yes, I have to have them at all times. I have to have Altoids, as they are the strongest, and I feel like they are "cooling" to my mouth. I literally buy them in 7 boxes at a time. I have them strategically placed in my husbands car, my car, my office at the house, in my purse, and on my nightstand next to my bed. Now tell me that is not obsessive!?!

I rely on these if I am getting anxious to try and calm myself down, as these mints are so strong and shocking, alot of times they help me focus on my deep breathing. (they do open up my sinuses too)

Crazy huh??!!

I'm totally addicted to spearmint chewing gum during the day when i'm in lessons at college, if i don't i just feel i am bound to vomit. Nearly all the time i wake up in the night feeling very nauseous and start chewing a menthol flavoured gum for a few seconds, this eases it immediately.
    I've also recently found that listerine mouthwash is a fantastic cure for feeling sick XD

I've never used mints to cope, for some reason I've never really felt like it helped.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Unhappy Re: Are You Addicted To Mints?

Just made a group on Facebook, as my addiction is so bad!

Addicted to Mints it is called, if you would like to join. I eat about a share sized bag a day!!

no i hate any mint flavors.

yes yes and yes! extra strong, i need at least 3 packs on me a day!

Once when I thought I had food poisoning (which I think I did due to the d* the following morning) I chewed on gum to stop myself v*ting. It took a lot of effort but eventually the feeling passed! Absolutely put my faith in the humble mint

Altoids have peppermint oil in them. :-)

Yes! I have packets laying everywere! Although some minty chewig gum which looses flavour quicky makes me want to gag!

haha! i even keep an "emergency" packet of gum just in case i run out of mints, such an unhealthy habit!

I love the taste of mints, but since peppermint actually increases stomach acid, I stay away from them when I'm having tummy issues (except to eat mint Tums).

Quote Originally Posted by Amy3006 View Post
    Definitely! I've had countless tellings off from my parents and the dentists. I am addicted to original mint polo's. I use them to cope and can sometimes get through almost an entire pack in one day! They just help to calm me down instantly and ease the feelings of nausea I get, shame is I can't have the sugar free ones due to the sweetener and the effect it has on me. I panic badly too when I don't have any on my person or close by which only makes things worse

I am trying to wean myself off of them now due to numerous fillings needed but am finding it really hard, I got down to 3 a day but that increased again with winter and the constant panic of feeling ill. Anyone got any useful tips I could use? x
    After you are done with a mint, swish water around in your mouth and teeth. It won't get rid of all the sugar but will help some.

Quote Originally Posted by asquared View Post
    Oh my goodness yes, I have to have them at all times. I have to have Altoids, as they are the strongest, and I feel like they are "cooling" to my mouth. I literally buy them in 7 boxes at a time. I have them strategically placed in my husbands car, my car, my office at the house, in my purse, and on my nightstand next to my bed. Now tell me that is not obsessive!?!

I rely on these if I am getting anxious to try and calm myself down, as these mints are so strong and shocking, alot of times they help me focus on my deep breathing. (they do open up my sinuses too)

Crazy huh??!!
    Same here - Altoids work pretty good sometimes. Also sweet tarts helps sometimes as well.

because of my gerd i cannot consume anything mint.

Yessssss!! im totally addicted to polo's... i eat about 4-5 packets a day.. how to get rid of this addiction?
    doctors told me mint is bad for reproductive system.. is this true? what are d effects?

i have tried mint soda.. n trust me it was bad.. it tasted as if i was drinking mouthwash.. i secretly eat tooth paste im highly addicted to mint <3

altoids, wintergreen flavor. My savior.

Yup. I used to always, even in my sleep, have a mint in my jaw between my lip and bottom teeth. After too long of that it literally rotted my bottom canine tooth and a couple of the surrounding teeth. Now the nerves are exposed and naturally as an emetophobe I won't go to the dentist for fear of someone touching the inside of my mouth. I love mints but they started to give me hell, so now I have to rely on just peppermint oil

Oh my god I'm so glad to read this thread. I just got done having a screaming argument with my husband about my mint problem. I've been having really bad stomach problems and I think I gave myself an ulcer from eating too many sugar free mints (ice breakers) I was going through a pack a day for a couple years (I switched to sugar free after 6 months of tic tacs gave me 7 cavities)... Now I'm back on the tic tacs and my husband can't understand why I feel like i need them so badly, I know it must look crazy to anyone who's not going through it, but I have been emetophobic since I was a child, and mints make me feel like I'm more in control and like I won't panic or be ill... I have to stop, they're ruining my health, and my behavior is causing problems, I really do behave like an addict, I sneak them when nobody is looking, I sleep with one in my mouth sometimes. Has anyone figured out a way to break the habit?

After ruining my teeth from mints, I just swig peppermint oil now. Herb Pharm brand is the only brand I would recommend. The others I've tried are horrendous. That's given me the same fix I need, if not better. Good luck with kicking the habit, I wish I would have before my stupid teeth started crumbling.

Quote Originally Posted by missjamie166 View Post
    Oh my god I'm so glad to read this thread. I just got done having a screaming argument with my husband about my mint problem. I've been having really bad stomach problems and I think I gave myself an ulcer from eating too many sugar free mints (ice breakers) I was going through a pack a day for a couple years (I switched to sugar free after 6 months of tic tacs gave me 7 cavities)... Now I'm back on the tic tacs and my husband can't understand why I feel like i need them so badly, I know it must look crazy to anyone who's not going through it, but I have been emetophobic since I was a child, and mints make me feel like I'm more in control and like I won't panic or be ill... I have to stop, they're ruining my health, and my behavior is causing problems, I really do behave like an addict, I sneak them when nobody is looking, I sleep with one in my mouth sometimes. Has anyone figured out a way to break the habit?

No, because I don't use them much. I start eating them and it wastes them.
    Last edited by khernández99; 10-08-2015 at 06:04 AM.
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can't stand mints or most chewing gum because the artificial sweeteners give me heartburn and n*.
    Do not fear: I am with you; do not be anxious: I am your God.
    I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

-Isaiah 41:10

I sometimes use mints while travelling, though often if I already feel sick I can't put anything in my mouth at all because it makes this sour taste flood my mouth that makes me feel worse :/ water is a must though, I nearly always have a bottle of water somewhere around me or on my person if I'm out

UK citizen here: Trebor Peppermint Mints. ADDICTED. Also, you don't get the laxative affects if you chose the ones that have sugar in? I asked my doctor about it, and he said to have Trebor to dodge the poop stage! xx

I voted NO I never thought of using them for my Emet.
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

Dentyne Fire cinnamon mints. Bottle of ice-cold water. Never EVER leave home without the both of them. Had a panic attack last week because I forgot the mints when I went on a 1-hour canoe ride.

I am seriously addicted to Icebreakers Mints. I also crave Icebreakers Gum. Most times i have 2 mints and one cube of gum in my mouth at all times. I open them in the store before i purchase them because i have bought stale ones and they were terrible. I will take them back to the store and try to exchange them if they are stale when i open them. If they are light blue speckled and shiny they are fresh. If the blue specks are darkened and the look of the mint is more matte than shiny they are stale. The expiration dates lie. I have several mint packages in my purse, my apron at work, my bookbag for school. I go to sleep with two in my mouth. My tongue turns blue in the middle most times. I eat them more at school and work. When i first started eating them about 2 years ago i used to eat 4 to 6 in my mouth at one time. My co workers are constantly asking me for a mint because they KNOW i have some. i dont get diarrhea like alot of people say but i do get an intense case of the farts sometimes. i feel bad for the people sitting behind me in class. i dont know what to do. i cant stop.

I'm addicted to white tic tac mints!

Definitely. I use gum, mouthwash, tooth brushing, or mints if I'm nauseous and not feeling good. At least I have nice minty breath, lol