Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

I hear that many emets can go years without throwing up. This is probably due to a combination of good hygiene and will-power.

For me, I haven't thrown up for about 20 years! How about anyone else?

Take care,

Darrin

There is a poll on here with this same question.

I went about 16 years.

Last time I vomited was 3 years ago. I'll see if I can make it another 13 years before the next time comes.

Thanks for letting me know about the other poll with the same question Kellybeth. I am a new member, and I did not notice it.

That must have been very scary when you threw up 3 years ago. After all, you probably forgot what it was like after going 16 years without doing it. I would have hoped that vomiting 3 years ago would have cured your emetophobia since you were forced to "face your fear". Sadly, this doesn't sound like the case. Good luck on your next 16 years!

As for me, I have no recollection of what vomiting is like anymore. It has been too long. I just don't remember the body sensations that go along with it.

Even though there is a similar poll elsewhere, feel free to add comments about this issue if you wish.

Take care,

Darrin

Somebody posts this as a poll question about every fourth month.

33 years.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

About 8 years.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

6 years for me (SV, which wasn't that bad) - but had a horrible bout the year before that (stoopid college dining hall food [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] )

before the pregnancy and m*s* it has been 2 years since having f*p* and the worst v* episodes of my life....it cured my emet for about 2 months!

Almost 25 years!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

12 years right now. I was just a child when I V* last! came really close, closest ever about 3 years ago but never did. was popping gravol as perscribed and didn't V* from the noro virus!!!

I like posts like this, they are encouraging! It makes me believe that I can go many years without v* (hopefully).
    Not counting v* from alcohol four years ago, it has been about 11 or 12 years for me. I can't recall how old I was when it happened, but it was horrible...and wow, 33 years without v*? I wish!!

I don't even remember. Does retching counts?
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)

Of course not. Retching is not puking.

It was over 10 years until getting noro last December.

Mary - 25 years, i'm jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1
    Of course not. Retching is not puking.
    Why not? Everything is the same except you don't smell it.
    GRAPHIC!
    You hypersalivate, you feel as if your guts (intestines?) are tearing up, you can even taste vomit. The only difference is that you vomit saliva not food.

I think technically food/stomach contents do actually have to come right back up for it be classed as v* although for me personally retching/gagging is only just marginally less distressing than actually v*

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek
    I think technically food/stomach contents do actually have to come right back up for it be classed as v* although for me personally retching/gagging is only just marginally less distressing than actually v*

Me too. The whole thought of gagging and retching is allmost as bad as actually vomiting.

For me it was around 13 years, if you count v* triggered by pain. I v* due to pain (horrible menstrual cramps) when I was 16 or 17 (1994 or 95) and not again until I had an SV at right before i turned 30

Ick, Amanda. I'm glad that's never happened to me.

I don't think retching counts. I retch on a daily basis LOL it doesn't bother me unless I know I'm really close to V* I'm a weird emet.

You are lucky because it's even worse than vomiting - it's not over that quick. But it def can count as an episode.

Why not? Everything is the same except you don't
    smell it.
    GRAPHIC!
    You hypersalivate, you feel as if your guts (intestines?)
    are tearing up, you can even taste vomit. The only
    difference is that you vomit saliva not food.
    I only remember that ever happening to me when I was a kid
    and had nothing left in my stomach after days of being
    sick. What would cause that otherwise?
    'I am a sick man...I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I think my liver is diseased. Then again, I don't know a thing about my illness; I'm not even sure what hurts.'

Quote Originally Posted by john f.
    What would cause that otherwise?
    I don't know. My stomach was full but nothing came out, even though I had three long-lasting retching episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by tanechka1984
    You are lucky because it's even worse than vomiting - it's not over that quick. But it def can count as an episode.

i think retching counts bc if you ask me....it has the same taste, its the same feeling, and it hurts soooo much worse than actual v* does.

27 years!

I retched two months ago when I was extremely ill with the flu. It happened twice and I was really hoping I'd actually v* because the pain from it was excruciating. I don't think anything would come up because my stomach was completely empty.

It was 22 years until I caught rotavirus last Christmas at 32 weeks pregnant and was hospitalized for 3 days for dehydration from v* and d*.

Last time for me was 1988.

I think emets are the only ones who would lump retching together with actual vomiting. Can you imagine a normal person saying they were sick over the weekend if they only retched a couple of times?

Doug
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 03-06-2010 at 12:57 AM.

2008, before that it was 2002.

Ah May of 2007! Only once and I was pregnant so it wasn't viral related.
    before that it was May of 2003 and before that it was May of 2002.

Let us just say I do not like the month of May very much [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]
    Life is so worth living.