Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Are you addicted to mints/ use them to cope

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

78 65.00%
  • no

42 35.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are You Addicted To Mints?

I am myself addicted to mints and Emetophobic, and i was wondering if anyone else was? because i know someone else who is exactly the same as me.

I remember when i was smaller, i use to brush my teeth when i felt sick, and whenever i did that i was never sick, So i think it stem's from this

Default Re: Are You Addicted To Mints?

I voted yes, i'm not addicted to them now although at one point i was but I definitely use them to cope if I get nauseous (My faves are Smints as they're so tiny you don't realy realise they are there, the thought of chomping on a big mint sweet if i feel ill just makes me worse) and I hate running out, it makes me a bit edgy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i used to be addicted to cough drops....my throat always seemed so dry...i'm sure from anxiety.

i do eat little cinnamon candies when i'm bloated because they seem to get rid of the bloat........

i am voting yes.....because at one time it was a part of my emet ritual.
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Im addicted to mint chewing gum. It helps me when Im n* cos my mouth gets dry (probably due to the panic I feel). Sometimes when Im really feeling ill I can only nibble at tiny pieces of gum and I hate going anywhere without a pack. I go through about 5 packs a week!

Yep, I go through mints like crazy. I buy sugar free though because they were killing my teeth. I can be anxious, pop a mint in and instantly feel somewhat more relaxed for at least a minuet or two
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

I have Tictacs (or however you spell it lol!) in my purse and I ONLY buy Mint Maalox. I find that smelling the mint when I'm panicing helps me calm down, though it's probably more the deep controlled breaths through the nose vs the actual mint smell.

I wonder why mint is so soothing? Maybe because it's so fresh and clean?
    Just remember to breath....

TIC TACS is my choice.

Yep but I'm cutting down now because mint is really bad for acid reflux :/ That's probably why my acid reflux is so bad, I go through two packages of Mento's each day..
    I'm also addicted to Ginger. I used to have an issue with Ginger Gravol, the type you just suck on or chew, but I got over that. Whenever I felt off I'd take one. I'd easily go through twenty in under a week. Nothing bad ever happened but I knew it wasn't good so I stopped.
    Mint is amazing <3

I voted no because I no longer am. In fact, haven't had a mint in the house or in my purse in quite a while. Don't think about it anymore. However, I used to be highly addicted to tic tacs - and they had to be the white ones! lol. I used to stock-pile them "just in case" and always had several packs in my purse. Then about a year ago or so, there was a tic tac recall here where I live so you can imagine I went into panic mode over not being able to get my beloved tic tacs! The reason for the recall is that ONE person had reported finding a piece of plastic in the container. Big woopdy-do. So before they could take them off the shelves I started going around the city buying every pack I could find! hahaha I laugh now at how insane this was but at the time, it felt like a matter of life and death.

Then after the recall, for several months, none of the stores carried any... and I had run out! So I called the makers of tic tacs hahaha (yes I really did) and they told me that they would be back on the shelves within a month. A MONTH?!!!! Was she insane? I needed them NOW! hahaha

Anyway... I survived, albeit not easily, without tic tacs for that month or so. That's when I discovered Altoids (originals) which for me were a great, but more expensive, substitute for tic tacs.

So yes, I was insanely addicted to mints... much like an addict to her drug of choice. Now that my emetophobia is non-existent, my need for mints is also gone.

I am totally addicted to mints and chewing! Its so bad infact that I can't sleep without a chewing gum in my mouth! Which is really bad as obviously you can choke my husband has had to cut it out of my hair before! I can't leave the house without mints or chewing gum in my bag and panic if I haven't got any!

im addicted to spearmint gum
    I have panic attacks when I realize I dont have any left.

I love mint cookies and candy when I'm in the mood for them, but otherwise I dont need them or want them all that often at all. I think I had 5 or 6 mint cookies all year!

I actually rather hate strong minty flavors :P

If they are spearmint then yes!
    Pfffft!

I voted yes, but I use peppermint gums usually, and not mints, but sometimes mints when I'm out of gum or I'm gassy (gum makes my gas worse). It helps the dry mouth from anxiety, and also that gaggy feeling. And gives me somethign to do with my mouth besides biting my lips.

Same ^ lol i ALWAYS have peppermint gum with me just in case. It lasts longer than mints (in my opinion) and it makes me feel instantly calmer once I've had some!

i am addicted to mint. mint shampoo, mint shower gel, mint soap, mint lotion, mint lip balm, mint everything. every single day of my life i have to have mint, otherwise i’d feel so sick. i have no idea why. but yes, i’m also anemic. i have always been. this is the first time i’ve heard about a connection between mint and anemia. maybe i need to do more research. 80 percent of my web research and people whom i've talked to who have mint addiction as well have one thing in common which is being anemic. weird huh. not that i want to let go of my love for mints(yes, it is pure love for me), but it would be interesting to know if it actually affects the body physically.

I Love Spearmint <3
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

Polos for me :-)

I thought it was just me!!! I am totally addicted to polos, I have to have them with me all of the time-they are completely ruining my teeth though.

Need to get some more mints! I love Smints The little box is just so cute XD

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

I voted yes, even though it's technically gum that I'm addicted to. I refuse to eat cinnamon mints when I'm nauseous though, as I sucked on some before a particularly bad episode. -_-

Cinnamon mints sound rank horrible anyway! Cinnamon is LUSH on its own && mint is nice on its own but put them together and no uh uh it just does not work! x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Dream View Post
    Cinnamon mints sound rank horrible anyway! Cinnamon is LUSH on its own && mint is nice on its own but put them together and no uh uh it just does not work! x
    Lol they actually weren't that bad! Until later anyway. xD

Yes, on really bad days i eat just Extra Strong mints!!! They have totally wrecked my teecth though!!

Halls!
    I can't live without them.
    Yes, I'm addicted to mints.

Spearmint gum. Always have to have it with me. Helps with panic attacks and nausea. Also have a bottle of water with me whenever I'm at work or out and about.

Bottle of water for me is a must, I drink wayyy too much water though! x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

Yeah lol i can't go anywhere without some type of mint! That's why i like brushing my teeth because the mint makes me feel better and wards off feelings of n* and v*ing

Definitely! I've had countless tellings off from my parents and the dentists. I am addicted to original mint polo's. I use them to cope and can sometimes get through almost an entire pack in one day! They just help to calm me down instantly and ease the feelings of nausea I get, shame is I can't have the sugar free ones due to the sweetener and the effect it has on me. I panic badly too when I don't have any on my person or close by which only makes things worse

I am trying to wean myself off of them now due to numerous fillings needed but am finding it really hard, I got down to 3 a day but that increased again with winter and the constant panic of feeling ill. Anyone got any useful tips I could use? x

Did you know that numerous amount of mints can cause a laxative effect!! x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog